Author Topic: Behringer iX16 vaporware evaporates leaving no trace  (Read 9119 times)

Greg C.

• Forty-Two
  • Knight
    • Cameron Pro Audio
Re: Behringer iX16 vaporware evaporates leaving no trace
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2013, 04:54:07 AM »
Agreed. About as likely as Santa Claus coming to your house and stuffing his fat ass down your chimney.
Procrastinators of the World, Contemplate Uniting!

walterw

• Padawan
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2013, 05:47:49 AM »
Mackie had a shot at a rack configuration of the DL1608 instead they came out with the DL806 abomination. The current hardware in the DL1608 could easily fit into a 2 or 3U rack
i love this idea, but how would we be docking the ipads?

i'm having good luck with a 2' cablejive extender cable so i can plug my ipad 3 in while leaving it in its case (naked ipads and bars don't mix) but it's still just that, luck; i have to be sure to charge to 100% before the show so the charge circuit doesn't create line noise problems, while so far the wifi alternative is still a little dodgy depending on the room.

i suspect there would need to be a more robust version of wifi technology and a more robust (and apple-approved) cable solution before a rackmount "stagebox" version of the DL became viable.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2013, 07:08:01 AM »
Mackie had a shot at a rack configuration of the DL1608 instead they came out with the DL806 abomination. The current hardware in the DL1608 could easily fit into a 2 or 3U rack
i love this idea, but how would we be docking the ipads?

i'm having good luck with a 2' cablejive extender cable so i can plug my ipad 3 in while leaving it in its case (naked ipads and bars don't mix) but it's still just that, luck; i have to be sure to charge to 100% before the show so the charge circuit doesn't create line noise problems, while so far the wifi alternative is still a little dodgy depending on the room.

i suspect there would need to be a more robust version of wifi technology and a more robust (and apple-approved) cable solution before a rackmount "stagebox" version of the DL became viable.
Well you, I and everyone that has a fruit product has a 40" Apple approved USB cable (charger cable). I have already reliably extended that thru a USB hub communicating with a PC USB port. The serial full duplex communication line should not be a challenge for any reasonable talented engineer (well maybe not Mackie's). As to the "robustness" of WiFi it's not the problem airwaves congestion is. Ultra reliability can only be achieved by Audio wireless having their own frequency band. Yes the FCC may have to eventually come to grips with that reality.
When in doubt KISS

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2013, 12:10:05 PM »
Quote from WK154:
"The serial full duplex communication line should not be a challenge for any reasonable talented engineer (well maybe not Mackie's)."
Aw c'mon, that's just mean! It's the season of goodwill, won't you say something nice about the designers pretty please? At least they were able to bring a functioning product to market. I know you have caveats about it but it's tangible and improving with each update.
Go on, it's almost Christmas, take a few glasses of good stuff and give them even half a nod ;)!?
The older I get, the better I was!

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2013, 05:02:35 PM »
Bah Humbug!  ;D  Why couldn't they get it right in the first place. I don't want them to go away but I also don't want them to lower the standards of expectation for products in this price range. The last major project I was on relating to this type of problem was for the USAF MATS field communication kit were I was responsible for inter-processor communications and the X.25 (modified) serial link. Yah I know it's a little extreme but a show stopper wouldn't fly there and shouldn't here. I know how gear can sit there and look at each other stupidly but there are well known solutions for this. My guess on what's happening here. The recovery logic is faulty and appears to be on the DL side of things. The cause may well be hardware but you can deal with it in software. That's done every day in the computer field (retry and error recovery, voting logic if need be). If I had to take a guess at the software manpower Mackie has on this product I would say no more than two part time.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 05:07:12 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS