Author Topic: Master Fader V1.4.1 is Here!  (Read 8623 times)

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
Master Fader V1.4.1 is Here!
« on: April 19, 2013, 04:53:34 PM »
Don't get excited boys. It just fixes the issue some people were having that could not load 1.4
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 03:54:01 PM by RoadRanger »

ijpengelly

• Knight
  • Weekend Warrior
Re: Master Fader 1.4.1 is Here!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 03:11:26 PM »
I haven't gotten the update, but since the 1.4 thread is now closed I'll post some more observations here.

I have a Mackie sub that a friend of mine brought round for repair as it was overheating. Long story short, a set of replacement transistors solved the problem and of course it needed testing. So I dragged out the mixer and a W-Audio SM12 powered speaker to use with it. After annoying the neighbours with a 30Hz test tone I got on to trying it with some music and since it was all working find I thought I would finally try out the vintage EQ and Dynamics.

What I found was that the vintage EQ was considerably more prominent in its use, i.e. you didn't seem to have to add or subtract as much gain to have an effect and swapping back and forth between the vintage and modern alters the sound quite a bit. As an example, boosting 3.2kHz in the mid band on the vintage (with a narrow band setting) and then swapping back to an approximated modern EQ was reasonably dramatic. It went from bright to an almost flat sound. Its like the modern setting is almost attenuated in its settings. I do like how on the mixer page it shows the little knobs in place of the EQ graph... simple things, eh? :-) 

Now this was just using some pc based music, I haven't had a chance to use it at a gig yet (think I would prefer time at a rehearsal to mess around to be honest).

As for the dynamics, well its quite fun playing with them to see what the settings do and they seem to work ok, its definitely an more simple way to set them up and being able to watch the way the "meter" moves gives some clues as to what each of the settings does. However, the big issue with it is that the meter scale only goes to +3dB and a lot of my programme was going off the scale, not really much use.

Hopefully this is helpful to someone.

Jkowtko

• Padawan
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 02:40:15 PM »
Is MF 1.4.1 stable enough to use in a live performance?  I'm a bit leary since they took down the forums .. could be a tactic to prevent public flaming about bugginess of the new version while they scramble to stabilize it.  I noticed 1.4.1 has many bug fixes over 1.4 .. Should I stay on 1.3 for now and wait for a 1.4.2?

Thanks.  John
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 02:41:46 PM by Jkowtko »

ijpengelly

• Knight
  • Weekend Warrior
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 03:45:11 PM »
Very stable, in fact the only issues I have had with the mixer have been Wi-Fi related and nothing to do with the software or device hardware. You'll be fine with the upgrade.

Jkowtko

• Padawan
Re: Master Fader V1.4.1 is Here!
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 02:18:56 PM »
Okay, I just upgraded.

While the "show" screens seems a bit improved, I have to say I'm rather disappointed with the lack of new convenient features -- especially the relatively easy fix-it items, and the feeble attempt at re-skinning.

I guess we just need to rename our 1.4 wish list to the "1.5 wish list" ... :|

ijpengelly

• Knight
  • Weekend Warrior
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 10:23:08 AM »
The shows management is much better now, thankfully.

Which reskinning are you referring to?

Hopefully there will be a few items addressed in version 1.5, however, it is perfectly useable as is.

Jkowtko

• Padawan
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 12:32:25 PM »
1.3 was "perfectly usable" as well ... it's not a matter of raw functionality, it's all convenience features that make up difference between a tolerable product and an impressive one.   It's also a matter of seeing new "features" that are almost insulting to the intelligence of a sound person.

Ben did say that the guts of the app went through a major refactoring in 1.4, setting the stage for easier implemention of the types of improvements we have been asking for in subsequent releases.   So it would have been nice for him to tell us what's on the plate for 1.5, to establish some credibility with 1.4
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 07:16:12 PM by Jkowtko »

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 07:51:09 PM »
Master Fader 1.4.3 released today!
http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?topic=442