Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Pin One Problem on DL1608

<< < (11/15) > >>

cthesound:
Thanks WK154 That's the missing link my brain needed. Thanks for being active and helping!

nottooloud:

--- Quote from: WK154 on June 20, 2013, 12:04:00 PM ---I wouldn't use the Apple supply. Your other equipment could be adding noise and may need grounding.

--- End quote ---

Of course I wouldn't use the Apple supply for anything more than proof of concept. It'd burn up in no time.

The other equipment in this case is a Roland powered speaker, and it is grounded. I was going unbalanced from a Mackie aux to the speaker's highest gain input, turned up. With Mackie's supply, I had Mackie's digital hash. With the Adaptermonster supply, I had a smaller quantity of different digital hash, position sensitive. With the Apple supply, I had nothing but system hiss.

The point is that I changed absolutely nothing but the supply and all the issues went away. We just need to find the right supply.

WK154:
I don't know what your RF environment is you may need to add magnetics to the ground wire (position sensitive may be RF or EMI). For a lower ripple supply APX has medical equipment supplies but for a lot more $.

cthesound:
Ferrites on hand, thx!

WK154:

--- Quote from: nottooloud on June 20, 2013, 03:45:10 PM ---
--- Quote from: WK154 on June 20, 2013, 12:04:00 PM ---I wouldn't use the Apple supply. Your other equipment could be adding noise and may need grounding.

--- End quote ---

Of course I wouldn't use the Apple supply for anything more than proof of concept. It'd burn up in no time.

The other equipment in this case is a Roland powered speaker, and it is grounded. I was going unbalanced from a Mackie aux to the speaker's highest gain input, turned up. With Mackie's supply, I had Mackie's digital hash. With the Adaptermonster supply, I had a smaller quantity of different digital hash, position sensitive. With the Apple supply, I had nothing but system hiss.

The point is that I changed absolutely nothing but the supply and all the issues went away. We just need to find the right supply.

--- End quote ---

To be sure it's not a proof of concept to overload a supply and consider the "hiss" to be a better solution. If you were getting digital hash perhaps you could record it and view it's content along with the hiss? Electrons don't change their actions because of "position" of a supply or touching the plastic case. A bad connection to the mixer yes. You referred to an unbalanced high gain device and named it a Roland powered speaker (what model # ?). I don't consider digital hash as "all the issues went away" they either did or didn't. Without measurements of output signals it means nothing. It's all about levels. You are now entering the realm of an AUDIO SYSTEM not an individual piece of gear where all the parts can contribute to the noise (cable and Roland speaker). You also stated that it radiates like crazy, that implies you have a spectrum analyzer, Faraday cage and have results to confirm this!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version