Author Topic: Optimal House GEQ with QSC K12's and K-Sub  (Read 5752 times)

Harpman

• Knight
  • “If music be the food of love, play on"
    • Stefani Entertainment
Optimal House GEQ with QSC K12's and K-Sub
« on: June 09, 2013, 01:42:54 AM »
I know a lot of you out there use the K12's and K-Sub with the DL1608.  I'm using the K12's as the tops running the DL1608 into the K-Sub first and then to the tops.  Does anyone have an optimal (or starting point) for the GEQ for the mains.  If so, can you provide a screen show of your iPad.  Thanks
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment
"We Bring Good Music to Life"

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
Re: Optimal House GEQ with QSC K12's and K-Sub
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 01:59:29 AM »
I know a lot of you out there use the K12's and K-Sub with the DL1608.  I'm using the K12's as the tops running the DL1608 into the K-Sub first and then to the tops.  Does anyone have an optimal (or starting point) for the GEQ for the mains.
Flat - powered speakers generally have EQ built-in to make them sound best flat.

Harpman

• Knight
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 02:14:38 AM »
Thanks RR
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment

Greg C.

• Forty-Two
  • Knight
    • Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 04:44:28 AM »
The main point of the graphic for the mains is to compensate for room anomalies relative to the speakers. As stated previously, self powered speakers have their own processing and corrective EQ, but that corrective EQ doesn't always satisfy all users. So by all means, use the graph to tone shape too as desired. But for real corrective speaker EQ aside from venue anomalies, you want a parametric EQ to hone in on the problematic areas as you can be very precise about the frequency selection and bandwidth you're affecting.
Procrastinators of the World, Contemplate Uniting!

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 04:47:00 AM »
Yah, one of my requests is to have parametrics on all the outputs - either instead of the present GEQs or in addition :) .

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 10:04:51 PM »
the very best advice I personally offer is to leave the EQ alone unless you know what frequencies are excessive.
There is virtually no chance of making things sound smoother (more flat) by just moving the levels in the graphic EQ.

I too have a pair of K12's that I use for some smaller jobs and I almost always have a flat setting on the mains... and that is because
the EQ of some individual channels have been tweaked to sound just right.

Sound is overly boomy... cut three bands in the shape of a V,... centered around 160 Hz.
Sound is overly shrill... cut three bands in the shape of a V,... centered around 3000Hz.

Dan

Harpman

• Knight
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 12:43:34 AM »
Ran the mains flat last night only made adjustments on the individual channels. Sounded great! Thanks for all the responses and recommendations. Greg, totally understand regarding different venues and having to adjust to the different environments using PEQ. This particular venue has always been a tough one to dial due to hard surfaces and a glass wall 30 feet in front of the stage. I was truly amazed that I didn't have to tweak much at all. There is something to say about using a matched system. Using the PEQ tweaks on the individual channels did the trick. Hoping future versions of MF will provide PEQ on the mains as well.
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment

musicman7722

• Knight
    • Triple Play
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 06:27:26 PM »
I run it pretty much flat as well.