Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Opinion poll: Which brand inspires more confidence - Mackie or Behringer?

(1/10) > >>

robbocurry:
I'm pondering the upcoming releases from Behringer but can't stop previous bad experiences with the brand clouding my judgment.
The DL1608 is the first piece of Mackie gear I've owned or even used. It's working fine and looks well built. So far so good. ;)
I have owned some brands that were partners (I believe) with Mackie and shared parts & development - RCF & DB Technologies.
DB Technologies is another brand I won't be rushing out to buy again. Their service department in the UK leaves a lot to be desired in my experience.

Prior to my DL purchase, I was aware of the Mackie brand and knew plenty of people who bought and used it. Reliability was never a topic of discussion.

On the other hand, I've owned quite a few Behringer units over the years due to a very local supplier and low pricing.
When the Behringer kit worked it was great, when it failed it was junk.
Behringer service (in my experience, in the UK) was very poor. Resale value of working units was poor too.

Don't get me wrong, not all of it went wrong but a significant enough amount for me to insist on testing every new purchase before I left the store.
Subsequently the local supplier stopped stocking Behringer because of the amount of returns and the poor service, he didn't want all the hassle for what was a small profit margin.

Now that Behringer own Midas they may well be a different proposition. 
The purchase of an iX16, X32 or X32 rack would be a significant chunk of cash here in the UK, I don't know if I could take the risk.
Maybe if they offered a three or five year swap out warranty I might be tempted, perhaps they do already, I don't know?
Any piece of equipment as important as a mixer can never afford to go wrong IMHO. The consequences are obvious.

So the question is: Which product would you be more confident in, Mackie or Behringer?

LeeSteel:
I have had a huge amount of success with Behringer products, however, I did purchase a XENYX XL2400 when they first came out and it didn't last a year before it started falling apart. It totally sucked (to use restraint and put it mildly).

I have and have owned several Behringer mixers and rack effects over the years and they have been workhorses. I have a small 4 channel Behringer mixer in an all metal case that was one of the first to come out (before the plastic sides). That mixer has been dropped, stepped on, thrown in a trunk, stored in a damp storage unit, lived under the car seat, had beer spilled on it and has generally been through hell. Still working for over 10 years.

I currently use 2 - ADA8000 in my home studio. I am also using Behringer powered speakers, 1 - B205D, 2  - B812NEO, 2 - B1800D, and 2 - F1320D with my DL and these powered speakers work week after week with no signs of letting up. HOWEVER, like Mackie, Behringer advertised products well over a year ago like the FCA1616 and the upgrade to the ADA8000, the ADA8200. Behringer keeps promising "next quarter" for the relaease. FCA1616 was introduced at NAMM 2012.

Generally I give Behringer high marks for their "bang for the buck" and durability. Every company delivers a clam once in a while. Unfortunately, I have not owned enough Mackie product to draw a useful comparison. I am very happy with my DL so far. I am just very anxious at this point for it's full potential to be realized. This unit has everything it needs to be way ahead of the pack but it seems as if Mackie is holding it back for some reason.

The iPad offers so much flexibility that Mackie is not taking advantage of like 3rd party plugins (in-store purchase). Hopefully the next release of Master Fader will shed a new ray of hope. This new My Fader is nothing more than a demo or proof of design for me. Just another example of something that could have been so much more. Especially with all the time it has taken them of get it into our hands.

Sorry for venting, it's just that the anticipation and disappointments are starting to wear on me.

RoadRanger:

--- Quote from: robbocurry on April 17, 2013, 09:13:09 AM ---I have owned some brands that were partners (I believe) with Mackie and shared parts & development - RCF & DB Technologies.
--- End quote ---
The early Mackie speakers were made (and mostly designed) by RCF in Italy and where top notch. Mackie then had Chinese copies made and sold those, not-so-good :( . That happened after Greg Mackie sold the company in 2003 :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Clark_Mackie

Uli Behringer still owns Behringer. Before Behringer's acquisition of Midas I'd have rated both companies about equal. Behringer does seem to be making a push to up their game as of late:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behringer

robbocurry:
Hey Lee,
Thanks for the reply, all venting welcome!
I've only really owned Behringer outboard gear and a few mixers, never tried their speakers or amps.
Maybe if I purchased multiple quantities of other manufacturers I'd have the same reservations about reliability with them too.
I'm sure I must have bought at least 20 of their products over the years. If you buy enough, maybe a lemon is inevitable?
I liked Behringer enough to buy "20" units even though I suspected their reliability, because they were cheap individually.
The thought of spending £1K or £2K on one single Behringer unit would have given me a cold sweat previously.
Maybe they have changed?

You're spot on regarding the DL and it's (currently) stifled use of the iPad interface.
It's good, but I can only hope for more features to come.

robbocurry:

--- Quote from: RoadRanger on April 17, 2013, 12:15:12 PM ---
--- Quote from: robbocurry on April 17, 2013, 09:13:09 AM ---I have owned some brands that were partners (I believe) with Mackie and shared parts & development - RCF & DB Technologies.
--- End quote ---
The early Mackie speakers were made (and mostly designed) by RCF in Italy and where top notch. Mackie then had Chinese copies made and sold those, not-so-good :( . That happened after Greg Mackie sold the company in 2003 :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Clark_Mackie

Uli Behringer still owns Behringer. Before Behringer's acquisition of Midas I'd have rated both companies about equal. Behringer does seem to be making a push to up their game as of late:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behringer

--- End quote ---
Ta for the info RR ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version