Author Topic: DL1608 with QSC K12 and KSUB  (Read 38199 times)

Topsøe

• Knight
Re: DL1608 with QSC K12 and KSUB
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2013, 07:04:45 AM »
You may have to flip the fase switch to get full bas when placing the sub away from the tops
If in doubt ask

musicman7722

• Knight
    • Triple Play
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2013, 09:31:21 AM »
Anybody have any exp. with the new carvin powered 18" subs?

Chris

Link

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/LS1801A

musicman7722

• Knight
    • Triple Play
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2013, 12:27:49 PM »
Just ordered a second K12 sub.  AMS had a stupid deal of the day with 12 month financing at no interest so it is on it's way.  Can't wait.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 09:11:03 PM by musicman7722 »

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2013, 04:43:30 AM »
Just ordered a second Q12 sub.

What's a Q12 sub?

musicman7722

• Knight
    • Triple Play
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2013, 09:10:28 PM »
Err KSub

mauijet

• Youngling
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2013, 09:01:31 PM »
Interesting that you asked about the Carvin 18" sub. We have a 2 year old LS1801NA powered sub that really kicked. For our rock dance band, we rented a couple others that were anemic. The Carvin gave us that kick drum punch we needed.

Then it just died this week, right before Friday night's gig! ...D'oh!

I'm so sick of powered subwoofer failure. I've had two home stereo powered subs fail, and now two pro audio powered subs crap out. These cheap Chinese plate amps, argh. I dunno, maybe Carvin makes their own amps, since they make the cab and assemble everything. Hoping they'll let me ship just the amp, from here on Maui, for repair or replacement.

Maybe the newer Carvin powered sub model is more reliable. I'm on the Carvin forum and a few sound pros over there like their passive speakers, but claim their amps are not real reliable.

Who makes the most solidly reliable, good value, powered sub? (probably a huge thread right there!)

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2013, 09:14:05 PM »
I have an EV sB750 bought used 5 years ago, awesome piece of kit. A mate, who was a tech manager at AMEC back in the day, borrowed it once and, on return, described it by saying "it can't half move some air". Amp-wise it's been totally reliable but the speaker died (to be fair when it was a few years old, and I did buy it from a DJ.....) when the adhesive attaching the cone failed. I had it re-coned by RMJ Loudspeakers and it's now better than ever.

Greg C.

• Forty-Two
  • Knight
    • Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2013, 11:18:16 PM »
Keep in mind that Carvin as about as bottom of the barrel you can get when it comes to anything they make. If reliability with real output is what you want, then you have to spend real money. Unfortunately the people who tend to abuse gear the most also tend to buy the cheapest gear that can't handle it. Most any gear can be blown up when pushed too hard, though the top shelf stuff is much harder to blow up due to hardcore limiters for protection. The cheaper stuff tends to blow up a lot faster. Some of the more expensive stuff does to, like the Mackie HD series. But their stuff is far from top shelf too. The mid priced EV stuff does tend to hold up and sound better than a lot of the others.
Procrastinators of the World, Contemplate Uniting!

mauijet

• Youngling
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2013, 01:08:29 AM »
Mahalo...

I have lotsa Carvin guitar gear that has been solid. But I'm going to move away from their pro audio and p.a. stuff.  Also just had their in-ear monitor, receiver belt pack, fail on me. But even at two years old, they are sending a free replacement. But those units are just rebranded, they don't make 'em.

The sub we definitely don't overdrive, usually keeping the volume knob at 1 or 2. Which is usually plenty in small bars & clubs.

Greg C.

• Forty-Two
  • Knight
    • Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2013, 01:26:59 AM »
Some very good friends well know in the international punk rock scene got a sponsorship from Carvin years ago for all their back line gear. All of it was flight cased with Anvil cases. Within 2 weeks, 100% of the gear had failed. Amps, speakers, and instruments. They dumped the sponsorship and never looked back. So I'm not so hot on their musician gear either. You may think, "oh sure, it was punk rockers." But truthfully, they take very good care of their gear and don't smash things or knock things over like a "stereo typical" punk rock band. They just play rock music really. After that it was back to standard names like Mesa Boogie, GK, etc. which have given them little grief. All the PA gear I've used of theirs from the 90s on has been utter garbage. Back in the 80s, they actually had some "ok" speaker systems for that era. But the mixers were still awful.
Procrastinators of the World, Contemplate Uniting!

prosoundco guy

• Padawan
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2013, 10:43:29 PM »
I use the K12s with Carvin SW1801 subs. Running subs on aux, the only issue is playing break music in between sets at club gigs.  Then you do get higher, unwanted frequencies into the subs. Might try the crossover route soon, when I need that extra aux mix for another stage monitor.

Nottoodeaf

• Padawan
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2013, 02:23:25 PM »
If you can live with mono FOH and want all of your auxes available and "aux subs" as well, try this:  Pan all non sub channels hard left and sub channels (kick, bass, etc) panned center.  Take the main L to one channel of a crossover and on to your tops.  Take main R to the other channel of the crossover and on to your subs.  Now you have all auxes available and your main fader controls tops and subs.  If break music is played through channel inputs, just pan center.  If it is played from the ipad while docked, you need to turn on mono audio in settings.

And guys, let's don't start that mono vs. stereo FOH debate!
Does that have to be there?  Not anymore!

prosoundco guy

• Padawan
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2013, 02:36:18 PM »

Stereo sounds better. Who would debate that?

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2013, 02:49:22 PM »

Stereo sounds better. Who would debate that?

He said "don't start....."  :facepalm:

Nottoodeaf

• Padawan
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2013, 02:51:26 PM »
Couldn't resist baiting me, could you?  Stereo sounds better when I am sitting on my couch between two stereo speakers or when I am listening to an act dead center.  When I am in front of the left stack and the guitar is panned right, I would prefer mono so I can actually hear the guitar.  To me, it is about consistent coverage.  Having said that, I understand that there are ways to use panning effectively, fx sound better in stereo, and there are some tricks to create a stereo field that still gives good coverage.  However, when I am doing an event that requires 160 to 180 degree coverage, I can't figure out how to pull off stereo.
Does that have to be there?  Not anymore!