Author Topic: audio recording bug (choppy audio)  (Read 7117 times)

abzurd

audio recording bug (choppy audio)
« on: May 06, 2013, 01:45:02 PM »
I used the mixer for the second time on Sat. I don't really expect a great mix when recording the FOH but I record it just in case. The first time it worked fine. On Saturday though I got about a 1/10th of a second of audio, then a few tenths of silence..... 2+ hours worth of this (4 GB). Anyone else ever have this happen?

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
Re: audio recording bug (choppy audio)
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 02:36:08 PM »
Never had this happen. But here is a much better idea then using the built in recorder for many reasons.

Use a different app. I use tascam PCM, Auria, or garage band. The benefits of using something like these is that when recording, or just checking levels, you have some sort of visual feedback showing a signal. If something was wrong, like in your recordings, you would have seen no signal in the app.  Another andvantage is the ability to playback from the app. The built in dl recorder has no playback. So there is no way to test what you are actually getting on your recordings. With other apps you can just playback and make sure things are set up right. Also if you return the recordings to the iPad channel set to 0db then you can get an exact playback of what you just recorded. This way you can get a partial virtual soundcheck. There are many other advantages to using other recording apps. Editing, applying effects, mastering tool kits, iCloud. The biggest thing is the immediate access to your recordings. Then,using the recording app, you can do what you want depending on what the program can do. And all in the iPad.

Moral of this post: Don't use the mater fader built in recorder.

abzurd

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 02:43:18 PM »
Thanks. Not bad advice except I'm using a 1st generation ipad and I don't like the idea of garage band hogging resources and bogging down the system. I suppose I could give it a try. Really I don't care about playback on the ipad nor checking it during the show. I expect it to just work. It's supposed to be a no muss no fuss recording method. I just want it to work as intended.

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 06:53:32 PM »
the DL1608 simply does not like 1st gen iPads.
Newer iPads are far superior in speed and reliability especially for things like this.

Ditch the old iPad on eBay and get a newer one, that's my suggestion.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 08:48:23 PM »
Just make sure you "force close" all apps on your iPad before using Master Fader and you'll probably be OK.

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 10:19:53 PM »
I agree that the 1st gen iPad has to go. In the meantime download tascam PCM recorder. It's free and does not hog resources.

abzurd

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 11:53:35 PM »
So I got to the bottom of it. I was trying to isolate another issue, which is during the last set my lead vocals started getting loud static like sounds. Happened in all monitors. Anyway, while fooling around with the mixer I played back some music through the ipad channel via my Rdio app. The input looked fine but the output was that same fraction of a second on again off again sound.

I turned off the ipad and turned back on an all is well again. FWIW, this is my first Mackie purchase. I never trusted the brand since Loud bought it. So thanks Mackie for lying about Ipad 1 compatibility. So great... get a new ipad. That's just super.

AND I have to hope that was the source of the static sounds, which scares me because the Ipad isn't supposed to do anything sound wise to the actual audio of anything connected to the mixer. That likely means I have other issues with the thing. I couldn't reproduce the issue with my vocal channel though. I run a TC-Helicon VoiceLive and Line 6 XD-V70 mic. I never had a problem with it at all until this mixer, but the first show and 2/3 of the second went fine.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 11:56:54 PM by abzurd »

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 02:31:58 AM »
I still believe that if you "force close" all the apps on your iPad 1 and power it down then up again you'll be fine :) .

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 08:41:02 AM »
I have an iPad 1 and it records just fine. Like others have said, kill all the background stuff.
The older I get, the better I was!

abzurd

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 12:06:01 PM »
I have an iPad 1 and it records just fine. Like others have said, kill all the background stuff.

The irony is that the first time I used the board I had a DJ app running in the background playing break music and actually had to leave it up and running the entire set with the ipad channel muted just to get a seamless transition after the set because it's too slow and clunky to access the music app otherwise. Anyway, did it that way the entire show and no issues with recording or anything else.

This past weekend I had nothing else going on. It's not even a 3G ipad, just wifi.  No other apps were running yet I had issues.

I also had an ipad 3 (guitar player's) on a mic stand for wireless mixing. At one point I took it into the room to mix the after dinner toasts. I go to adjust a fader and notice all faders are "off", but the metering and other processing was working on it. The docked ipad showed everything correctly though. I had to kill the app on the ipad 3 and relaunch.

Just kind of a disappointing start to ownership. It seems filled with basic functionality bugs.

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 12:42:11 PM »
"I also had an ipad 3 (guitar player's) on a mic stand for wireless mixing. At one point I took it into the room to mix the after dinner toasts. I go to adjust a fader and notice all faders are "off", but the metering and other processing was working on it. The docked ipad showed everything correctly though. I had to kill the app on the ipad 3 and relaunch."

Per chance it hasn't been left on one of the aux channels? This has happened to me on a few occasions. I come back to the iPad and nothing is working. One reboot later it usually dawns on me I was on an aux not the main. Different coloured backgrounds for aux channels would be my no:1 request for v1.5.
The older I get, the better I was!

abzurd

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 01:18:10 PM »
"I also had an ipad 3 (guitar player's) on a mic stand for wireless mixing. At one point I took it into the room to mix the after dinner toasts. I go to adjust a fader and notice all faders are "off", but the metering and other processing was working on it. The docked ipad showed everything correctly though. I had to kill the app on the ipad 3 and relaunch."

Per chance it hasn't been left on one of the aux channels? This has happened to me on a few occasions. I come back to the iPad and nothing is working. One reboot later it usually dawns on me I was on an aux not the main. Different coloured backgrounds for aux channels would be my no:1 request for v1.5.

Good point. I suppose that's possible. I have caught me doing that a few times. I do recall putting the canned music through a monitor on stage, which I would have had to access an aux screen for.