Author Topic: ELATION DP-415 2 pack + rackmount controller for $140 ?  (Read 9457 times)

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
ELATION DP-415 2 pack + rackmount controller for $140 ?
« on: April 13, 2010, 04:41:07 AM »
I've been seeing these on eBay lately:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220588316098
It is some sort of bundle that includes two 4 channel DMX dimmers, a couple of DMX cables, and some crappy 1U rackmount 16 channel on/off controller for them. This sells for about what one of the dimmer packs usually sells for. Anybody have any idea what's up with this or opinion as to whether the dimmer packs are OK?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 04:43:38 AM by RoadRanger »

BillESC

• Preferred Vendor
  • Padawan
  • President of Entertainment Systems Corporation
    • Entertainment Systems Corporation
Re: ELATION DP-415 2 pack + rackmount controller for $140 ?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 12:48:07 PM »
Seems too good to be true.
Thanks,

Bill ESC

Entertainment Systems Corporation
Innovative production services since 1973
800-582-2421
bill@entsyscorp.com

BigJD

• Charter Member
  • Youngling
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 06:52:27 PM »
I've been seeing these on eBay lately:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220588316098
It is some sort of bundle that includes two 4 channel DMX dimmers, a couple of DMX cables, and some crappy 1U rackmount 16 channel on/off controller for them. This sells for about what one of the dimmer packs usually sells for. Anybody have any idea what's up with this or opinion as to whether the dimmer packs are OK?

I'd get those.Don't know about the controller but those are handy dimmer packs in size and capabilities.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 06:57:34 PM »
That weird 1U controller might be good to have in a rack someplace as a backup ...

samkokajko

• Charter Member
  • Youngling
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 05:13:04 AM »
That 1U controller could actually be INCREDIBLY helpful in some situations. Sometimes that's all you need.

As an example...

I'm working on a theatre show right now that is actually performed in two adjacent locations (one is the site of a "wedding reception"), the second location is used for about 20 min and has some event style lighting around the room that have a few simple scenes they use. But to make that happen we have to use a large Strand console (their old one, replaced with an ION  ;D) that takes up half my sound table. It's quite a bit of overkill really but it's what was available. It would be handy to just use up 1U in my sound rack and just push the 16 scenes in order.

WAIT A MINUTE. Ok nevermind, I looked it up and all that 1U thing does is turn on and off each light. It's a series of 16 on/off buttons programmed to DMX channels. Still has a purpose, but a much less useful one.

However the ad is real. The seller has a ton of good feedback but also check this out.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Elation-DMX-16-DMX-Control-System-809559-i1428190.gc
Guitar Center pops up offering it at $150. I'd buy it just for the dimmers if I needed them. I paid $50 for a re-labeled dimmer pack similar to that new off eBay a couple years ago, but I had to search for a long time to find it.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 02:43:54 PM »
WAIT A MINUTE. Ok nevermind, I looked it up and all that 1U thing does is turn on and off each light. It's a series of 16 on/off buttons programmed to DMX channels. Still has a purpose, but a much less useful one.
I actually have two 8 channel on/off remotely controlled relay packs that use DB9 cables to go between the manual 1U controllers and the relay packs. I have two trees so put one up on each. the controllers just have on/off switches plus a "flash" button for each channel that toggles the state of the relay.

But they have no dimming capacity so I use 50 watt colored PAR30 NSP bulbs:
http://www.greenenergylight.com/parblackcl.html
Those fit nicely down deep in the cheap PAR38 cans I have and I don't have to mess with gels :).

Anyways even that is just too big a setup to carry around when also doing sound and only comes out to a rare dance party.

I need something that takes up minimal space in my car, costs >$1000, and takes 5 minutes to set up. I did pick up a Chauvet Stage Designer 50 controller for $150 and a single LED PAR64 DMX can to play with. The can is just HUGE :(. The controller is large too but I do like theatre style controllers over the typical DJ type.

Anyways one dimmer pack would probably do me for a couple backlights and front/side lights for a minimal setup. Adding a couple of Bill's Zippers mounted vertically on the speaker poles would give me a stoopid amount of DMX channels to play with 8).