Author Topic: Equipment storage  (Read 7962 times)

Trshot

• Punster
  • Padawan
Equipment storage
« on: March 30, 2013, 04:45:02 PM »
I live in the northeast where it goes from hot to cold during the year. To make life easier and not move gear 4x's a night, in and out of vehicles and at the venue as well. I've acquired a cargo van to store speakers, pa amps and outboard gear, lights, drums and hardware in to make life MUCH easier. Are there any concerns I should have other than allowing everything to acclimate to room temp during winter before powering on?

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
Re: Equipment storage
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 05:38:14 PM »
In the summer you have to be careful of the heat too. About a month ago I only had an hour to set up and powered my RCF 310A's up as soon as I brought them inside. The first was a bit sluggish to come out of protect and the second one wouldn't after several minutes :o . I didn't have any backup with me (as the venue was only 1/2 mile from my house) and had to rush home for a spare. I had left it on and by the time I got back it had come back to life :facepalm:.

Trshot

• Punster
  • Padawan
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 05:49:57 PM »
RR, I should add that I'll start  the van 1/2hr before I leave for a venue to get the heat or a/c working to start the acclamation process while I'm driving there!  8)

During the winter, as soon I get my amp and mixer racks inside I take off the covers to get room temp air circulating through the cases!  ;D
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 05:58:57 PM by Trshot »

Trshot

• Punster
  • Padawan
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 05:57:31 PM »
In the summer you have to be careful of the heat too. About a month ago I only had an hour to set up and powered my RCF 310A's up as soon as I brought them inside. The first was a bit sluggish to come out of protect and the second one wouldn't after several minutes :o . I didn't have any backup with me (as the venue was only 1/2 mile from my house) and had to rush home for a spare. I had left it on and by the time I got back it had come back to life :facepalm:.

What was the state of the RCF's? Do you also store them in the cold?

I never power up anything until  I set up the pa, lights and my drums. Meanwhile I let the electronics get up to room temp, then I'll throw the power switches!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 06:03:02 PM by Trshot »

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 06:11:34 PM »
I never power up anything until  I set up the pa, lights and my drums. Meanwhile I let the electronics get up to room temp, then I'll throw the power switches!
I do store them in a trailer outdoors or in my car. In this case there was so little room in the venue (a restaurant where tables had to be moved to make room for the band) I couldn't bring everything in so was setting it up as I brought it in. I usually put up the mains and mixer and start it playing music so I know things are working as I hook them up - the mains went on within a couple minutes of being brought inside. In this case time was so short I only had time to throw up one monitor mix, three vocal mics and a kick mic before the first set started. I finished miking up while they played :facepalm: .
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 06:13:33 PM by RoadRanger »

Trshot

• Punster
  • Padawan
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 06:25:08 PM »
I do store them in a trailer outdoors or in my car. In this case there was so little room in the venue (a restaurant where tables had to be moved to make room for the band) I couldn't bring everything in so was setting it up as I brought it in. I usually put up the mains and mixer and start it playing music so I know things are working as I hook them up - the mains went on within a couple minutes of being brought inside. In this case time was so short I only had time to throw up one monitor mix, three vocal mics and a kick mic before the first set started. I finished miking up while they played :facepalm: .

Been there before! I play in Boston and the bars never move tables until the absolute last minute...or later if people are still sitting at them! Then bitch that we aren't ready to play on time! I always have to remind them that we were not only on time but had gear sitting on the sidewalk for 1/2hr waiting for them to allow us in and you can't expect a six piece band to set up and sound check in 20/25 mins!!!! Gotta love the business!!!! :facepalm: