Author Topic: Quick poll: Who actually uses the iPad docked?  (Read 8453 times)

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
Quick poll: Who actually uses the iPad docked?
« on: April 17, 2013, 08:26:30 PM »
I'm curious who uses their iPad, or even a second iPad, docked. I am not really wondering about an occasional docking. I am wondering who leaves it in for a whole gig all the time. Also who might actually lock it in with the lock that comes with the unit.

The reason I ask is because people are complaining about the lightning connector. Yet it works fine with the adapter. But some people also complain that with the adapter they cannot use the lock.

There are so many more issues with the dl that I think this should be the least of our concerns. Especially when, as I believe, most people don't use it docked and/or locked.

I have docked it for recording a few times, and I have used my phone for recordings with the adapter with no issues. I also have left the house forgetting the Ethernet cable and had to dock it to set the mix. After everything is set I pull it out.

Out of over a hundred gigs I have docked it maybe 3 times for reasons I have already described.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Re: Quick poll: Who actually uses the iPad docked?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 08:33:36 PM »
I use it docked for charging or when I'm evaluating the DL but never on gigs.
When in doubt KISS

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 08:37:27 PM »
I leave my iPad docked and use my iPad mini wireless. I haven't locked it down yet but intend to. If the DL1608 was a 2U rackmount that could run from the iPad via the stock charging/data cable I'd not miss the dock at all.

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 09:53:16 PM »
I don't dock the iPad on gigs, though with the advent of My Fader (or if I had a mini) I may reconsider. Actually I use the iPad for lyrics if I'm playing and wireless if I'm mixing so probably not.  :)

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 12:25:28 AM »
Docked but not locked on all gigs so far.
The older I get, the better I was!

AbbaAgain

• Pint #1
  • Padawan
    • Abba Again
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 02:42:16 AM »
I have ipad 2 locked in and use my ipad 3 in a holder at the side displaying the FX levels and if i go mobile i take it with me. If I make a recording on the ipad 2 I just down load it via wifi so there is no need for it to ever leave the dl1608. I did do I gig in Spain at a fiesta last year and at  the time i had my ipad 3 docked and my ipad 2 in the holder. It was summer in very hot conditions and the docked ipad displayed a temperature warning about  half way into the gig and I was unable to use the ipad until it cooled down.... Thank god for the second ipad set up. This has only ever happened once and I do stress it was a very hot gig.  If I happen to use the ipad 3 docked I make sure I turn the screen brightness down to half, as I have noticed on full brightness the 3 runs hotter then the 2. I can tell you that on that hot summers day when the ipad went down my bum did some serious twitching !

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 03:32:38 AM »
Abbagain a good thing to get is a reflector. Like a sunshade used in a car windshield. I have play many gigs in the hot Florida summer sun and unfortunately sometimes the sun hits my board. I just grab my sunshade and put it over the top of my board and it makes a huge difference. I had my presonus in the sun once and when I went to pick it up and almost burned my hands. That's when I decided to grab my sunshade. Just placed it on top and the board stayed cool to the touch. This works for the iPad too. Especially the black ones.

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 06:53:29 AM »
I don't dock the iPad on gigs, though with the advent of My Fader (or if I had a mini) I may reconsider. Actually I use the iPad for lyrics if I'm playing and wireless if I'm mixing so probably not.  :)
Sam, what app do you use for lyrics?

LeeSteel

• Super Lee
  • Padawan
    • Lee Steel
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 12:20:05 PM »
I have one docked at all times in the DL. I also have a second iPad2 that performs double duty, Luminair and walk around remote for DL.
Plug up one ear and make it mono!

musicman7722

• Knight
    • Triple Play
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 12:23:23 PM »
Only for charging though with jerry Lees suggestion about mixing with it I may just leave it docked.

Tnelson494

• Padawan
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 02:43:47 PM »
I mix front of house at the start of the gig with my guitar wireless then dock the Ipad to record and play my Rhapsody app in between sets. It stays docked for the rest of the night unless I need to adjust something major I guess (hasn't been an issue yet but would do so if I needed to)

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 02:58:57 PM »
Sam, what app do you use for lyrics?

"My Lyric Book"... absolutely brilliant (I tried another one which was poor, I won't mention names but I got a refund it was that bad). I have an AirTurn pedal setup for scrolling/page turns, I'm wondering if I could use it for other stuff as it'll support 4 pedals and I only really need one (or maybe two occasionally) for the lyric display. How about a keyboard shortcut for fx defeat Mackie (the iPad sees the airturn as a bluetooth keyboard)?

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 04:02:21 PM »
Ta Sam:)

WJF

• Padawan
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 10:59:20 PM »
Un-docked for FOH during sound check. Docked but not locked during performance ...

WhatsThatSound

• Youngling
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 03:03:30 PM »
It's never been docked.