Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Dl1608 with backing tracks in FLAC format

(1/1)

Harpman:
I've starting mastering my backing tracks in FLAC format since the quality IMHO is far superior than using "Lossy" technologies such as MP3. I'm looking for an iPad app such as LouderLogic or TangoRemote that would support FLAC through the DL608.  Having issues getting my FLAC files down to my docked iPad. I like LouderLogic for its normalizing capabilities but doesn't have the remote features of TangoRemote. Any suggestion?

RoadRanger:
The iPad has a hardware decoder for AAC so I'd use that at 320Kbps - I highly doubt you can hear any difference between that and FLAC. If you insist on lossless use ALAC. Any iOS player can play either of those AFAIK.

Harpman:
Thanks for the update, Yes, I may have to use ALAC over FLAC, since that's the only way I can get them to a playlist on the iPad. FLAC won't copy. I guess for most live situations it doesn't matter. The higher frequencies lost in "lossy" format are probably not discernible to anyone anyway.  I'm probably splitting hairs over nothing.  If I was building a track in my DAW from scratch, I would probably use ALAC, but most of the tracks are already MP3 and I've already lost the higher frequencies anyway.  My real concern is the more you keep compressing in "lossy" format, you eventually start degrading the audio.  When I master, I take an existing MP3 track, add some console emulation (N-type) to it and some compression, normalize it and export it.  I will give your suggestion of AAC with 320kbps a try which should suffice for live applications.  FYI, LouderLogic can't play ALAC files although the iPad player can.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version