Author Topic: How Do You Guys Deal With Phantom Power?  (Read 9058 times)

ChiroVette

• Padawan
How Do You Guys Deal With Phantom Power?
« on: April 18, 2013, 09:18:08 PM »
Okay, my previous mixer had the same weakness as the DL1608 in that you either send phantom power to all the channels or none. The last gig I didn't have my new gear and the old Soundcraft Folio Rac Pack made the most horrendous popping sound every time I plugged in or unplugged an XLR cable. It was really annoying and even people in the audience were complaining. Anyway, I assume the same problem would be present with this mixer, and I have two people with phantom powered mics. So what do you guys usually do about this? How bad is the popping when plugging or unplugging XLR cables with the DL1608?

ijpengelly

• Knight
  • Weekend Warrior
Re: How Do You Guys Deal With Phantom Power?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 09:41:38 PM »
I would suggest you mute the channel you are plugging in or unplugging, works for me.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 10:08:14 PM »
I really try not to use any phantom powered devices. I have passive DIs and use a dynamic mic for a drum overhead.

ChiroVette

• Padawan
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 10:11:02 PM »
Thanks, ijpengelly. I might try that.

I really try not to use any phantom powered devices. I have passive DIs and use a dynamic mic for a drum overhead.

Tell that to the two singers in my band who have nice phantom powered mics they want to use. I hate the idea that I spent a small fortune on a PA and lights and might tell people they can't use their own mics. Kind of makes me look like an idiot.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 10:17:06 PM »
You can also use an outboard phantom supply for those two lines:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/294032-REG/Samson_SASPHANT_S_Phantom_2_Channel_48V.html

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 10:29:04 PM »
I would suggest you mute the channel you are plugging in or unplugging, works for me.
+1 for sure!!

I've been gigging a long time and never had phantom power damage any equipment. I think you have to watch out for "ribbon" mics - more a studio type mic I think. Never seen one at a gig in almost 30yrs.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 10:31:56 PM by robbocurry »
The older I get, the better I was!

Greg C.

• Forty-Two
  • Knight
    • Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 12:19:59 AM »
It should be SOP to mute any channels with phantom power applied when plugging in mics. Road, it's great you can get away with not using phantom powered mics and DIs. But there are only 1 or 2 models of dynamic mic for live sound that can go up as high as a decent instrument condenser mic for hats and overheads. As far as DIs, passive DIs are great for line level sources as well as instruments with active pickup systems. But they present and inadequately low input impedance for passive pickup systems, especially piezo picks used for a lot of acoustic style instruments. Using passive DIs for pickups requiring really high input impedances can "load them down" resulting in thin sound/lack of low end or "body." It can also result in other types of audible distortion like fuzziness.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 12:31:17 AM by Greg C. »
Procrastinators of the World, Contemplate Uniting!

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 12:28:55 AM »
I rarely run into passive pickups that need to be DI'd. I'm not doing recording so the slight lack of high end on my OH mic isn't significant - the cymbals are usually plenty loud anyways. YMMV :) .

ChiroVette

• Padawan
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 12:48:19 AM »
Thanks, RoadRanger. I will investigate the possibility of an external phantom power unit like that one. ;)

+1 for sure!!

I've been gigging a long time and never had phantom power damage any equipment. I think you have to watch out for "ribbon" mics - more a studio type mic I think. Never seen one at a gig in almost 30yrs.

It isn't damage I am worrying about but the annoying popping sound that makes us look and sound absurdly unprofessional while setting up.

Greg C.

• Forty-Two
  • Knight
    • Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 12:49:31 AM »
It isn't damage I am worrying about but the annoying popping sound that makes us look and sound absurdly unprofessional while setting up.

Mute the channels. It is not necessary to purchase outboard phantom supplies.
Procrastinators of the World, Contemplate Uniting!

ChiroVette

• Padawan
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 12:56:56 AM »

Mute the channels. It is not necessary to purchase outboard phantom supplies.

Well I am certainly not going to get one by Saturday, which is our first gig with all the new gear. Anyway, I created a basic snapshot for my band with some anticipatory settings. Things like engaging and setting the high pass filter on all the channels except for kick, bass, and keys. Putting in a decent reverb I liked while messing with the unit and a lone mic, and setting up all the auxes for IEM's (brickwall limiting) as well as basic wedge setup and panning for how the band will appear on stage. After reading the post by ijpengelly, I also muted ALL channels and will only turn them on once a mic is in that channel. Once there is a mic in a channel, then I will un-mute it.

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 06:37:29 AM »
Good job ChiroVette,
Pulling the faders/muting the channel is good practice. Nothing will make you unpopular as quickly as scaring the crap out of the punters!

ijpengelly

• Knight
  • Weekend Warrior
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 09:10:51 AM »
Yeh, its bad enough having the drummer test his snare when you are going about setting up his drum mics... i've almost come out of my skin on a few occassions LOL

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 09:36:02 AM »
Yeh, its bad enough having the drummer test his snare when you are going about setting up his drum mics... i've almost come out of my skin on a few occassions LOL
Nothing shortens you're potential life expectancy quicker than a kick drum or cymbal hit just as you plug something into mains electricity >:( >:( >:(