Author Topic: FAQ: 30 pin Extension Cable Recommendations  (Read 23384 times)

Kevin

• Door #1
  • Padawan
FAQ: 30 pin Extension Cable Recommendations
« on: March 22, 2013, 03:00:16 PM »
Is anyone using a 30 pin extension cable that they would recommend?

I'd like to be able to plug my iPad into the DL1608 without having to remove the protective case (which is a PIA).

I bought a neXplug 4 foot extension cable from Amazon, which did not work. The neXplug got decent reviews and is a full 30 pin connector (not just power), but on the unit I got, it appears that the female 30pin connector was not formed correctly in the housing. There is about 1/16 inch gap between the front of the plastic housing and the actual 30 pin female connector on the inside. This prevents the contacts from mating completely to the male connector on the DL1608. When I plug in my iPad, the battery alarm beeps continuously (not seeing charge).  Also, the male end of the cable, is a good bit thicker than the 30 pin connector on the charger, so it doesnt fit through the protective case very well.

I sent the neXplug back and ordered another extension cable from a different manufacturer. While I'm waiting, I figured I'd check to see if anyone has done this successfully - and for anyone else who is thinking about this, I would advise against the neXplug.

>> tldr: The most reliable cable appears to be the 2' CableJive. If you can keep your iPad close to fully charged, you may be able to use the 6' CableJive cable as well.  Both of these are around $25. A  Patazon 3 ft cable (costs $5) is only reliable when the iPad is fully charged
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 01:38:16 AM by Kevin »

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
Re: 30 pin extension cable recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 03:35:15 PM »
We've tried many different cables and not had one work consistently :( .

Kevin

• Door #1
  • Padawan
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 04:23:01 PM »
Dang! that was not the answer I was looking for - but thanks for the response.

Anyone else have any luck with using an extension cable to connect the iPad to the DL?

The iPad docking mechanism on the DL seems pretty slick at first, but it only works with a naked iPad - and a bar or club is not a good place for a naked iPad.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 07:40:52 PM »
I haven't had any problems with my $9 Chinese 3ft cable all 30 wires. Never disconnected or acted flackey. Bought of eBay but I don't have particulars. I'll see if I can find the paperwork. What I did find out dealing with the iPad/DL sort of USB connection is that the iPad can be run thru a powered hub ( PC as master iPad as slave) while the DL wont. More crappy Mackie code or hardware. Their driver is not very forgiving and locked up consistently on hot plugs of various combinations that I tried in case the USB OTG (On The Go) was implemented in some fashion. Remember that neither Apple or Mackie claim to comply with the USB standard but Apple at least can deal with a hub. Had to power the DL off to recover. Conclusion is that Mackie's code or hardware in the DL may be the larger part of the problem than the cable. Impedance and capacitance of the cable may also aggravate this fragile system.
When in doubt KISS

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 08:16:23 PM »
I actually have a cable that used to work but didn't when I tried it earlier this week :( . It also now doesn't like to detach from the iPad so I'm afraid it will damage it anyways. Maybe it was stepped on or something - I'll have to take a better look at it. In any case at least one other guy here bought the same cable and it didn't work for him.

Kevin

• Door #1
  • Padawan
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 10:04:23 PM »
It also now doesn't like to detach from the iPad

dont forget that on some of these extension cables, you have to squeeze the male end to get it to let go.

Impedance and capacitance of the cable may also aggravate this fragile system

hmm.. good point. I might see if I can find a shorter cable. 4 feet seemed like it would be handy, but 12 inches would be workable and may be more reliable.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 12:13:44 AM »
I forgot one of the factors in this USB problem could very well be the iPad version. I am using iPad 3 older version could have different electronics. The USB specs are about timing and electronic characteristics not length. I know that Sabrent markets 32 ft. , 64 ft. and 100 ft cables for USB 2.0 or older. I don't know if they work or not but would be a clean solution. I will be trying their other solution for USB extensions  for up to 150 ft. USB > Ethernet > USB  cat6 cable once I find my 100ft. cat6 cables. Software transparent ???? We'll see. Ebay has tons of 30pin cables for sale from shenzhen China or New York for 3.50 to 6.00 ( mine actually cost 3.99 including shipping).
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 06:14:26 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 07:01:50 AM »
OK!  Tested the Sabrent USB 2.0 extender on the iPad first (100 ft. cat6 cable). The iPad had trouble with ID protocol to the PC (iTunes)  and eventually I managed a connection. Definitely not reliable. Ipad would skip to the next song at random. Then there was the question of the Sabrent extender working as advertised so I hauled out an old  WD2500 USB 2.0/Firewire 400 backup drive and tested it on USB. Two hours of music playing off the WD without missing a beat let alone disconnecting convinced me that Sabrent extender was solid. It also worked thru the hub for another 3 ft.  :)  Conclusion: iPad is a poor implementation of USB 2.0 either hardware or drivers or both. Of course they don't claim to be. Why inter-operate with other equipment? It's Apple or nothing. Mackies implementation is even worse. The longest cable that would work between iPad and DL is the 3 ft extension. All other attempts to go beyond 3 ft. (ie. 6 ft.) failed. Ethernet which is the other route fails for lack of driver support in the iPad. Combine this with with Apple crippleware and you have no hardwired long distance solution AFAIK. Give me a PC app for the DL. Oh that's called a iX16.

