Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Opinion poll: Which brand inspires more confidence - Mackie or Behringer?

<< < (3/10) > >>

robbocurry:

--- Quote from: sam.spoons on April 17, 2013, 02:07:30 PM ---I have owned or worked with a number of pieces of Mackie and Berhinger gear (Mackie :- 3 x 1202, 1604, and, of course DL1608... Berry :- Eurodesk 8000, loads of gates, compressors and power amps) only failure was one Berry Europower 2400. We've had a worse failure rate with Crown XTi's, between me and the Hire company we own 4, 100% failure rate (and, despite it being a known issue 3 out of the four were expensive chargeable repairs). Also the Crown power amps in our PRX512M's have been troublesome. Just goes to show that reputation can be misleading, I'd have considered Crown way more reliable than Mackie/Berry 5 years ago.

Regarding the DL1608/ahead of the pack.. It is ahead of the pack right now, it must be 'cos their ain't anything else like it available. It won't be ahead of the pack any more when the iX16 comes out, than honour will then pass to the iX16, and from there to whatever follows. It's the way technology works. The DL is not perfect but, if the DL is what you want then it's the only game in town.......

--- End quote ---
Heard that about the XTi's, the early iTechs gave bother too. I steered clear of them.
I've never owned a VZ but had ten K2's over the years. I never had a single K2 fail me. (apart from blow an occasional fuse when the big torodial gets loose)
Anything can breakdown I suppose. It's how often and how quickly a repair can be made that forms perceptions.
I'll always have a wee place for a spare K2, it's one of my "saved searches" on eBay. ;)

PS. Sam -  Your Europower amps, is there good poke out of them? I always see them on Gumtree and eBay, usually pretty cheap, handy cheap spare....?

sam.spoons:
We've moved the Europowers on as they don't appear on many tech riders but they did the business for us for two or three years while we gradually replaced them with more rider friendly kit (iTech 8000's in fact, which have been trouble free so far). I suspect the XTi issues (and the older iTech's) probably related to a bad batch of components from the suppliers as they've all been reliable since being repaired. The Europower that failed almost totally fried a PCB, the tech suspects a total short under full load combined with a slightly dodgy semiconductor somewhere, Berhinger must use lower grade components than more expensive gear to keep prices low.

I'd have no particular worries about buying a Europower or two if I needed some more power amps.

LeeSteel:

--- Quote from: Jerrylee on April 17, 2013, 02:02:40 PM ---
--- Quote from: LeeSteel on April 17, 2013, 01:39:50 PM ---Jerry, in true "Jerry" fashion, points out everything that this board was never intended to do. Time will tell if a competitor delivers a board that sounds as good as the DL does, in the same small package, at the same price point, and includes all these "nice to haves" that you list.

1. I will agree that channel linking is a big request from.
2. I also need to have AUX sends be pre dynamics. 
3. I would have liked my DL to serve dual purpose and act as a recording interface but not a game changer in my case.
4. I don't need midi in my mixer.
5. The current Delay and Reverb are nothing more than plugins. We may be limited to 2 at a time, but we certainly should not be limited to which ones we use or where they came from.
6. One of the biggest things for me that is missing from this mixer is channel inserts, but I bought the DL knowing that ahead of time.

Jerry, you have bashed the DL from the beginning, even before it was released. I can't believe you have followed us here to continue your rant. What seems to be the problem? Is there no Behringer forum for you to blather on?

--- End quote ---

1. I will agree that channel linking is a big request from. (CAN BE DONE)
2. I also need to have AUX sends be pre dynamics.  (MAY OR MAY NOT BE POSSIBLE)
3. I would have liked my DL to serve dual purpose and act as a recording interface but not a game changer in my case. (NOT AHEAD OF THE PACK)
4. I don't need midi in my mixer. (YOU MAY NOT NEED IT, BUT AGAIN NOT AHEAD OF THE PACK)
5. The current Delay and Reverb are nothing more than plugins. We may be limited to 2 at a time, but we certainly should not be limited to which ones we use or where they came from. (NOT AHEAD OF THE PACK)
6. One of the biggest things for me that is missing from this mixer is channel inserts, but I bought the DL knowing that ahead of time. (NOT AHEAD OF THE PACK)

Geez you make this easy. Want to try again?

You act like just because you don't need or want it that no one else does. This clearly does not make the mackie have everything it need to be ahead of the pack. Your own list shows that.

--- End quote ---

My point is that there is NOTHING out there for $900 that has all these things you whine about.

robbocurry:

--- Quote from: sam.spoons on April 17, 2013, 03:28:22 PM ---We've moved the Europowers on as they don't appear on many tech riders but they did the business for us for two or three years while we gradually replaced them with more rider friendly kit (iTech 8000's in fact, which have been trouble free so far). I suspect the XTi issues (and the older iTech's) probably related to a bad batch of components from the suppliers as they've all been reliable since being repaired. The Europower that failed almost totally fried a PCB, the tech suspects a total short under full load combined with a slightly dodgy semiconductor somewhere, Berhinger must use lower grade components than more expensive gear to keep prices low.

I'd have no particular worries about buying a Europower or two if I needed some more power amps.

--- End quote ---
Thanks, good to know! ;)

sam.spoons:
My pleasure.

+1 Lee, there's nothing out there which does precisely what the DL does. If you want what the DL1608 does you buy it, if you want more you pay more......

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version