Author Topic: FAQ: Pressing "Mute" Selects EQ Instead  (Read 8594 times)

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
FAQ: Pressing "Mute" Selects EQ Instead
« on: April 05, 2013, 03:52:15 PM »
I have seen many complaints about folks trying to mute a channel and instead ending up in the EQ section and I've started to have problems with that myself. I have experimented a bit and if you touch the space in-between or even the top of the mute box you indeed activate the EQ function instead :( ! Can any of yous guys confirm this? Does anyone have a stylus and can map this out more precisely? I would suggest you aim towards the bottom of the mute box until Mackie has a chance to fix this :) .

EDIT> I looked at other apps and this might be an Apple "thing". The touch regions are all a bit lower than the buttons would indicate :( . So aim low! In any case I've recommended to Mackie that the mute button touch region be extended up into the space between the mute button and EQ to make this less problematic for us all :) .
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 06:11:51 PM by RoadRanger »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Re: FAQ: Pressing "Mute" Selects EQ Instead
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 07:24:38 PM »
First it's been a issue since V1.0 and even if it was an "Apple thing" we should not be pointing it out to Mackie's "programmers". I would have fired all of them by now! I have at least a Million lines of code under my belt and responsibility of at least ten times that. If SAC where to dial in North Korea and hit the South instead someone would really be pissed. These are the apps I have dealt with in the past. Stop trying to find excuses for poor work! Not your job but it certainly affects it.Yes I have used pens and other means as "workarounds" to poor UI design. Solutions for this have been posted for a long time and Mackie is certainly aware of them for a long time! Now ask yourselves if they care?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 07:28:37 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 07:56:24 PM »
Until I diagnosed the issue I don't think anyone knew exactly what the problem was. I'm sure Mackie is using the stock Apple button code. Now that we know I'm confident that it can be "fixed" :) . Is the sky always falling behind Door #3 ? ;)

BTW next time an F-35 doesn't fall out of the sky on your head due to a software fault - you're welcome :D .

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 10:05:42 PM »
Mackie was nice enough to acknowledge that they can see that now and intend to tweak it :) . As I speculated on another thread, I suspect they can't make any significant changes to the "look" of the main screen as there is too much invested in documents, literature, ads, catalog pictures, videos etc. :(

I'm confident that a bit of tweaking will make this a non-issue for most of us :) .

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 11:33:57 PM »
Fist off it was F16's and other nastie's guidance systems and they don't fall out of the sky like Mackie (Mackie dosen't even soar). BTW you had it right  "F-35 doesn't fall out of the sky" Most of what I worked on was commercial high tech and I've been responsible for dozens of successful products. I know what it takes to put a product into the real world. I've owned several companies. I grant you none of the products were in this price range (except for ARS (Sweda) cash registers ~$2000). My own company's lowest in old dollars was $4000 (1967). What am I doing here? Remember, I'm retired and my wife teaches music and I do the tech.
RR did you get anything of value out of this release? Do tell! You don't do shows AFAIK so what does this leave? Mackie do you see the the fiddle between my thumb and forefinger playing MY HEART BLEEDS FOR YOU ????. Manuals and ads now control features! If that's the case I'm puzzled why you haven't added the BELCH FX. I'm sure it would make the top of the charts.
Mackie was nice enough to acknowledge that they can see that now and intend to tweak it Maybe we can all chip in and send them a seeing eye dog. Tweak it right out of existence with a iX16 or better yet a XDM1212. What happened to the TELL IT LIKE IT IS APPROACH ? Sounds to me more like a sugar coated review, happy that they released something!  Where's Jerry when you really need him?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 11:37:06 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 11:50:28 PM »
I do like that you can now store icons with the snapshots. I only use one show as I only use one snapshot per band. I do run two iPads so the semiautomated show syncing makes that a whole lot less stressful. The theory is that now that they have the marketing droids off their arse about missing features they can get some real work done ;) .

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 02:32:37 AM »
There I thought all along that BenO was THE PRODUCT MANAGER, which in my days meant that marketing answered to you. Does the tail wag the dog nowadays? What missing features? The ones no-one wanted to begin with with based on the user input they requested? I certainly would like to see the new (1.5) list. An old proverb says "Be careful what you ask for". Oh yes is the software farmed out to Vancouver Canada?  One of the software types on Facebook might have slipped up on that.
When in doubt KISS

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 02:44:34 AM »
There I thought all along that BenO was THE PRODUCT MANAGER, which in my days meant that marketing answered to you. Does the tail wag the dog nowadays?
Product Managers used to work for Engineering, nowadays they work for Marketing - welcome to the New World Order :( .
What missing features? The ones no-one wanted to begin with with based on the user input they requested?
Yup, the ones the marketing droids pulled out or their arses :o .
I certainly would like to see the new (1.5) list. An old proverb says "Be careful what you ask for". Oh yes is the software farmed out to Vancouver Canada?  One of the software types on Facebook might have slipped up on that.
Don't much matter where it's being done as long as there isn't a language and/or cultural barrier that gets in the way. I've seen both - it ain't pretty x( .
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 02:46:51 AM by RoadRanger »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 03:29:12 AM »
"Product Managers used to work for Engineering, nowadays they work for Marketing - welcome to the New World Order :( ."
Not in my world (Fortune 500 Division). Since product managers had to deal with all different departments and their resources and they were ultimately held accountable for the product, hence the name product manager they got to call the shots about the product. In the case of Mackie which used to be run by engineering (Greg Mackie) and now by sharks and bean counters all bets are of. Just curious if they even have in house software talent. A few years ago I collaborated with Shure (Midwest) on their WWB5, Winradio (Melbourne AU), software from Czechoslovakia and I was the test lab since they couldn't reproduce the problems. Logmein worked fine but the hours sucked. Shure outsourced WWB as did Winradio so it wouldn't surprise me if Mackie did the same. Coordination is the biggest problem if you don't have a reasonable video conferencing system.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 03:47:26 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

gtrdudes

• Padawan
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 01:36:56 PM »
They got to fix this.  I was ok with it to a point. It's really just annoying. Until earlier this week.

I plugged the left channel into a new bars house system. Un-muted a vocal channel and it starts squealing. I panic, reach for mute and it goes to eq screen.  Tap tap tap tap... finally shuts off. I made a lot of friends at the bar on that mistake.

Ok I know I should've had the volume down first. Please don't blast me on that. I got it already.

I sincerely hope they fix this issue (and countless others) soon.