Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Phantom Power ?

<< < (5/6) > >>

RoadRanger:
dpdan says he's happy with the results of "Y"ing together condenser mics and I've had no issues with doing it for dynamic mics over the last 35 years. Dunno why you're having a cow over it :P. We have no problem if you want to do it differently :) . With only 16 channels this is a common issue users of the DL1608 face. My EV drum mic kit has 10 mics - two kicks, snare, high hat, two rack toms, two floor toms, and two overheads. IMO it's up to the operator how he wants to do it - I was just reorganizing my stuff today and have four of each "gender" of "Y" cord (MMF & FFM) ;D.

WK154:
I did say "I totally get it !!!!" in case you missed it. I just offered a more flexible alternative which meets" best practices" and I don't see why your having a cow about it! I never go to a gig with minimum gear. I know beforehand what my requirements are. I leave at least 2-4 inputs available for Murphy.  I may be in a better position to match gear to gig (6 roadworthy mixers out of 27 (I was informed by the boss to lighten the load! for move day). I have over 50yrs in this business but I am now having some fun and being picky.

WK154:
Thinking about that drummer and his requirements, let him have his own mixer 8 (12 if you insist) should be plenty and let him mix. Not much more than the mic combiner. Then the overall mix won't be drowned out  by drums since you have one input from him and control the rest of the sound. Sounds fair to everyone except possibly the drummer.

RoadRanger:

--- Quote from: WK154 on March 26, 2013, 11:54:49 PM ---I leave at least 2-4 inputs available for Murphy. I may be in a better position to match gear to gig (6 roadworthy mixers out of 27
--- End quote ---
Here we're mostly talking about living within the DL1608's channel count - and most of us won't have a bigger mixer available or don't want to hump around a 24 channel board and snake and racks of outboard. That's why most of us bought the DL1608 :) .

WK154:
I hear you so give the drummer which uses 10 out of you 16 inputs his own mixer and be done with it! You'll even have some spares in case one of the inputs dies. Small analog and you won't even notice it with all the other gear, short cables and he can adjust to his hearts content.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version