Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

How Do You Guys Deal With Phantom Power?

(1/3) > >>

ChiroVette:
Okay, my previous mixer had the same weakness as the DL1608 in that you either send phantom power to all the channels or none. The last gig I didn't have my new gear and the old Soundcraft Folio Rac Pack made the most horrendous popping sound every time I plugged in or unplugged an XLR cable. It was really annoying and even people in the audience were complaining. Anyway, I assume the same problem would be present with this mixer, and I have two people with phantom powered mics. So what do you guys usually do about this? How bad is the popping when plugging or unplugging XLR cables with the DL1608?

ijpengelly:
I would suggest you mute the channel you are plugging in or unplugging, works for me.

RoadRanger:
I really try not to use any phantom powered devices. I have passive DIs and use a dynamic mic for a drum overhead.

ChiroVette:
Thanks, ijpengelly. I might try that.

--- Quote from: RoadRanger on April 18, 2013, 10:08:14 PM ---I really try not to use any phantom powered devices. I have passive DIs and use a dynamic mic for a drum overhead.

--- End quote ---

Tell that to the two singers in my band who have nice phantom powered mics they want to use. I hate the idea that I spent a small fortune on a PA and lights and might tell people they can't use their own mics. Kind of makes me look like an idiot.

RoadRanger:
You can also use an outboard phantom supply for those two lines:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/294032-REG/Samson_SASPHANT_S_Phantom_2_Channel_48V.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version