Author Topic: I have had enough of the 1608  (Read 26567 times)

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
Re: I have had enough of the 1608
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2013, 05:35:36 PM »
Do you mean the 806?

Did a small outdoor gig yesterday, two singer/guitarists and two guitar duo's on the bandstand, beatboxers, choirs, dance troops and a 5 piece band on the 'main' stage. We ran two rigs with two DL1608's (just 'cos we had two available BTW, could have done it with just one but WTH....). Not a hitch, loads of complements on the sound and the slickness of the operation, and loads of interest in the DL/iPad mixing paradigm.

8)

diggo

• Padawan
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2013, 07:24:45 AM »
Having tried both the x32 and the qu16 they are streets ahead of the mackie in terms of "cutting edge "
And twice the price, and how many times bigger? In my case I wanted small and 100% controllable via a tablet. I had zero desire for "real" controls. While the iX16 or X32 Rack might suit me better I'll have had my DL1608 for a year before those ship. Anything "bleeding edge" you buy these days is going to be outdone in a year. You can wait forever for the next great thing or make do with what's available today. Rumor from Germany is that Mackie is even going to give me my master FX mute (via mute groups) so I'm uber happy :D .

This.

The DL1608 is definitely NOT a toy.

That said, mine will be relegated to "backup mixer" status once the x32 Rack ships, mostly because I dont have much confidence in the Mackie developers.
I also reckon Mackie's customer relations are very poor. Closing the forums was cowardly - no room for cowards in live sound! 

Sean

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2013, 08:13:15 AM »
Hey Sean,
If my experience with Behringer is anything to go by, you may need that "backup mixer" more than you think. ;)
Having said that, I haven't bought anything they've made in quite a few years, they may be different after their recent acquisitions.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 08:21:49 AM by robbocurry »
The older I get, the better I was!

diggo

• Padawan
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2013, 08:29:20 AM »
Hey Sean,
If my experience with Behringer is anything to go by, you may need that "backup mixer" more than you think. ;)
Having said that, I haven't bought anything they've made in quite a few years, they may be different after their recent acquisitions.

Behringer has changed, in A Big Way. Not only as a result of the acquisitions, but also a major leap forward in custom relations and service.
By comparison, Mackie is retreating into its shell.