Author Topic: Opinion poll: Which brand inspires more confidence - Mackie or Behringer?  (Read 30251 times)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
I have 4 mixers, 15 rack gear of pre/eq's, FB destroyers etc., 6 mics and speakers and all but 1 ec8000 ever had  a problem. It was immediately replaced by Behringer. 1 Mackie and depending on your definition of problems I would give the vote to Behringer hands down.
When in doubt KISS

Harpman

• Knight
  • “If music be the food of love, play on"
    • Stefani Entertainment
I have 4 mixers, 15 rack gear of pre/eq's, FB destroyers etc., 6 mics and speakers and all but 1 ec8000 ever had  a problem. It was immediately replaced by Behringer. 1 Mackie and depending on your definition of problems I would give the vote to Behringer hands down.

WK154, prior to owning a Mackie, I've only owned Behringer equipment and never had issues. I still have my XL3200 board and it never gave me problems. I'm not a big fan of their powered speakers. I just sold two of my B212D (still have 1). I use the B212D and 2 F1320D's for monitors. I still own the DEQ2496, DCX2496, 2-MDX4600's and FBQ3102 and although they now sit on my shelf in the garage, they have never had any issues. I'm just not into lugging all that equipment around anymore. I always get the Pro Coverage from GC on any equipment I buy. I am looking into purchasing the iX16 when it releases (specifically for the multi-track recording capabilities). BTW, all the Behringer equipment I mentioned above is up for sale if anyone is interested (minus the monitors of course). The QSC K12's and K-Sub have been a great investment for me for FOH. I just bought my GF the new Shure digital wireless vocal mic a week ago and it's been great, other than a little interference with the Apple Airport playing tracks or intermission music. I've since switched the Airport to the 5Ghz band And that seems to have helped. Am I rattling on too much here? Sleep is so overrated! :)
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment
"We Bring Good Music to Life"

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
The steamroller keeps on rolling and on time. The X32 compact is available in Europe and will be here shortly in stores. http://soundforums.net/junior-varsity/4393-x32-discussion-328.html    or the stores Web page  http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/GBP/Behringer-X32-Compact-Digitalmischpult/art-REC0010350-000  . At about $2230 (CCI) it certainly would be a high end contender but pricey per channel ($142) compared to the rest. Remember that per channel cost is running around $84-$87 which makes the Dl1608 and X32 full version more competitive. Expansion capability and features of course go to Behringer. I think I'll wait til the dust settles and all the X32 models are out. Will RR win his bet of V1.5 before iX16?
When in doubt KISS

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
Will RR win his bet of V1.5 before iX16?
I don't remember saying that - but in any case those of us that own DL1608's will want to see what V1.5 brings before abandoning ship to the iX16 or other "X" mixer. I'm sure that Mackie understands that new customers will be choosing between them when the iX16 ships so they better be as competitive as possible by then (or shortly thereafter) !

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Your right that was my bet on Behringer but then you stated "I'll predict that Mackie will get the software sorted out by the time the iX16 comes out and most of us won't feel it worthwhile to "crossgrade" to it :) . "    V1.5?...V1.6 or never! So lets see whose marketing gurus try to upstage the other. Should prove interesting.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 03:39:59 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
So lets see whose marketing gurus try to upstage the other. Should prove interesting.
Yep, "There Can Be Only One" LOL. Mackie has the momentum, Behringer has the X32 codebase and some hardware advantages. But I have still not seen any definitive statement that the iX16 can connect to an iPad via the 30 pin or lightning connector. OTOH the Mackie has the "lightning connector" fiasco to work through so it may be moot with new customers. I like the option to go wired if my router goes teats up on me or the spectrum is too crowded at a gig.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Momentum on the smaller unit maybe but I've yet to see any numbers out of Mackie, 40,000 X32 units to date and limited supply isn't exactly being slow. I hope they never go directly to a 30pin or N connector except thru a USB cable. Apple has little choice but to provide this option for their iPads etc. or they'll loose even more market share.
When in doubt KISS

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
RR I have explained this in an earlier post. Maybe you didn't read it. The ix16 is not a dock. It is simply a tray to put the iPad in. The connector is the USB connector. This makes it very easy to plug the iPad directly in. 30 pin or lightning cable or whatever apple changes too.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
RR I have explained this in an earlier post. Maybe you didn't read it. The ix16 is not a dock. It is simply a tray to put the iPad in. The connector is the USB connector. This makes it very easy to plug the iPad directly in. 30 pin or lightning cable or whatever apple changes too.
You can certainly do that to charge the iPad I guess - but AFAIK Behringer has NEVER claimed that you can control the iX16 that way.

Harpman

• Knight
    • Stefani Entertainment
Never really has any issues with Behringer mixers. A buddy of mine is a Behringer distributor and can't even order the S16 Snake because it's on backorder.  Behringer is very good at marketing a product WAY before it's released (vaporware).  I like the idea of having a USB Type-A connector on top of the unit versus 30-pin or lightning.  Makes it way more universal in my book. Behringer has thought ahead on this one for android based tablets. BTW, the USB connector will not be used to charge the iPad (just like when you plug iPad into your PC via USB Type-A, doesn't charge the iPad). According to the Behringer rep at the NAMM show, he said the USB Type-A connector will be used to control the iX16 (as well as wireless). But then again, even their reps may not be that technical savvy. The Type-B connector on the back is used to connect your favorite DAW, but then again, it's another piece of equipment to lug around.  For ease of use and portability, the DL1608 has served my purpose well. Would I entertain the idea of purchasing an iX16 when released...probably.  Keep in mind that the X32, Xi16...etc. can be way more technical than the normal musician is capable of dealing with without a sound man to control it. The X32 Mix software for the iPad is way more complicated than MasterFader and will take a longer learning curve for most. That's my 2 cents ;)
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
(just like when you plug iPad into your PC via USB Type-A, doesn't charge the iPad).
Sure it does - when the iPad is "locked". I do it all the time :) .
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 07:48:51 PM by RoadRanger »

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
According to the Behringer rep at the NAMM show, he said the USB Type-A connector will be used to control the iX16 (as well as wireless). But then again, even their reps may not be that technical savvy.
Or they are making it up a they go - as marketing droids are inclined to do. I have DIRECTLY asked Behringer folks (including Uli himself) to clarify this point and no joy so far. Just lots of third parties that ASSUME you can and Behringer not correcting them - best kind of lying is letting others do it for you so you can maintain plausible deniability ;) .

Harpman

• Knight
    • Stefani Entertainment
(just like when you plug iPad into your PC via USB Type-A, doesn't charge the iPad).

Never tried it "locked" before.  See, you can teach an old dog new tricks :).
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment

Harpman

• Knight
    • Stefani Entertainment

Never tried it "locked" before.  See, you can teach an old dog new tricks :).

Interesting enough RR, I have an iPad 3 and iPad 4 (Retina) and both show as "Not Charging" when locked and plugged into my USB on the PC.  This might be a setting in BIOS and varies from MB manufacturers.  I will have to see if my ASUS MB supports it or not.  Will keep you posted.
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
Interesting enough RR, I have an iPad 3 and iPad 4 (Retina) and both
show as "Not Charging" when locked and plugged into my USB on the PC.
How would you know? The screen is off when locked. And yes, the iPad will only charge (slowly) from a "normal" usb port when the screen is off.