Author Topic: Master Fader V1.4 Is Here !  (Read 68887 times)

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
Re: Master Fader V1.4 Is Here !
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2013, 06:43:28 PM »
I Did. MANY folks wanted it in a different spot though .......
You do have to realize that they would have to change all of their documentation and ads - including all the videos they did that show that screen :( . After playing around a bit I'm convinced that just tweaking the touch regions will "fix" the problem - I'd rather they spent their time and money on adding more features :) .

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2013, 07:00:43 PM »
The whole release smells of amateurism and desperation. You will now be able to pick apart the "Lipstick" release which has already been known for months! I am busy this weekend with competition in San Fransisco and will not deal with this until the end of next week. If the BASICS have not been fixed it will certainly separate the MEN for the boys. No docs as of this post and their knee deep into V1.5? Maybe they should finish one job before dealing with another?
When in doubt KISS

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2013, 07:38:33 PM »
There are updated docs accessible through the "help" in the app. If they're not yet available on their website I'm sure they will be shortly. Perhaps we should conserve out flamethrower fuel for more important issues? ;)

They did already say that V1.5 will have some of the user requests incorporated. Stereo linking and pre-comp auxes were mentioned by them as being considered I think? I'd sure like to see FX mute(s) and tap delay on the top bar of most all pages added ;) . But let's try to keep V1.5 wants and speculation to here, eh? :
http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?topic=234.0

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2013, 08:50:08 PM »
first, I want to start with something positive...

I am very grateful that Mackie is fixing some things. 
Here are just some immediate observations that I have made after testing 1.4 on my 3rd generation iPad and 4th generation iPad, not docked, connected with an Apple Airport Express.

They fixed the snapshots, well,... uh,... I mean, pictures and icons being saved like they always should have been.

Any settings you make in the "modern" window of the compressor are identical when you switch to the "Vintage" version,
which proves my point that it is the same processing, not added EQ's and comps like they said when they (Mackie) "introduced" new Vinatge EQ and compression.  RRRRight!  ::)

Let me correct myself, it does not prove that it is the same processing, and not new EQ and compression as they advertised, but they sound identical with a variety of instruments like kick, snare, vocal etc.  If they were newly "Added" EQs and comps they would sound different when switching back and forth between Modern and Vintage... not surprised at all just lipstick marketing.

Unbelieva... wait,, believable, that the position of the Mute button is in the same (fill in your own curse word here) place.   ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Even if they never move the Mute button, the area that is programmed to respond to the EQ window and Mute button is way too low, same with the Solo button. 
Funny, (not really) they got the "area" correct with the glow and grow faders. 

Shows are much better, and they make the loaded show green,...... well how about that!!! :angel: But we still have no clue what snapshot is loaded..  :facepalm: complete and utter disbelief. The lack of a green loaded scene,,, uh,... I mean snapshot.  :facepalm:  who on Earth would call these scenes?

Channel "Safes" are no longer global but stored with the show.

Numerous duplicated shows on other iPads is still an issue.
A show can not be deleted unless a different show is loaded. Good thinkin' Mackie!  :thu:

CAN WE MOVE THE FRICKEN MUTE BUTTON?????

I am also grateful for the "face palm" icon  ... love it!

I'll shut up now, I am grateful that Mackie is fixing some things.... honest.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 09:39:46 PM by dpdan »

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2013, 09:41:18 PM »
Any settings you make in the "modern" window of the compressor are identical when you switch to the "Vintage" version, which proves my point that it is the same processing not added EQ's and comps like they said when they (Mackie) "introduced" new Vintage EQ and compression.  RRRRight!  ::)
I think it is quite clever that Mackie loosely maps setting between the Vintage and Modern versions so that when you switch from one to the other you get as close to the same sound as possible. But I do have it on good authority that they are in fact different DSP code blocks and you will hear some difference when you switch between them. Extra kudos to the first one that can independently verify this :D !

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2013, 09:49:06 PM »
Even if they never move the Mute button, the area that is programmed to respond to the EQ window and Mute button is way too low, same with the Solo button.
I did report this to Mackie today and they were nice enough to acknowledge that they can see that now and intend to tweak it :) . All other apps I looked at closely do the same thing so I conclude it is the default of Apple's app development code to place the touch regions low x( :
http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?topic=256.0

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2013, 09:51:39 PM »
there are no new EQ or compressors added in 1.4, I will bet my ears on it.
it is the same exact processing, just different "cutesy" simplified GUI controls which are helpful for those who are in the dark about the settings.
But in reality, if one is in the dark about setting an equalizer they should not even be using one.

