Author Topic: Aux 6 to Subs...How to route break music?  (Read 14906 times)

VHDon

• Initiate
Aux 6 to Subs...How to route break music?
« on: April 05, 2013, 02:14:21 AM »
I've been playing with using Aux 6 for a seperate Sub output, and it sounds great.  I'm routing bass, kick, & floor tom through this, everything else through Main L-R.  However, what is the best way to run break music using this method?  Run to both Aux 6 and mains?  I tried this, and it ends up sound a little muddy.  Any ideas?

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
Re: Aux 6 to Subs...How to route break music?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 03:39:12 AM »
Which particular mains and subs are you using? Do they have crossovers built-in or are you using external crossovers? If the latter, what crossovers are you using? Settings?

VHDon

• Initiate
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 06:39:17 AM »
QSC KSub for Subs, K12's for mains.  Right now I'm not using the KSub crossover, just routing direct to each (Aux 6 to subs, Main L-R to K12's).

LeeSteel

• Super Lee
  • Padawan
    • Lee Steel
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 11:56:59 AM »
That is how I am doing it also. I bring up the Main LR fader for iPad channel volume and set it at it's loudest. Then go to Aux6 and bring up the iPad channel until I have the desired punch. I also have my Airport Express, audio out, routed into channels 15/16 and do the initial setup the same way. Sounds very clean over here.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 11:59:10 AM by LeeSteel »
Plug up one ear and make it mono!

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 12:19:48 PM »
Do you have the "LF" switches on the K12's set to "EXT SUB"?

I'm routing bass, kick, & floor tom through this, everything else through Main L-R.
Maybe I'm misinterpreting this but it sounds like you are not routing the bass, kick, & tom to the mains? Your aux 6 should be set to "post fader" and the bass, kick, floor tom & break music faders set to zero on the aux 6 page (all others all the way down) and the aux 6 master fader set to the same as the LR master fader to start with.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 12:27:36 PM by RoadRanger »

jlb

• Padawan
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 01:01:40 PM »
In order to do this properly you need and external crossover with appropriate LPF for the subs and HPF for the tops. The ext sub switch on the K12 is what engages a 100Hz crossover when the K sub is connected to the K12. Right now you are more than likely creating  a mess in the 80-120Hz region.

VHDon

• Initiate
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 01:14:16 AM »
I'm using Aux 6 for direct input to the subs per the thread on the forum, not using any crossover (KSub crossover or external)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvZremoHtCE

this works great...but I was trying to see if there was a way to get break music in the subs.  Looks like the limitation is running break music in the tops only.  Thanks for the feedback.

Greg C.

• Forty-Two
  • Knight
    • Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 01:19:14 AM »
In order to do this properly you need and external crossover with appropriate LPF for the subs and HPF for the tops. The ext sub switch on the K12 is what engages a 100Hz crossover when the K sub is connected to the K12. Right now you are more than likely creating  a mess in the 80-120Hz region.

This is the correct answer. Crossover filters were designed for a purpose. If they weren't needed, they wouldn't have been invented. Aside from the comb filtering issues, you are needlessly reducing headroom of your top boxes and increasing distortion by working them harder than they should be not properly high passing them when using them with subs.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 01:29:02 AM by Greg C. »
Procrastinators of the World, Contemplate Uniting!

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 01:23:17 AM »
The KSub has an internal, non-defeatable crossover. The K12's also have a built-in crosssover that makes them "play nice" with the KSub if you switch it on by setting the "LF" switches on the K12's to "EXT SUB". If you don't do that it'll all sound like arse :o .

Harpman

• Knight
  • “If music be the food of love, play on"
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 03:35:02 AM »
The KSub has an internal, non-defeatable crossover. The K12's also have a built-in crosssover that makes them "play nice" with the KSub if you switch it on by setting the "LF" switches on the K12's to "EXT SUB". If you don't do that it'll all sound like arse :o .

So RR, is this the way you run your system.  I just purchased the K12's tonight and looking at changing my configuration.  So you run the mains to the KSub and K12's are the tops.  I will try this configuration and see how it goes.
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment
"We Bring Good Music to Life"

Harpman

• Knight
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2013, 04:04:30 AM »
So I'm dealing with 2-K12's and 1-KSub.  So from the DL1608 Main L to KSub Line In A. KSub Line Out (thru) A to K12 Line In A.  DL1608 Main R to KSub Line In B. KSub Line Out (thru) B to 2nd K12 Line In A.  Sound right to you?
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2013, 04:18:10 AM »
So I'm dealing with 2-K12's and 1-KSub.  So from the DL1608 Main L to KSub Line In A. KSub Line Out (thru) A to K12 Line In A.  DL1608 Main R to KSub Line In B. KSub Line Out (thru) B to 2nd K12 Line In A.  Sound right to you?

You can do it this way. It's still better to use the aux 6.

Harpman

• Knight
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2013, 04:24:50 AM »
Thanks JL.  BTW, do you run Aux 6 post fader?  I usually don't put Bass, Kick or Toms in the mains.
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2013, 04:26:30 AM »
Yup, that's the "normal" way to run them.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2013, 04:28:38 AM »
Thanks JL.  BTW, do you run Aux 6 post fader?  I usually don't put Bass, Kick or Toms in the mains.
If you don't put those in the mains they will just be mud. All have LOTS above 100Hz - the kick's "click" is 2KHz+.