Author Topic: I have had enough of the 1608  (Read 26229 times)

Dtg77

• Youngling
I have had enough of the 1608
« on: April 14, 2013, 11:58:09 AM »
I called it a cheap toy before, it may not be cheap but it is nothing more than a toy.
I am going back to my mix wizard desk. The 1608 crashed last night before the gig and had my heart in my mouth. I have given it every chance I can and I have a list of things that need changed on it which is more or less the same as everyone's list but mackie just don't give a shit.

I was at musikmesse in frankfurt this week and spent time with the new Allen and Heath desk .... It is streets ahead of this. Loads of reps there to talk you through it and spend time with you. The mackie stand was a different story. The chap I got talking to hadn't a clue, I ask to hear the new dl speakers and he eventually put his iPod through them at a really low volume and said what do you think great eh!!

I got the impression they just do t give a fvck same impression I got from the forum !

Mackie here's an idea just in case you missed it before ..... Move the poxy mute buttons

My desk is going for sale with the rack mount and original box if anyone is looking for a cheap toy mixer

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
Re: I have had enough of the 1608
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 02:22:06 PM »
Was it the iPad that crashed, or the DL itself?
I'll probably buy a QU16 too but it'll be more like £1k more expensive. Looks good though, I like A&H gear.
Seriously though, didn't you try it out before you bought it??
Might have a buyer for you btw, you're in the UK aren't you?
The older I get, the better I was!

Gmul

• Youngling
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 03:53:14 PM »
 I play keys with dtg77. We have given the dl every opportunity to prove itself. We have even gone to the extent of having 2 different engineers trying to sort our problems with limited and fleeting success.  The time has come to sell this toy. Bring on the A&H. Oh yea, can it really be that hard to, as my friend so beautifully put it, "move the proxy mute button"? Surely not.

Ps. We live on the west coast of Ireland. A town called sligo.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 03:56:05 PM by Gmul »

jlb

• Padawan
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 05:40:26 PM »
Sorry to hear that you are having so many issues. I myself have mixed over 50 shows with this unit with no issues. My Mix Wiz and outboard gear have not been used once since purchasing the DL back in October. It don't understand your comment about it being a toy. If you know what you are doing it is capable of producing great results. Ask more questions, give it more time before you pull the plug. There are people here that will be more than willing to help.

Dtg77

• Youngling
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 07:11:04 PM »
The iPad was docked I  opened master fader app it was fine for a minute then stopped responding and I had to turn it off to reset it. I don't know or care weather it was the pad or the unit as neither can work without the other.

By toy I mean it's not a professional piece of equipment.

Another major issue is the feed back in the monitors, Same amps same speakers same leads as our mix wizard and I have been fighting feed back since I got it.

Btw the Mensa candidate at the mackie stand in frankfurt said he thought it might be an eq issue..... Must tell our sound guys that one, did I mention the lack of interest they had on the stand

We didn't get to try it out first as new gear like this in ireland would never be stocked and you just have to take a chance.

The new a&h will work without an iPad, 16 chanel recording, mute buttons not put in as an after thought,a 4 band eq system with feb back controllers. In terms of build quality looks and feels like a professional desk.

Anyway if you do have someone looking for a second mackie send them my way

Cheers
D

jlb

• Padawan
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 07:16:41 PM »
How is it not a professional piece of equipment? I know many professionals that are using this mixer. This is what I do for a day job, not a hobby. Are you aware that the dynamics are pre Aux, and have to take this into account when using the compressor?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 07:24:15 PM by jlb »

Dtg77

• Youngling
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 07:55:06 PM »
This is also my job, we do in and around 100-120 shows a year. 
But no more with this piece of kit. I was taken by the glossy pics and the whole iPad thing but it is by far the cheapest piece of gear on our stage. In fairness you get what you pay for and we should be looking at a presonus to be honest

Dtg77

• Youngling
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 08:05:11 PM »
Mind you I was really impressed by the new A&h desk

Trshot

• Punster
  • Padawan
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 10:05:38 PM »
DTG77-

Sorry to hear that your not happy with your DL. Did it only crash that one time and are you mostly having a MON issue? Are you using compression?  If so check this out, http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?topic=206.0

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2013, 10:27:08 PM »
This is also my job, we do in and around 100-120 shows a year. 
But no more with this piece of kit. I was taken by the glossy pics and the whole iPad thing but it is by far the cheapest piece of gear on our stage. In fairness you get what you pay for and we should be looking at a presonus to be honest
I have two Presonus SLs, I'd hold out for the Qu. I plan to buy one. I had a few probs with multi recording on my first SL and never had the confidence to use it much after that for live recording. I know software & firmware updates have improved them but you still have to lug a laptop etc. Other than that they've been rock solid for me. 
I like the idea of multi recording via USB though. It'll give me an extra sweetener for hire customers. The SL 16.4.2 is £1650 (I paid £1950 in 2009) so for an extra £300 I'd wait. Reasound in Tyrone will have them in stock at the end of May, 2 hours up the road for you. How much for your DL btw?

Ps. I had a WZ3 immediately before my first SL. It took a while but I was/am very happy with the sound of it in comparison. A bit like the DL, it's only last weekend that I was getting what I wanted from it sound wise and got used with it's way of working. For smaller gigs I was using my SL16.0.2 for a month or so as I missed real knobs & faders. After the 1.4 update I pulled it out again and it started to fall into place for me. It has a niche, you know how small some of our gigs can be here on our sunny island;)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 10:41:50 PM by robbocurry »

Gmul

• Youngling
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2013, 10:29:57 PM »
Gav here again. It did indeed only crash once but in our corporate game that's already once too much. Don't know much about the corporate game in other countries but in Ireland you are only as good as your Last show. Reputation is everything and we have a good one. Last night we had that eureka moment of what happens if this unit doesn't boot again..... Mid gig.  With some many variables at so many different occasions the least one can expect from your mixer is reliability. In our set up we have employed many forms of redundancy with the exception of the dl going down. We do still have .our mix wizard in the truck but that even demonstrates the lack of faith we have in this unit. We will be upgrading very soon.

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2013, 10:40:25 PM »
I have done over 100 shows with the Mackie and zero, yes zero, crashes. I think your problem is you. Too much feedback? Figure out how to ring it out. I think you are just here to bash the dl1608. And omg get over the damn mute button thing. There are a lot more important issues. I have never bashed the dl. I have however bashed on Mackie and because of that I am waiting, patiently, to replace the dl with the x32 rack. You must be really shitty at mixing sound, or just really here to bash on the dl, which is also pretty shitty.

Dtg77

• Youngling
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2013, 10:49:02 PM »
Or maybe 100 shows in and it's meets your low expectations or talent ?? Seriously dude you don't want to get I to a slagging match here ;)

Buy the x32 disposable audio sound like its right up your alley ;)

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2013, 11:13:27 PM »
Just to clarify guys, was it the iPad app or the actual DL hardware that went down?

Dtg77

• Youngling
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2013, 11:23:28 PM »
Sorry dude, I diddnt make that clear. I don't know, the iPad was docked when it went down and we couldn't do anything untill it rebooted. My point is weather it was the pad or the desk it made no difference as one doesn't work without the other.

We did still have a second iPad going but that Gav 's for doing monitors mix and I don't know if his was able to control anything. I will ask him tomorrow.