A carpenter doesn't grab his belt sander and use it on the cabinet he is constructing just because he has a belt sander.

I will do a phase recording test which will prove there are no new EQs or compressors.

Dan 

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2013, 10:22:18 PM »
But in reality, if one is in the dark about setting an equalizer they should not even be using one.
Sad truth is maybe one in ten buyers of any mixer should be using one :facepalm: . I wish they would add a "beginner" mode where the frequencies of all the EQ is fixed, maybe with a mid similar to Peavey's on their "church" mixers where it has a different frequency depending on whether you are cutting or boosting 8) . No gates and just "no clip" limiting on the outputs. Maybe limiting on all the channels set at -6 dB just because ;) or "one knob" compression similar to many entry level analog mixers.

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2013, 10:59:50 PM »
The last update was lipstick. This one is just mascara. I cannot wait to dump this board. Come on behringer! Get that x32 rack out. So glad I bought a great warranty. I am so looking forward to pouring a beer on this pos.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2013, 11:28:24 PM »
Yup, that's our Jerry for sure ;D . I suspect he plans on passing that beer through his kidneys first :lol: .

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2013, 11:41:42 PM »
I just did a common "phase" test to make two recordings that are supposedly different (modern and vintage) and used a phase reverse on one of the recordings,
if they are in perfect sync with each other and are identical recordings, then the sound will disappear when one recordings' phase is reversed 180 degrees. I recorded a song by Sting into channels 13 and 14 with a Y cord feeding both inputs. To eliminate any issues that could disprove my test, the gains on both channels 13 and 14 were all the way down. Channel 13 was panned hard left, and 14 hard right. The built in recording feature of the 1608 docked was used to make the wave file recording. This stereo recording would have the modern compressor on the left channel with a 40db threshold setting and 4:1 ratio, while channel 14 would have the vintage option with the same identical settings on the right channel. 
I imported the stereo wave file into Digital Performer on the Mac, and reversing the phase of either channel completely cancelled the other proving that there is no difference in the processing of the "NEWLY ADDED" vintage compressor. I didn't even waste time with the EQ or gate because the GUI does not allow identical settings.  If the modern and vintage compressors were NOT identical processors, the phase reverse test would not cancel the other channel completely but it does, and therefore proves that there has not been a "vintage" compressor added to the 1.4 Master Fader update.... just a different color lipstick that was not available before.... commercial euphemism.... just as I thought.

modeled after the Neve blah blah blah       sure, Neve modeling???? :facepalm:  really?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 06:15:16 PM by dpdan »

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2013, 11:54:27 PM »
The last update was lipstick. This one is just mascara. I cannot wait to dump this board. Come on behringer! Get that x32 rack out. So glad I bought a great warranty. I am so looking forward to pouring a beer on this pos.

Some people are never satisfied.
I'm surprised that a self confessed  "very good engineer" like you spent your money on something like a DL without testing it first. If it's such a "POS" why did you buy it?
The older I get, the better I was!

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2013, 11:57:51 PM »
I didn't even waste time with the EQ or gate because the GUI does not allow identical settings.
You should be able to duplicate the Vintage settings in the Modern version. In fact the DL1608 does most of that for you if you make sure you change every control in Vintage mode I think? Those controls in Modern that don't exist in Vintage can be set neutral I think?

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2013, 12:04:11 AM »
If the modern and vintage compressors were NOT identical processors, the phase reverse test would not cancel the other channel completely but it does, and therefore proves that there has not been a "vintage" compressor added to the 1.4 Master Fader update...
I'd try a couple different settings before I was 100% sure but it sure is looking that way. BenO posted on the old forum that they were different when I speculated that "Vintage" was just skins - I wonder if their programming team is pulling a fast one on management? :facepalm:

Personally I wouldn't mind if it is true that they are "just skins".
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 12:09:39 AM by RoadRanger »

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2013, 12:32:32 AM »
just skins  :)

I still absolutely love the DL1608 even though I can not understand the "team" at Mackie that make decisions about this stuff.
-