Author Topic: FAQ: Reverb Not Working?  (Read 16962 times)

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
FAQ: Reverb Not Working?
« on: March 26, 2013, 06:17:39 PM »
If you are having problems getting your reverb to work at all remember that there are three faders and two mutes in the reverb signal path :o !

Simple place to start:
Go to the "REV" page (selected on the right) and turn up the channel sends for the channels you want reverb on to "0". Then turn the master fader to the right up to "0" and make sure the master is not muted there right above the master fader. Now switch back to the "LR" page and turn the reverb fader up to about -10 (use this to vary the amount of reverb you want) and unmute the reverb just above its fader and you should be up and running :) .
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 05:03:01 PM by RoadRanger »

dashauer

• Initiate
Re: FAQ: Reverb Not Working?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 06:15:24 PM »
Thanks, I forgot about the delay aux master as I haven't touched it since the first time I opened them up, and that was the problem!  And thanks for keeping the forum alive.  I expect I'll get my response from Mackie sometime about the middle of next week.

D

dellerton

• Youngling
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 08:47:34 PM »
Love my brand new DL1608.  BUT, I can't seem to get reverbs (or delays) working.  We've just been using AUX 1-3 sends for monitors for rehearsal.  Can you get reverb for AUX sends, or is this just for LR (haven't tried that yet)?  I think I have all faders up, as well as mutes off as you describe.  Thanks!

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 09:25:20 PM »
One one of the aux "pages" there are separate faders for the reverb and delay over toward the right where the aux master is. You have to turn those up to "-10" on each aux you want reverb and delay in.

dellerton

• Youngling
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 09:30:01 PM »
Thanks. They are up, too. Seems like I'm missing something. When I have it set up I'll like this, I don't see any send Level on the meter going to the reverb settings tab.

CyberHippy

• Padawan
  • Bass Bass Bass
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 02:53:08 PM »
The part that usually trips me up is that the channel you want reverb on has to be up in the Main Mix or you don't get any verb anywhere else - it's post-fader.

I really wish that wasn't the case because I use the 1608 in situations where I don't always want the track up in the mains but want verb there (snare, especially when the player has a loud snare hit)…

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 03:27:48 PM »
The part that usually trips me up is that the channel you want reverb on has to be up in the Main Mix or you don't get any verb anywhere else - it's post-fader.

I really wish that wasn't the case because I use the 1608 in situations where I don't always want the track up in the mains but want verb there (snare, especially when the player has a loud snare hit)…
Yes, same for horns where they want their horn and 'verb in their monitors but you don't need the horn in the mains, just 'verb.

dellerton

• Youngling
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 08:55:21 PM »
Thanks, guys.  I am sure this is what I am missing.  We've been using the DL1608 at rehearsals and haven't had the mains on.  But this makes sense!  I'll try when I get to the rehearsal space, but thanks for all of your help!

dellerton

• Youngling
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 12:47:45 PM »
Thanks, everyone, for your help.  That did the trick.  EVerything worked last night at rehearsal.  Yes, the idea that the reverb (and delay) is a master AND post-fader on the mains (LR) had escaped me.  So, since this is a FAQ:

**** To get reverb working on ANY output, you must have the fader UP in the mains (LR) output (or your AUXs won't get anything).

You guys are the best!

CyberHippy

• Padawan
  • Bass Bass Bass
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 03:18:44 PM »
No problemo, may all your mixes be balanced & feedback-free!

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 01:49:14 AM »
Thanks, everyone, for your help.  That did the trick.  EVerything worked last night at rehearsal.  Yes, the idea that the reverb (and delay) is a master AND post-fader on the mains (LR) had escaped me.  So, since this is a FAQ:

**** To get reverb working on ANY output, you must have the fader UP in the mains (LR) output (or your AUXs won't get anything).

You guys are the best!

Well I don't know how it worked for you or whether you just misstated the process but as it stands it's incorrect. Let me point you to pg 136 of the Mackie manual, make a copy or two and get a highlighter and trace out what you want to do. Although there are errors and omissions on the block diagram none affect this. For FX (verb and delay) the essential fader to enable is the channel fader without which no dry signal can reach the FX bus. The channel fader control is in the LR view. The signal will then encounter two additional faders before reaching the FX process and once again will encounter another fader on exit to the LR and Aux buses along with 3 mutes along the way. Confusing, yes. There are enough faders to control the level of the wet signal for whatever balance you may want. The main (LR) output has nothing to do with this and can be off if all you need is Aux outputs. The summed Aux signal (Bus) can then be processed some more and controlled with an additional mute and final fader.  Rename this thing the "Many Confusing Faders" console. Mackie's failure to clearly mark all the faders makes it even more difficult to understand. Not trying to confuse you here. For the more seasoned a pre/post to the FX bus would have been useful.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 05:30:31 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

dellerton

• Youngling
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 04:16:34 PM »
All I know is this:  I tried everything suggested by this forum and everything you suggest.  Sill no reverb and delay. We were only using Aux monitor sends at rehearsal. All the faders in the LR section were down (each channel and the master for that output).  Couldn't get a lick of reverb or delay. At the suggestion of Cyberhippy, I merely turned up my channel fader (not the LR master output fader) in the LR mix and suddenly reverb showed up on the Aux sends. Nothing else changed. I guess, in re-reading your post we are saying the same thing.

Again, thanks for the help.

You guys are the best!

Well I don't know how it worked for you or whether you just misstated the process but as it stands it's incorrect. Let me point you to pg 136 of the Mackie manual, make a copy or two and get a highlighter and trace out what you want to do. Although there are errors and omissions on the block diagram none affect this. For FX (verb and delay) the essential fader to enable is the channel fader without which no dry signal can reach the FX bus. The signal will then encounter two additional faders before reaching the FX process and once again will encounter another fader on exit to the LR and Aux buses along with 3 mutes along the way. Confusing, yes. There are enough faders to control the level of the wet signal for whatever balance you may want. The main (LR) output has nothing to do with this and can be off if all you need is Aux outputs. The summed Aux signal (Bus) can then be processed some more and controlled with an additional mute and final fader.  Rename this thing the "Many Confusing Faders" console. Mackie's failure to clearly mark all the faders makes it even more difficult to understand. Not trying to confuse you here. For the more seasoned a pre/post to the FX bus would have been useful.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 04:49:52 PM »
Funny thing is I had this happen at a rehearsal years ago with a MixWiz - we'd just use our monitors as that's what we'd be hearing at a gig 8).
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 04:51:34 PM by RoadRanger »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 05:32:08 PM »
Added highlight and hopefully clarity to the above post.
When in doubt KISS