Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Newb with a few questions

(1/2) > >>

Yorgaki1:
I picked up my 1608 a few weeks ago and have used it on 3 gigs. I now have a few questions, as Im not sure if My unit is malfunctioning.

First, my channel meters show boatloads of crosstalk. Adjacent channels that are not in use show a signal present within the master fader app, no signal evident at the mic pre led.

Second, Ive used the first 2 auxes for monitor mixes, and Im hearing a low level what sounds like a high pitch whir sound, in the monitors, like computer generated rf. ive tried new cables and relocating the router etc. its not distracting during the gig as our stage level masks it.

Love the dl but still getting comfortable in use. Im a Greek bouzouki player and have always run my own sound from stage. Looking forward to Greek festival season as the dl will be a godsend setting levels and tweaking foh sound during the fest.

Looking forward to channel linking!

George

RoadRanger:

--- Quote from: Yorgaki1 on March 25, 2013, 12:06:41 AM ---First, my channel meters show boatloads of crosstalk. Adjacent channels that are not in use show a signal present within the master fader app, no signal evident at the mic pre led.
--- End quote ---
That's normal if there is nothing plugged into the channels showing the "crosstalk".
--- Quote ---Second, Ive used the first 2 auxes for monitor mixes, and Im hearing a low level what sounds like a high pitch whir sound, in the monitors, like computer generated rf. ive tried new cables and relocating the router etc. its not distracting during the gig as our stage level masks it.
--- End quote ---
Are you using balanced TRS cables or instrument type unbalanced TS cables? The latter are known to result in the noise you describe :( .

WK154:
The spec certainly doesn't make this a "normal" condition. Their claim is -120 dB at 1kHz crosstalk for inputs which is what the magic meters are suppose to indicate. More Mackie magic. My unit shows no visible meter bars at 40dB gain (knob value) for all inputs no source except for the 0 dB 1kHz signal on channel 1.  If you have all channels except the one with the signal turned fully counterclockwise (nothing plugged into 2-16 ) and you see a meter bar you have a problem. Preamp gain should actually allow more than 40 dB gain before you see a bar. At fully clockwise (60 dB) you should have -40dB bar showing. According to their spec you should see nothing at full gain! Were dealing with the analog part of the mixer only, there can be no crosstalk at the digital sections. With an input of 100 ohms average mic level there is no difference from open. At 0 ohms there is a reduction and what's left over is the poor 48V phantom power fluctuation and preamp problems according to my observations. The mic pre led's typically light at -20dBu. If your unit doesn't come close to these observation you need to send it back and have them extract the worm that came with the Tequila (made in Mexico).

RoadRanger:
The spec is for the channel properly terminated. Having nothing plugged in is NOT properly terminated ;) . I actually asked Mackie about this and this was their explanation - makes sense to me :) .

WK154:
RR,
Mackie says a lot of things but reality is different. With their present screwed up meters  who knows (prior lost post). I tried this on my DL1608 and that's what I got.
"With an input of 100 ohms average mic level there is no difference from open. "
 Termination into 100 ohms made no difference (proper termination). What magic termination are they talking about? Maybe they should publish the spec setup being used or identify the test spec (IEC, AES etc.). Shorting the input reduced the noise as expected. I didn't haul out my meters to check the real values just went by their meters.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version