Author Topic: DL1608 Compression Settings  (Read 13813 times)

ChiroVette

• Padawan
DL1608 Compression Settings
« on: April 19, 2013, 01:19:49 PM »
Hey everyone, I was going to make this just about vocals, but for total compression n00bs like myself, maybe a generalized compression thread where people with some more experience list out their settings would be cool.

So to start things off, what do you guys recommend for compression settings on vocals? I am playing a gig tomorrow with my band, the first gig with all the new gear including the DL1608, and I want to use compression, but I certainly don't want to abuse it. Nor do I want to get a ton of feedback!

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
Re: DL1608 Compression Settings
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 01:37:07 PM »
I'm using:
Soft Knee
Threshold: -14db
Ratio:  4.0:1
Attack: 5.0 ms
Release: 160 ms
Gain: 0

You can view the factory presets here:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/dl1608/database?method=reportRows&tbl=3
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 01:39:54 PM by RoadRanger »

ChiroVette

• Padawan
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 06:21:04 PM »
Okay thanks, RR. I looked at those settings and I am even more lost than I was before. Agedhorse, over at HC, recommended like completely different settings for a live mix than that with much different numbers. My sound man friend has completely different numbers still. Bottom line is I am completely lost and clueless with compression, limiting, and gating. I am not sure what something that is compressed is "supposed to sound like" and what it is not supposed to sound like. I think I get compression in theory in terms of threshold does this, attack does that, and so on and so forth, but have no functional idea of what or how to set a compressor. I have always been a musician not a sound man.

jlb

• Padawan
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 11:54:22 PM »
Compression is a tool. It is used to fix problems or used as an effect in advanced applications. I would stay clear of for now.

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 01:13:27 AM »
Jlb compression is one of the most important things in recording and live sound applications. When it comes to live work it is extremely important to get the polished sound most of us are looking for. Especially on larger stages. It is most definitely not used just to fix problems.

ChiroVette

• Padawan
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 03:29:29 AM »
Jlb compression is one of the most important things in recording and live sound applications. When it comes to live work it is extremely important to get the polished sound most of us are looking for. Especially on larger stages. It is most definitely not used just to fix problems.

I have to agree with this wholeheartedly, which is why I REALLY want to get good at using compression.

Kevin

• Door #1
  • Padawan
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 03:42:11 PM »
The right amount of compression to use depends on the vocalist and mic, and even then is fairly subjective

When you compress the dynamics of a sound you get a more consistent volume, and you can make the overall volume louder without clipping. You also get less dynamics. Depending on your style, you can go for a heavily compressed sound like ZZ Top (in which case you need to be careful with monitors using the DL), or no compression like JJ Cale, or anything in between. Sometimes when you have a singer who doesnt have very good mic control, then it can be a useful tool for keeping the vocals more consistently in the mix

I find that the default male vocal compression settings work fairly well for me. I'm not much of a singer, but I do lead voc on a couple songs, using an AKG D3900. My mic control is not great, so I lower the threshold a bit, to about -35db, with a 2:1 ratio. For me, its more about evening out my vocals, rather than going for a particular 'sound'. I play with and occasionally do sound for some really good vocalists, one of which is adamant about no compression and the others dont really care so I use the defaults and EV757 voc mics most of the time (I realize I'm dating myself here, both in terms of gear and musical points of reference).

As a point of reference - RR is using a higher threshold and gain, which is good for someone with better mic control who still wants to make sure that the input doesnt clip if he's eating the mic on load passages. In this case, its working more like a limiter than a compressor

If you are going for a particular sound, then you might want to spend some time tweaking the compression for your mics and vocal style. However if you are doing a gig tonight with all new equipment, I wouldnt worry about the compression settings too much, so go with defaults unless you have someone in the band with really poor mic control or if you have a punk rock screamer or something like that in which case you probably want to drop the threshold and maybe increase the ratio a bit.

Bottom line - the right compression setting are a bit like asking what is the best amp for getting overdrive guitar tones. You may get a lot of good opinions, but no right answer. If you have a particular style in mind, then you can get some opinions that will be more useful. I'd give some extra weight to your sound man friend's opinion, as presumably he has a good idea of your specific style, equipment and vocal abilities.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 04:20:13 PM by Kevin »

Greg C.

• Forty-Two
  • Knight
    • Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 04:47:12 PM »
As a point of reference - RR is using a higher threshold and gain, which is good for someone with better mic control who still wants to make sure that the input doesnt clip if he's eating the mic on load passages. In this case, its working more like a limiter than a compressor

The compressor will not prevent the input from clipping. The compressor is post preamp, always. The only thing a compressor can prevent clipping on is downstream buses and amps/speakers. You must still use proper gain structure at the mic preamp to prevent clipping regardless of any inserted processing.
Procrastinators of the World, Contemplate Uniting!

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2013, 05:00:06 PM »
^ What he said. I have not investigated what the DL1608 does but many digital consoles will clip the A/D converters before the preamps overdrive. That sounds quite nasty :( . My Phonic Summit mixer overdrives the preamps first and sounds similar to an analog mixer - it was a fairly common practice to overdrive the preamps on an analog mixer to add a bit of "crunch" and limiting to certain inputs like the kick .

Greg C.

• Forty-Two
  • Knight
    • Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 05:04:39 PM »
I have not investigated what the DL1608 does but many digital consoles will clip the A/D converters before the preamps overdrive. That sounds quite nasty

What digital consoles clip the converters before the analog preamps?

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2013, 05:11:39 PM »
Dunno, maybe the early Yamahas? Dunno about the Presonus SL. I read many folks worrying about it but don't know if it continues to be a real issue these days. I sure wish someone would verify that the DL1608 doesn't for us.

Greg C.

• Forty-Two
  • Knight
    • Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2013, 05:32:42 PM »
Dunno, maybe the early Yamahas? Dunno about the Presonus SL. I read many folks worrying about it but don't know if it continues to be a real issue these days. I sure wish someone would verify that the DL1608 doesn't for us.

It wouldn't be hard. Just hook an oscilloscope to the board's output. Run a 1kHz tone into the mic preamp. Bring the channel and output faders to unity. Start turning the trim up and watch the scope. If you see clipping of the waveform before the clip light fires on the preamp, then there's clipping of the A/D so long as the channel and output bus metering doesn't indicate clipping as well.

Kevin

• Door #1
  • Padawan
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2013, 05:39:20 PM »
The compressor will not prevent the input from clipping. The compressor is post preamp, always. The only thing a compressor can prevent clipping on is downstream buses and amps/speakers.

Point taken - you can set the compressor to keep your input channel high but not clipping - but it wont help you if you are clipping the pres.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2013, 06:01:16 PM »
Point taken - you can set the compressor to keep your input channel high but not clipping - but it wont help you if you are clipping the pres.
Assuming your mixer has good pre's overdriving them a bit (AKA clipping) isn't a big deal and is actually desirable sometimes.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2013, 06:03:27 PM »
It wouldn't be hard. Just hook an oscilloscope to the board's output. Run a 1kHz tone into the mic preamp. Bring the channel and output faders to unity. Start turning the trim up and watch the scope. If you see clipping of the waveform before the clip light fires on the preamp, then there's clipping of the A/D so long as the channel and output bus metering doesn't indicate clipping as well.
I know how to do it and have the equipment - just too lazy :D .