Author Topic: Modified SKB Studio Flyer Case for DL1608  (Read 17049 times)

Kruemel

• Youngling
Modified SKB Studio Flyer Case for DL1608
« on: March 25, 2013, 11:38:36 AM »
Hi at all,
I'm new in using the DL 1608 and had a look into the old Mackie forum for getting the needed information .

There was a thread about someone who modified a SKB case.
Does anyone knows who has wrote this topic?
I'm interested in something similar. I want to include the wireless stuff for two mics and a XML patch panel into the DL1608 case.

btw...many thanks to all who organized a new forum!  :thu:
I appreciate the know how transfer between users.

Greetings from Germany
Roland
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 01:58:59 PM by RoadRanger »
Sorry....I can't understand....I'm only playing the bass!

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 01:59:22 PM by RoadRanger »

Kruemel

• Youngling
Re: Modified case for DL1608
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 04:28:51 PM »
Hi RoadRanger, you're the man who made my day!
Thanks a lot! This is what i'm looking for.
Sorry....I can't understand....I'm only playing the bass!

Fozadabo

• Youngling
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 02:45:07 AM »
Greetings!

I was the user that posted the modified SKB Studio Flyer project.  Let me know if I can be of any help with your project.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 03:41:47 AM »
I was the user that posted the modified SKB Studio Flyer project.  Let me know if I can be of any help with your project.
Thanks for stopping by! Would you mind if I re-posted your project from the defunct forum here? Google's cache of it will probably disappear soon :( .

Fozadabo

• Youngling
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 12:22:32 PM »
Feel free to repost.  The links should still be active.  If there is any difficulty reposting I can always redo the post.  Thanks for your attention to the forum!

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 01:54:29 PM »
Quote from: Fozadabo
Long time lurker first time poster. I thought I'd share a project that has been working well for me. It's a converted SKB Studio Flyer that is used as an in-ear/conventional mixer rig for my main band. We currently have 2 members using in-ears (one wired) and 3 using wedges, and this takes care of all of us. The overall dimensions of the case are 13.5" H x 18.75" W x 24.5" L. Please let me know what you think!

Link to finished project: http://imageshack.us/g/1/10028742/

Link to the case mod: http://imageshack.us/g/1/10028766/

« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 02:01:12 PM by RoadRanger »

tthor

• Youngling
Re: Modified SKB Studio Flyer Case for DL1608
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 03:08:40 PM »
This is a nice mod! Well done! How much would you say the total package weighs? Thanks

Fozadabo

• Youngling
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 05:31:09 PM »
I'd have to take a guess at this point, but I think it's around 30-35 lbs.  The case has a great pull out handle and wheels for moving it any distance.  There are also nice grab handles on both ends.  I've lugged it around one handed but only short distances.  It's a very balanced two handed carry.

For everything that's included in the case the weight seems reasonable: DL1608, 13mm birch internal mounting frame, internal power strip, 16 channels of 3 way split, output/power panel, rear rack rails, 2 space vent panels, wireless IEM transmitter, Airport Express, external power strip (nests in the lid) and cabling to hook it all together!

tthor

• Youngling
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 06:08:35 PM »
I have been trying to put together everything that you have in yours, with the exception of the splitter. Would like to keep it around 25 - 30 lbs and carry it in like a suitcase, take the lid off, multipin connect a couple 8 channel stage boxes, give it power and go. Your rig is very close to what I want. I appreciate your sharing it.

Fozadabo

• Youngling
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 06:19:09 PM »
You may want to check out the 2 space version of this case.  It's smaller and lighter and designed as a carry-on size for airlines.  It was too tight for me to use but might work great for what you have in mind.  The dimensions are very close to the DL1608 width-wise, but I'm sure that the clever mob around here could figure out a way to make it work.

tthor

• Youngling
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 12:16:40 AM »
The wheels have been turning all afternoon and I think that the 4 spacer is the best bet for me as well. Can you tell me what the thickness of your birch is and how you went about fastening in the 2 side pieces? Thanks!

Fozadabo

• Youngling
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 07:58:43 PM »
The birch used for this project started off as the shipping crate for a very expensive delivery of custom alder that was used to trim out the lower level of a house that I was working on last year.  It is very similar to standard 1/2" (13mm) Baltic Birch.  It's a tad thicker, but since it was laying around and was fairly lightweight I put it to use.  You shouldn't need anything thicker than 1/2" material.

The side panels were attached to the case behind the rack rails.  The case comes with one set of rack rails, and I added them to the other side.  Above is a picture of the side panels.  They were cut to standard 4u height (7") in order to leave access for nesting cables behind the panels.  The length was determined by what I could sneak into the case behind each flange that supports the rack rails.  I don't remember the final measurement.  There ended up being plenty of surface area behind each flange.  One thing to note is that the factory rails are attached with rivets.  I needed to create cutout slots in the side panels to fit around the shaft of the rivet as well as shallower slots to fit around the spread flange of the rivets.  Without these cutouts the panels sat 3/16" off of the flange.

This pic shows the mounting methods.  The factory rails were attached to the case using 4 rivets.  This left additional holes in the rail that I could use for mounting.  I fit the panels, predrilled 3 mounting holes, removed the panels and installed t-nuts from the back side.  After that I just lined up the holes and screwed it in.  The opposite side required a different method.  I ended up using longer (3/4") rivets and backing washers to attach the case flange to the side panel.  I had contemplated using t-nuts and screws in this area as well, but noticed it would add difficulty installing and removing the rack gear past the screw head (the case opening is about 19 1/8").  The rivets have a much lower head profile, so there you go.  The rack rails on this side were attached with 3/4" woodscrews.  The rails ended up mounting into the plywood directly behind the flange.  Having a chance to do it over I would have used t-nut on this side as well, but as these things go I was in a time crunch to finish the case and had to order the rails for this side so I couldn't be sure of the mounting hole alignment.  It's plenty sturdy as is.

Hope that helps!  Cruise to the CASE MOD link in an earlier post for a few more pics of the internal structure.  Let me know what else I can help with!

tthor

• Youngling
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2013, 08:16:46 PM »
You have been a world of help. I've ordered the case and I'm looking forward to this little project. Your concept is an ideal approach for what I need, so I'm excited. Thanks Again!

musicman7722

• Knight
    • Triple Play
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2013, 11:05:55 PM »
Awesome and just what i need yet way beyond my skill sets.   :'(