Author Topic: Best way to split a signal - live shows  (Read 8132 times)

Pienuts

• Youngling
Best way to split a signal - live shows
« on: April 23, 2013, 05:33:02 PM »
Hey, all!

I am running a compact setup involving a DL1608 mounted in a rack with powered SRM subs/tops - nice and compact, and I'm loving the easy setups and teardowns!

The one thing I'm thinking of enhancing is adding the ability to muti-track record when I choose. To do this, I plan on throwing two PreSonus FP10s (I have quite a few lying around - don't ask  ;)) into the rack to take the 16 inputs and send them into my laptop DAW (if I choose to use it).

So my question is this:  what is the best way to split 16 signals to send to BOTH the DL and the FPs? I'm picturing a rack-mountable (2-3U) patchbay/splitter deal that has 16i/32o where we just plug our mics/instruments in and the path is sent to both mixers.  However, my googling has not given me much love.

Any ideas?  I would imagine this would affect the source signal, but would it become too weak to work with after splitting 2 ways?

Thanks for your help!

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
Re: Best way to split a signal - live shows
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 06:08:49 PM »
This is done all the time, with up to a four way split (FOH, monitors, recording, broadcast). These are pretty good:
http://artproaudio.com/art_products/audio_solutions/splitters_patchbays/product/s8/
Under $200 each if you shop around.

Pienuts

• Youngling
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 06:35:58 PM »
Excellent, thanks RR - that's very much what I was looking for! :) I'll use that as a search basis - do you think there will be any XLR/TR(S) combo ins (like channels 13-16 on the DL)?  It's not a huge deal to DI a couple of instruments into the splitter, it would just save me some coin if there was an option available!

Greg C.

• Forty-Two
  • Knight
    • Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 08:34:10 PM »
I'll use that as a search basis - do you think there will be any XLR/TR(S) combo ins (like channels 13-16 on the DL)?  It's not a huge deal to DI a couple of instruments into the splitter, it would just save me some coin if there was an option available!

Use DIs. The transformers in those splitters aren't designed for higher levels and will saturate with line level inputs. This will cause low frequency roll off and possible distortion. If you keep everything at mic levels, the iso split will be better behaved.
Procrastinators of the World, Contemplate Uniting!

Pienuts

• Youngling
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 09:37:32 PM »
Perfect; that's what I was concerned about.

Okay, after doing some searches it seems like ART is the only available option in the "compact" category - I guess I'll just get two of the S8s!.

Thank you both, and mark this as solved!

TimmyP1955

• Charter Member
  • Youngling
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 11:21:39 PM »
Two of those is $400 you could put with the money you'd get from the sale of the FP10s, in order to buy a mixer that can do it all.  (Presonus SL16s should be going cheap now that the Behringers are on the way.)

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 02:30:45 AM »
If you already use a Mac that has firewire the StudioLive is a viable choice, otherwise not-so-much.

TimmyP1955

• Charter Member
  • Youngling
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 02:41:29 AM »
Or wait for the baby Behringer, which has USB.

Pienuts

• Youngling
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 02:44:55 PM »
I love the DL - I think I'll just get the ARTs.