Author Topic: Master Fader V2.0 Wants and Speculation  (Read 126353 times)

nottooloud

• Knight
Re: Master Fader V2.0 Wants and Speculation
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2013, 12:28:43 AM »
User presets only exist in the iPad where you saved them :( .

Hence my feature request. If you have to fresh start an iPad, they're gone.

JMc

• Padawan
« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2013, 06:58:29 PM »
Hi, I'm new here.  My "want" is simple, but probably impossible.  I'd like to be able to record on my iPad off one or more of the monitor sends rather than off the mains, so I can control the recording mix better.  My band mates prefer to use their own amps on guitar, bass and keys, running only the acoustic, drums and vocals through the mains to the PA, so obviously, recording a show like that blows.  Thank you and thank you for making this forum available since Mackie bagged their own forum.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2013, 08:26:15 PM »
Hi, I'm new here.  My "want" is simple, but probably impossible.  I'd like to be able to record on my iPad off one or more of the monitor sends rather than off the mains, so I can control the recording mix better.  My band mates prefer to use their own amps on guitar, bass and keys, running only the acoustic, drums and vocals through the mains to the PA, so obviously, recording a show like that blows.  Thank you and thank you for making this forum available since Mackie bagged their own forum.
Once they implement stereo auxes it will be simple to just use a stereo aux for the PA and use the main L&R just for recording :) . I suspect it wouldn't be too hard for Mackie to switch the iPad recording to a pair of auxes too, quite a few folks have expressed a desire for that :).

JMc

• Padawan
« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2013, 08:30:10 PM »
]Once they implement stereo auxes it will be simple to just use a stereo aux for the PA and use the main L&R just for recording :) . I suspect it wouldn't be too hard for Mackie to switch the iPad recording to a pair of auxes too, quite a few folks have expressed a desire for that :).
Great, thank you for the reply.  I usually record our gigs with a Zoom Q3HD (and usually with really good results), but over the weekend, I discovered that I had left the memory card in my PC and couldn't record with the Zoom and recording an incomplete, lousy mix off the iPad was my only other option (which I did not exercise). 

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2013, 08:37:59 PM »
The alternative (well documented in the forums) is to run FOH in mono from an aux and use the mains for the recording. You'll need to mic the guitar amps and keys just for the recording (but then you can sneak a bit into the FOH without them noticing, even if you don't make them louder having a bit of guitar/bass/keys in the mix really helps to glue the sound together :-). BTW for recording the drums send only kick and overhead to tape, it works great and really simplifies the mixing task.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 08:43:53 PM by sam.spoons »

JMc

• Padawan
« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2013, 08:52:29 PM »
The alternative (well documented in the forums) is to run FOH in mono from an aux and use the mains for the recording. You'll need to mic the guitar amps and keys just for the recording (but then you can sneak a bit into the FOH without them noticing, even if you don't make them louder having a bit of guitar/bass/keys in the mix really helps to glue the sound together :-). BTW for recording the drums send only kick and overhead to tape, it works great and really simplifies the mixing task.
Thanks for the tips.  Much appreciated.  It's funny, but how you mention it is exactly how we do it now.  Vocals, kick and overhead (when needed), and a little guitar and keys are usually sent to FOH.  We had a gig without our regular bass player this past weekend, who usually brings all the PA gear, so I had to substitute my little rinky dink PA and speakers for a smaller outdoor venue and was afraid to tax them too heavily.  The sound actually came out fantastic.  I can't wait to futz around with this stuff at our next gig and come out with a really nice live recording mix.  I'm stoked and having one of those "shoulda had a V8" moments, because I really should have figured this one out on my own.  LOL.  Cheers.

Jkowtko

• Padawan
« Reply #66 on: May 29, 2013, 03:19:10 AM »
 Another show with the DL ... man, I sure hope they add stereo input and aux linking in the next release ... for every show I do this is a real pain in the butt  >:( ... at least with a hard control surface you can tape adjoining faders together ... can't do anything on an iScreen ... :|

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #67 on: May 29, 2013, 03:39:26 AM »
The iPad does let you move up to four faders at once, no big deal to move a pair. But I also really need linking. Damned keyboard players want stereo monitor mixes of there stereo keyboards - imagine that :facepalm:.

So, any beta testers wanna give us at least a winky face if they're testing linking now? LOL
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 03:42:40 AM by RoadRanger »

Jkowtko

• Padawan
« Reply #68 on: May 29, 2013, 05:49:52 AM »
The iPad does let you move up to four faders at once, no big deal to move a pair.

Not easy when you are holding the iPad with your hands to the side and using either thumb for quick changes.

And try moving two aux masters in unison ...

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #69 on: May 29, 2013, 07:50:28 AM »
The iPad does let you move up to four faders at once, no big deal to move a pair.

Not easy when you are holding the iPad with your hands to the side and using either thumb for quick changes.

Master Fader lets you move as many faders as you have on the screen (as long as you have enough fingers)  ::)

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #70 on: May 29, 2013, 12:41:11 PM »
Master Fader lets you move as many faders as you have on the screen (as long as you have enough fingers)  ::)
Actually the limit is three unless you disable "Multitasking Gestures" in General Settings. Mackie recommends that you do that, I've chosen not to (I forget why).

Jkowtko

• Padawan
« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2013, 01:21:49 PM »

Yes, I know that.  The point of stereo linking (among other things) is to eliminate the need to move two independent faders in unison when they always operate in unison.   I don't know about you, but none of my fingers are the same length.  So in order to grab a pair of faders and move them together with any accuracy I have to position my hand at a weird angle on the iPad.  Which messes up my general handling of the iPad.

I didn't say it couldn't be done ... I said it's a pain in the butt ...

And, for stereo auxes, it can't be done -- you have to switch screens.  Therefore the restriction to mono FOH when you are doing stereo recording on a separate mix.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 02:13:30 PM by Jkowtko »

thedrums

• Youngling
« Reply #72 on: May 29, 2013, 09:02:34 PM »
Break button....Just sayin'.

Nottoodeaf

• Padawan
« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2013, 02:11:25 PM »
Monitor feedback...which one?  I'll just page through all six auxes while the guilty monitor screams.   A Master Page...I'm just sayin'.
Does that have to be there?  Not anymore!

Nottoodeaf

• Padawan
« Reply #74 on: June 03, 2013, 06:09:05 PM »
And by the way, if Mackie can give us an 8 channel DL for a couple of hundred dollars less than the 1608, can they give me a 24 channel DL for a couple of hundred bucks more?
Does that have to be there?  Not anymore!