Live Performance & Production > Sound Reinforcement

How many of you think you can hear FOH from the stage? Really?

<< < (3/3)

WK154:
Hi Gio,
Time to convince the drummer to go electric. Tell him space is at a premium then you can control him all you want.  :)

nedorama:

--- Quote from: jneau on August 09, 2015, 01:56:44 AM ---My only struggle has been getting decent tone from my 40w Blues Deluxe at a volume that lets him do his job properly.

--- End quote ---

Ah, the Blues Deluxe. On that amp Fender cut a lot of corners to hit the price point - mounting the tubes directly to the PC board, cement resistors, but the worst of all is the linear taper pot used for the volume instead of an audio pot - not even sure why as there's not a big cost difference, but it makes the amp volume crazy.

Here's the instructions, if you're doing it yourself, or have a qualified amp tech (i.e. not Guitar center) do it. You'll have a much more usable amp.
http://guitarless.com/2011/07/how-to-fender-blues-deluxe-volume-mod/

For other guitarists that claim they can't get their sound with their amp unless it's really loud, unless you're playing on 40' stages, get a pedal and turn down.

slystewart:
.In our band ,two front guys/singers plus bass two guitars and  drums...myself doing the sound on stage as the bass player , Not through choice, we had sound guys some good some bad  and ones that only wanted to play on certain days and we were getting let down all the time ,to find the right person as in our case a 7th member of the band is a must.
On doing the sound on stage using iPad and Mackie Dl32r is the way to go and keeping level on stage down ,a good onstage sound leads to some what good off stage sound.
One last thing we could not find a sound person but every gig we did one of our friends always came along and  with a lot of help she has a second iPad off stage and a typical audience ear ..not sound tech wise but could tell if his vocals was to loud or he could not be heard and could do minor adjustments a bit limited but helps

TimmyP1955:
Loud drummer?  Take his sticks away and force him to use Vic Firth Rute 505s - it will help a fair bit.  And, if he hits too hard with those, they will fall apart :-)

nedorama:
Old thread, I know, but on loud drummers:
The Rulte 505's or ProMark Hot Rods do make a difference and drummers can still use them.

Part of the challenge with drums in small places is the resonance of the drums ringing on and on - here's a few tips that are cheap and can help.
Deaden the drums with Remo Muff-L rings or the Evans version. It seems silly, but that little hoop of plastic can help reduce the resonance and ringing, making the drums less boomy.
Wallet on the snare - this removes the resonance as well, but makes the snare tighter and fatter sounding.
Blankets in the kick - again you'll get the beat thud, but no resonance.

Concrete wall behind - ask the venue if they can buy fire-resistant heavy drapes to cover the back wall. will class the joint up a bit, and help eliminate reflections. Just ensure they order fire retardant or resistant drapes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version