Author Topic: Master Fader V1.4 Is Here !  (Read 69103 times)

stockislander

• Initiate
Re: Master Fader V1.4 Is Here !
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2013, 07:57:17 PM »
Painless upgrade here... I really like the sound of the vintage eq and compressor... a lot more life to them.

ijpengelly

• Knight
  • Weekend Warrior
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2013, 12:43:38 PM »
So getting back on topic and talking about the 1.4 release I made a couple of observations on Saturday night whilst engineering a gig in Fleetwood. My regular band were playing and we were subject to a painfully sensititve noise limiter in the club, which seemed to be tuned to go mad on every guitar solo, no matter how quiet, thus we suffered a few power cuts during the gig. The good news is how the DL1608 now behaves, which was to start back up, start supplying the speakers with signal from the sources again and then very quickly the wireless link would be available (though you do have to manually select it).

So, my observation is that the issue of having to start the wireless router well in advance of the DL1608 seems to not be an issue for me and reconnecting to the desk was straightforward (no needing to rush to the front of the room and dock it). Also, the link seemed much more stable during the gig.

I wasn't really paying that much attention to the meters (which are supposed to have been improved in responce) as I was too busy watching the noise limiter traffic light system and slowly panicking. Also I didn't get a chance to try the vinatage EQ or dynamics, but they are there and I did quite like the analogue meter effect.

Also, the show management is just now as it should have been on day 1, i.e. logical and useable.

Just for note, I'm using a netgear wireless router (can't recall the model, but it was £5 from eBay  ;D ) and a new version iPad2.

I hope this is helpful to someone :-)

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2013, 12:49:05 PM »
To stay on topic, whew, I thought the 1.4 app was supposed to keep wireless connection without the sync screen that pops up ever time you go to a different program. Yet I get a sync screen still. ???

On a happier note I am off to play London. Have fun everyone.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 12:52:27 PM by Jerrylee »

jlb

• Padawan
« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2013, 12:56:44 PM »
JL I was not doubting the size if your testicles, sorry I mean festival, however I think you are now making yourself look silly. Seriously if you are playing festivals that size I assume you are in a small beer tent playing to a hundred or so people, and that is about the limit if the DL. I play in a cheesy wedding/party band as a hobby, if we get more than 250 people it is massive to us, and I would get a sound guy in with a proper rig, never dream of using a DL! But it is up to you dude, go play in the freeway with matchbox toy cars if that makes you feel big, then criticise how they cannot keep up with the traffic flow.

That's it, I need to get on With my proper job ... Which by the way is not being a top shot lawyer!

Play nice children.

What does the size of crowd have to do with the usefulness of the DL? I regularly use this mixer at a 500 capacity venue with a substantial PA. Monitor engineer side stage with I pad and FOH engineer roaming freely.  Works like a charm.

ijpengelly

• Knight
  • Weekend Warrior
« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2013, 12:57:50 PM »
That is something I didn't check for, but then I had no need to swap apps during the gig. Will test that one when I get a chance.

I agree about the size of the venue not mattering, at the end of the day its down to the number of channels and config you need. With a lot of rock bands you can get away with a 16 channel desk with no issues. Guess the fun bit is getting a reliable wireless connection over a bit distance, but then again it is probably easier outside than in. Hmm, I need an outdoor festival...  ::)

jlb

• Padawan
« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2013, 01:08:03 PM »
The room I work is 80x120. Never a problem with wireless connection. It even stays connected when using the rest room!

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2013, 01:29:54 PM »
The room I work is 80x120. Never a problem with wireless connection. It even stays connected when using the rest room!

Mine stays connected, I think, but every time I switch apps it resyncs. I need to switch to my music app and onsong, and others. I thought this was changed.

I got over 200 feet with my express router over the weekend. That was way more than I expected.

musicman7722

• Knight
    • Triple Play
« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2013, 01:38:31 PM »
Hey All

I read through the fisrt three pages.  Do i have to worry about losing any settings when I up install the new 1.4?

Chris

Kevin

• Door #1
  • Padawan
« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2013, 01:46:12 PM »
So, my observation is that the issue of having to start the wireless router well in advance of the DL1608 seems to not be an issue for me

Thanks, good to know that Mackie fixed this. I still havent taken the 1.4 plunge. Not having to remember to power up the DL after everything else is the first good reason I've seen for doing so (the improved show management stuff looks handy as well, but with just one iPad, it hasnt been a real issue for me).

Mine stays connected, I think, but every time I switch apps it resyncs.

Bummer. Does it still take about 3 seconds to resynch?

gtrdudes

• Padawan
« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2013, 02:06:31 PM »
Chris -  you don't lose any settings. The shows and snapshots are all still there.  Once the software and hardware are synced up the board will be exactly as it was at your last show.

Kevin -  The sync time is way better. Time switching between apps is palatable. I'd say closer to a second. 

musicman7722

• Knight
    • Triple Play
« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2013, 02:32:22 PM »
Thank you for that quick reply to loading 1.4 and possibly losing anything.

Chris

Ampli

• Knight
« Reply #71 on: April 08, 2013, 04:37:40 PM »
I lost some shows when i did the 1.2 to 1.3 ,strangly enough if got them back in 1.4

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #72 on: April 08, 2013, 04:49:07 PM »
I lost some shows when i did the 1.2 to 1.3 ,strangly enough if got them back in 1.4
That's the new "Bermuda Triangle Data Recovery(tm)" feature ;D . Jerry requested that for all them cruises he works :P .

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #73 on: April 09, 2013, 07:04:41 AM »
I really like the upgrade. I know a few people are sceptical about the actual workings of the gate and compressor but I was really happy with the way they worked & sounded.
The show management is definitely more useable and no glitches so far.
I'd been using a different desk for the last few weeks and it was nice to get to grips with the DL again.
It would be nice if they address general usability issues in upcoming releases but this is more than what I paid for already.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 11:47:44 AM by robbocurry »
The older I get, the better I was!

musicman7722

• Knight
    • Triple Play
« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2013, 11:19:40 AM »
Using the Vintage Settings

Funny thing that I have trouble moving and controlling the clock like controls of the Vintage devices in 1.4.  I have been told in the past that on MAc products if you have calouses on your fingers this can be a problem.  I have found I had to go back to the modern setting sometimes to adjust.  I haven't tried it with my touch pen yet.

Thoughst?

Chris