When in doubt KISS

Kevin

• Door #1
  • Padawan
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 03:21:03 PM »
you have no hardwired long distance solution AFAIK

Bummer, although I'm glad to know that you have a reliable 3 foot cable.  So there is some hope for a short distance solution

I have a "Patazon" 3 ft extension cable on the way. Anyone try one of those? How about either the 2 foot or 6 foot CableJive extenders? Those are pricey but get good reviews.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 06:53:53 AM »
Update on Sabrent extender!!!! It's going back. :( I tried to transfer about 500Mb to the backup and it took forever it seems ~5Min. Hate to see the error rate. It certainly wasn't transferring at 480 Mbs. Switched to a 6ft USB and 25 seconds later the transfer was complete. Not good for general use, music wav files will play however. I think they only need 12Mbs at CD rates.
When in doubt KISS

lightguy48

• Padawan
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 04:39:31 PM »
I have yet to find a reliable one either, I've tried 3 so far and just gave up.

I'm guessing it's more the DL1608 than the iPad

Kevin

• Door #1
  • Padawan
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 05:45:55 PM »
My "Patazon" 3 ft extension cable arrived this morning!

For a grand total of $5.53 delivered, it works a whole lot better than the neXplug did - although it still has some issues.

The Patazon cable is a lot easier to plug into the iPad with the Ballistic Tough Jacket - the plastic around the male end is slimmer and fits though the dock opening of the case with no fiddling.
No more constant battery beeping, and the iPad chargers correctly.  Both Master Fader and the iTunes music player communicate with the DL with no problems. I've been playing tunes through the cable (no router) and the DL hooked up to a couple monitors for about an hour with no hiccups.

Now for the issues - both garageband and the JL Audio RTA app worked for a bit, but then dropped out. In the case of garage band, I went to the smart drum page, set up a random hip-hop beat and it played through a couple monitors (ie through the cable to the DL). After a couple minutes, it stopped by itself. When I hit play again, the sound came through the iPads speaker, not the DL. Disconnecting and re-connecting the cable put the signal back through the DL again, but again only for a few minutes. Then it drops out and goes through the iPad speakers. This seems a little odd. I had assumed that the iTunes player and garageband are using the same input to the DL, but iTunes seems solid, while garageband always drops out after a little bit. 

Similar thing for the JL audio RTA - the RTA app gets the audio input from the DL for a while, then after a few minutes it switches to the iPad's mic.

I'm at a bit of a loss to explain this. My best guess is that there is still some sort of occasional garbage on the digital input to the iPad, which is confusing the garageband and JL audio apps, but for some reason Master Fader and the iTunes player are able to ignore this.

Unless anyone else has a better idea about what is going on, I'm planning to try the CableJive extender cables next. According to the mfg website, the cables were redesigned in May 2012 to incorporate "A revolutionary 2-tier shielding system puts all video and audio signals inside a separate shielding to reduce interference from the other signals traveling through the wire." - which I am hoping is marketing-speak for "we finally figured out how to keep these damn cables from flaking out". CableJive makes both 2 and 6 foot cables. 6 foot would be handy, but I could live with 2 ft

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 05:56:03 PM »
Thanks! Even a two foot cable that works 100% would be great 8) .

Oddeotek

• Padawan
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2013, 01:18:21 AM »
I have the 6 foot CableJive 30 pin extension cable. It was pricey but well made and has worked perfectly for three months of daily use. I never dock my iPad anymore. I just bought an iPad mini along with the outrageously high priced 30 pin to lightning adapter cable. Plugging the adapter cable into the extension cable works fine too.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 01:34:31 AM »
^ That's great news, thanks :) ! Which regular iPad do you use it with - Original, iPad 2, or New Ipad (AKA gen 1, 2, or 3) ?