Author Topic: Cheap Power Amps  (Read 7510 times)

samkokajko

• Charter Member
  • Youngling
Cheap Power Amps
« on: April 13, 2010, 09:44:08 PM »
I may be recommending a power amp for a few small speakers to be used as front fills (Peavey Impulse 6). The speakers are rated for 100W program and are 8 ohms.

At the moment there will be 3 but might add a 4th in the future. So in looking for an inexpensive amp I cam across several below the $300 mark.

The cheapest piece I would consider looking at is the Crown XLS202 at $200

Anyone have any thoughts on that amp? Seems to have good reviews, and does carry a brand name. It would be 300W into 4 ohms so that would be 150W to each box (2 per channel). That being said I'm not worried about over powering the boxes because what they will be doing is WELL within their limits SPL wise and they won't be driven anywhere near a level that would damage them.

There are also several amps to be considered at the $300 price point. Peavy IPR1600, QSC GX3 and Crown XLS1000 leading the charge there.

Thoughts?

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
Re: Cheap Power Amps
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 10:23:37 PM »
Amp choice sounds good - but you do realize these little guys are really inefficient and the 100db rating on them is not at 1 watt but at 100 watts :o ?

samkokajko

• Charter Member
  • Youngling
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 12:17:50 AM »
I always manage to overlook one big detail because it's plain as day in my head.

These front fills are for a theatre and only need to cover about 15 people 3 rows deep with moderate level dialogue. I've worked with the speakers before and they'll cover what they need to well. Thanks for the heads up though. These definitely wouldn't cut it if I was trying to use them for frontfills on a dance floor or something similar.

BillESC

• Preferred Vendor
  • Padawan
  • President of Entertainment Systems Corporation
    • Entertainment Systems Corporation
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 04:21:54 AM »
You might consider using a commercial 70v distributed system.   Amps are less expensive and offer more interface abilities like priority, phone, music, etc.  I usually spec EV's Evid ceiling speakers but know the Peavey 6's and either can do the job.  Nice feature of a 70v system is you can tailor each speakers gain at the speaker.  Think of a restaurant, given the same ceiling height, levels over the bar will be loudest, dining area less, bathrooms even less.  All this off on one amp and one two wire speaker cable.  With power (gain) taps at 1.88 - 70 V only), 3.75, 7.5, 15, 30 watts you have a lot of volume choices.
Thanks,

Bill ESC

Entertainment Systems Corporation
Innovative production services since 1973
800-582-2421
bill@entsyscorp.com

samkokajko

• Charter Member
  • Youngling
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 05:04:33 AM »
I don't know that a 70v system is really needed in this scenario. There will only be 4 speakers tops, probably 3 at the moment. The center 1 (or 2) will be on one amp channel, the two on the outside on the second amp channel to give me a little level control in "zones". The send for these is coming off of a matrix send from the console (M7CL-32) and will have processing as needed in the board (HPF, EQ and Delay).

HOWEVER, for my ever increasing list of gear, what 70v amps would you suggest? I recently helped installed a 70v system in the backstage area consisting of 13 speakers in different rooms with wall controls and an amp hidden upstairs that also gets a send from a matrix off the console. I had a hard time finding cheap 70v amps that were of decent quality. Maybe I was looking in the wrong places or using the wrong search terms.

A lot of what I was finding was in the $700-1300 price range which seems ridiculous when you can get standard power amps any day for $300 at 10x the power rating from good name companies.

I understand how 70v systems work and how to wire them, I'm just not involved enough on that side to know the gear available.

BillESC

• Preferred Vendor
  • Padawan
  • President of Entertainment Systems Corporation
    • Entertainment Systems Corporation
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 12:38:49 PM »
Amp cost will depend on the number of speakers used and what wattage they are tapped at.  20 speakers at 5w = 100w total load.  Since in 70v systems you have to de-value the amp by 20% you'd only need one offering 125w of output.

EV's PA1250T offers 270w of output for a little over $ 400.00.  Atlas Sound and Austrialian Monitors also offer affordable/reliable amplifiers.
Thanks,

Bill ESC

Entertainment Systems Corporation
Innovative production services since 1973
800-582-2421
bill@entsyscorp.com

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 02:08:55 PM »
A bridged RMX1450 puts out 76V. A bridged RMX850 puts out 58V. Either one is close enough for most purposes. The output transformer in your typical 70V amp is a major part of its cost - plus they don't make as many as "generic" power amps :).

TimmyP1955

• Charter Member
  • Youngling
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 09:32:57 AM »
One of the regulars on PSW just bought the new PV1600 and gave it a good beating on tops, subs, and monitors.  He likes it.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 02:14:38 PM »
One of the regulars on PSW just bought the new PV1600 and gave it a good beating on tops, subs, and monitors.  He likes it.
I'm lusting after an IPR4500 but latest word on them shipping is late July :(.