Author Topic: FAQ: Use Rubber Grommets for Loose Trim Pots  (Read 16180 times)

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
FAQ: Use Rubber Grommets for Loose Trim Pots
« on: March 29, 2013, 03:17:20 PM »
Quote from: dpdan
I bought 8 rubber grommets from my local mom and pop hardware store, and cut them in half, then smoothed off the area where I made the cut and put one under each gain knob. This keeps the pots from being accidentally moved.

Now I have to use considerably more effort to change the settings.
This would be great for those who use their 1608 for the same inputs on consecutive gigs, as long as the same mics are used on the same instruments, and are placed close to the same spot, setting levels should be a lot quicker on your next gig.

The grommets I bought have a 1/4 inch inside diameter and a 1/2 inch outside diameter.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 04:59:55 PM by RoadRanger »

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
Re: TIP: use rubber grommets for loose trim pots
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 03:31:04 PM »
Quote from: Oddeotek
Thanks for the great idea. I bought 1/4" rubber washers at Home Depot for $.86 in a pack of four. I lucked out when one of the packs actually contained 5 so I had one for the headphone pot . Depending on how hard you push back down on the knob when replacing it, you can go from light resistance to a near- permanent setting.

Felt washers might work too.

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 04:50:33 PM »
thanks for the email Ron,

the "other" forum used my actual name as the username instead of dpdan, I sent numerous requests to change it and never received even an acknowledgement.

thanks for bringing this back from the dead  :) 
Dan Kury

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 04:56:47 PM »
 :) 8) :thu:

musicman7722

• Knight
    • Triple Play
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 06:53:36 PM »
Thumbs up :thu:

mauijet

• Youngling
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 08:15:56 PM »
Awesome, I'll do this today!

stockislander

• Initiate
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 04:26:06 AM »
This is much better than the cover I was going to make to keep the knobs from being bumped... good show!

LennyG

• Youngling
Re: FAQ: Use Rubber Grommets for Loose Trim Pots
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 01:47:20 AM »
Very nice tip.  I think I'll try this tomorrow.  On another note, I like how you follow (mostly) the resistor color code for your cable connection.  I do the same thing when my cables are colored (not numbered.)

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 03:06:26 AM »
I like how you follow (mostly) the resistor color code for your cable connection. 

I do follow the color code correctly... it is wonderful to not have to read tiny little numbers on cables :)
black is zero, then
1-brown, 2-red, 3-orange, 4-yellow, 5-green, 6-blue, 7-violet, 8-grey, 9-white.

I use that color scheme on all my other equipment

« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 04:53:22 PM by dpdan »

abzurd

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 08:20:31 PM »
Just a quick tip for a fast, and cheap way to add some resistance. I had some gray foam left from a case that had "pluck foam". I wrapped a strip of the foam around the post, put the knob back on and then tucked any excess foam into the pot with a butter knife. It's not quite as pretty as the rubber grommets as you can see some foam if you look closely, but it works, was free and done in under 10 minutes.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 11:08:47 AM »
Only problem that I see here is that your bandmates will think that nothing changing means that nothing changes.  That doesn't work for me in the same club two nights in a row.  Nice idea.  Like the camera idea better for my life.  Love the color coded snake.  Hate the memorization phrase.  Got to do something more positive.

abzurd

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 12:03:46 PM »
Wynnd,

You understand you can still move the trim pots, it just adds resistance. I think it's a good thing regardless of whether it's the same band or not. The pots are just too easy to turn. Accidentally brushing them moves the knobs. This happened on Friday where I inadvertently bumped up the gain on the drummer's headset mic at some point. I unmute the channels to start the first dance at a wedding and ..... screetch... 

PeterKorg

• Padawan
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2013, 08:20:48 PM »
I like that idea, I will give that a go when i can find some similar rubber washers.

I was wondering how to memorise the gain setting per gig, as we visit the same venues 3 or 4 times a year, I think the solution would be to take a photo and name it as the venue, then I can recall the show and set the gain to the photo

abzurd

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2013, 08:26:10 PM »
I like that idea, I will give that a go when i can find some similar rubber washers.

I was wondering how to memorise the gain setting per gig, as we visit the same venues 3 or 4 times a year, I think the solution would be to take a photo and name it as the venue, then I can recall the show and set the gain to the photo

The venue is irrelevant when doing channel trims. It's the "same bands" you'd want to remember and even then it would just be a starting point. Honestly, IMO, not worth the effort unless you are mixing the same band often, but not always. It's only a 5-10 second per channel thing to adjust the trims.

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2013, 12:48:14 PM »
Just buy any of the behringers. They all have programable mic pres. This will also include the iX when it comes out.