Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

How to EQ a female voic

(1/3) > >>

musicman7722:
Help Please

I have a very good female singer in my band and I am having the hardest time getting the eq to justify her voice.  We do mostly pop style music and I feel she has very good mike technique.  On a scale of 1-10 I would give her at least a 7.  He frequency range seems to  competing with two guitar players that are lound and proud.  Their quotes not mine.  I have tried both presets on the DL but both leave me satisfied.  Her voice seems to be thin with no real substance to it.

Can any of you pros out there help me with some generic advice when approaching a womans voice?

Many thanks.

Chris

stevegarris:
My initial thoughts are that she has the wrong mic. I start my vocal channels flat, with a hpf rolled off at about 120 and below. Vocal mic's with proper room EQ should not be too far off, so fixing something like that with EQ might not happen.

Do you have some other mic's she could try?

musicman7722:
All I have access to is a standard 58 and my senn E835.

WK154:
How are you determining that her voice sounds thin? With room acoustics or just by solo thru headphones and no "loud and proud"guitars? Until you have a full sound or one she likes with that headphone method possible boosting at the mid to low end there is no point in throwing in the guitars. That's what other mics might provide for you but you don't need them. The Senn would be my pick. Then proceed with the guitars and blend them (see the Ah ha moment). Keep going until everyone is individually eq'd then combine with lead first and don't let the hot guitars take over. It's the old divide and conquer method and you need a dictator (FOH engineer) to make a good blend Ah ha let me guess these guys have their own amps and drowning her and the main system out. Teddy Roosevelt had a FOH policy for that, "speak softly and carry a big stick".

WK154:
A note on presets. There not of much value unless you know what mic was used and what kind of voice your dealing with (lead, soprano, bass, tenor dynamic range etc.) female doesn't cut it. Channel eq's are for adjusting singer or instruments to the mic's nothing else. Main eq's are for dealing with room sound. Don't get the purpose of the two mixed (pun intended). David Rat (Levine) FOH engineer of Red Hot Chilly Peppers has a good series on mixing see youtube.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version