Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

channel strip output meter.... where is it?

(1/3) > >>

abzurd:
Ok, I just purchased a DL1608 Friday and used last night at a show. All went well and for the most part I'm pleased, but I see no channel strip output metering. Am I crazy? I searched the forum and saw no mention of it, no complaints about it missing and no wish list requests for it. There's nothing about it in the manual either so I'm assuming it's not there.

If this is missing it's the #1 needed feature IMO. How can you run sound from stage if you can't see the output of each channel? I'm left having to look at the input meter and the fader for the channel and guess how loud that might be.

WK154:
You're right their cheap on metering but does it really mater since the meters aren't very good. Real basic bugs. See my mapping of what they do have.
PPM meters I presume since there are no specs.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7wfpp0c11tewtaa/DL%20d608%20vs%20XAP800.JPG
Use your ears they'll serve you better on this mixer.

abzurd:
For context I've been using a StudioLive since January of 2009 and the meter bridge becomes your ears for the band mixing from stage. I know our show and what patches need help here and there. Still though that's a very basic thing. How can you put gain reduction on the channel meter, but no output. Just pure silliness. I'd forgotten to unmute the keys when we started the second set and didn't realize it until 1/2 way through the first song. Yes the red mute was showing, but the meter was all happy showing level. I'm just used to the SL and having it set to output metering.

I ended up putting all faders at unity and mixing with the gain inputs. Sounds stupid yes, but it's a workaround that ultimately gave me a true visual of the output. I do like the multicolors of the metering though. Lead vocal just touching the yellow and solos into the yellow. Gives you quick reference for volume without having to compare it to other channels.

WK154:
That's certainly a way to deal with it but it negates  the main advantage to this toy .. mixing mobility. No mater what neat colors or bouncing meter bars it can sport. No news that sexy sells. My cheap XDM (XAP800 based ) see:
http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?topic=355.0
will make it look like a fancy toy but ultimately it's not about looks it's about functionality and how it performs in the field with minimum attention.

abzurd:
Sorry, you lost me. Mixing mobility is super groovy and all and if you have a sound guy I guess you really don't need output meters as much as you can hear what needs attention. On stage it's a different story. Once inputs are good and sound is EQ'd it's pretty much fader jockeying, especially if it's the same band all the time. We start quite a few shows with no sound check at all. Just a headphone line check for level and the show starts (it's just how some weddings and corporate shows are). During the show the meters are my ears.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version