Author Topic: Wireless streaming to the DL1608  (Read 19647 times)

BlendedMix

• Youngling
Re: Wireless streaming to the DL1608
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2013, 08:07:28 PM »
What part didn't work for you?

Also keep in mind that if you are forced to use the school's wireless network that anyone on it with an iOS device can download the Master Fader or My Fader app and control the DL1608 - it has zero security built-in and normally relies upon being on a secured private wireless network :( .

I'm a little, ok a lot, confused about this statement. "Zero security built in"? Then what the heck do you call a password? And if their are tech savvy people out there that know how to hack into the express do you really think they are going to waste their time to hack your router, download the Mackie app, and the mess with your board? Do you really think people are that interested in messing with some random band who happens to be using a Mackie dl, or any other iPad controlled board? Seriously?

While I completely agree with what you're getting at, it was VERY clearly explained to me by the school's tech department as to why it's a valid concern.  They take a stance of "If it possibly COULD happen, then we have to assume that it WILL happen."  For kids 4th grade age, it's a low likelihood for sure, but not impossible by any stretch if the thing had completely open access.   

In fairness, when I mentioned that it could be password protected, they were at least responsive to that, but then the head guy submitted that by just having another visible network showing on local devices, the confusion would cause unnecessary tech calls when they should be dealing with more pertinent issues.  In other words..."We're not doing ANYTHING that is going to potentially make more work for us."  That's why I'm investigating the 5g option at this point as the most viable one until that gets shot down, and then the AudioEngine will be next.   

The big fear, and I get it, is that there not be any pathway for anyone to get a hold of the school records.  The trick is for me to get a solution TO THEM and approved quickly so we can have it all tuned up and ready for the year end talent show.  That's when it will make it's first impression, and if it stinks...well, that won't reflect very well on me.   :(   
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 04:17:50 AM by RoadRanger »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2013, 09:18:21 PM »
Have you found out if they are using the 5 gig frequency? It's easy just use the iPad or any other computer that's dual frequency compliant and search for sources (802.11N or AC stations). Then see if they are using it.
"The big fear, and I get it, is that there not be any pathway for anyone to get a hold of the school records"
Gee where have I heard that scare tactic before? Of course anyone could walk up to a school computer and install Logmein or a similar program and have at it. What you have to have admin privileges, REALLY!! Oh but you can hook into the school system with your laptop? There are way to many holes in the schools security environment You'd be surprised what 5th grader can do. My position is quite simple but requires an educated staff. Use your network for teaching your subject matter and provide an INTRANET not a babysitting INTERNET on campus. The  Library could have a tightly controlled Internet access for student research. That of course would mean work for the staff to replace the paper crutch. The control of what you can get at the school would be the 21st Century equivalent of Gutenberg and concentrating on the subjects, screened by the teachers. Let the kids deal with the Internet at home. Don't even mention this to the tech staff they'll go ballistic. Welcome to our education system. Third World country anyone? Some schools in China are using two iPads, one at school one at home and synchronizing over the Internet. See this here anywhere? Don't get me started on this subject.
"In fairness, when I mentioned that it could be password protected, they were at least responsive to that, but then the head guy submitted that by just having another visible network showing on local devices, the confusion would cause unnecessary tech calls when they should be dealing with more pertinent issues"
REALLY kids are allowed to search for other sites and servers and connect or try to? Head Guy huh! Thanks IBM more FUD (inventors of Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt).
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 04:18:07 AM by RoadRanger »
When in doubt KISS

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2013, 11:50:43 PM »
I'm a little, ok a lot, confused about this statement. "Zero security built in"? Then what the heck do you call a password?
The DL1608 is NOT password protected.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 04:18:23 AM by RoadRanger »

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2013, 04:45:02 AM »
RR I just had to re read the posts to figure out what you meant. I thought you were referring to the airport express. Didn't realize what exactly was going on. You meant if the op had to use a school networked router, because they are not allowing him to use the express, then the dl would be opened to others gaining access.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 04:18:36 AM by RoadRanger »

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2013, 01:51:54 PM »
^ Yup :( .
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 04:18:52 AM by RoadRanger »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2013, 07:26:51 PM »
"The DL1608 is NOT password protected."
To keep the answer short and sweet the DL is more than password protected it's protocol protected and the WIFI is password protected (one would hope) for each access point. Unless this is a one room school there would certainly be a few access points. There can also be multiple logical networks even in the simplest topologies (ie. M$ Workgroups). This of course assumes no backdoor and sophisticated hacking attacks. There the DL is still protected via protocol.
My view and experience on this is that over 90% of school systems are installed and setup by outside companies (low bid or buddy). Most school tech crews are operators that barely understand what they have and certainly won't affect any change out of fear they'll break something. A lot are even managed by outside vendors. Working with this kind of environment is difficult at best.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 04:19:09 AM by RoadRanger »
When in doubt KISS

BlendedMix

• Youngling
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2013, 03:20:11 AM »
Hey guys...thought I would post a follow up. 

After talking to Apple, the Tech guys set the router up on a non-broadcast SSID that requires a user to type the network name, and a password.  I works like a charm.  At one point this evening I was streaming Pink Noise with my iPad Mini, EQ'ing the room with the undocked iPad, and using the JL Audio App on my iPhone to monitor the changes!!  It worked as slick as a whistle. 

I don't know much more about this than what I have read and seen on YouTube, but I thought this was interesting.  The speaker manufacturer sent me an SPL vs. Freq graph.  It was pretty, but I had no idea what it was or how to use it.  I was told it would be a "good starting point."  I had it tucked away in a drawer.  Coincidentally, when I used the RTA on my iPhone, the final Pink Noise 31 GEQ setting for the mains ended up being almost an exact mirror image of the graph readout.  I had a slightly higher level in the 2-3k range, but other than that it was very close.  Is that what is supposed to happen??   :-[

I have done my best to set an EQ level for the mics that will work for most kids and female adults, as well as for backing music.  I REALLY don't want anyone to mess with that.  Would it be easier to just tell them to leave the iPad docked and use the MyFader app to run the system, since all they can do is alter the fader levels, and mute when needed?  I'm starting to see that as a solid alternative so that they don't get the iPad out there and end up accidentally ending up on a screen they don't know how to get out of, or hitting something by accident.

I was able to stream music through the AP Express router through channels 13 and 14.  Not sure what was going on, but I kept losing signal completely at times, and I wasn't more than say...30 feet from the router.  What type of range should I expect to get with that in a completely open cafeteria??  I'm going to try isolating our router network only, as suggested above, and see if that helps.  Interestingly, I could use the MyFader App on my Mini or iPhone from the very back of the cafeteria, 70' away from the router, and it worked flawlessly.  Is that likely due to a more limited bandwidth requirement, or do you think there was something else at play?

Thanks again for all of the help.  I have a lot of learning left to do, but so far everyone has been thrilled with the system...thanks to you guys for that.       

« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 04:19:24 AM by RoadRanger »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2013, 02:31:57 PM »
What frequency are you finally using? I see the Tech Guys are co-operating instead of being hard-nosed. If you're in the 2.4 gig band you may be running into conflicts or traffic hidden SSID or not.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 04:19:40 AM by RoadRanger »
When in doubt KISS

BlendedMix

• Youngling
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2013, 02:50:16 PM »
I did not check that, but since my Mini and iPhone were able to connect with normal settings after entering the Network and Password, I'm assuming it was probably 2,4Ghz.  Since they had already set up the Ipad2 that runs the DL, I was just so thrilled it was working I didn't delve into that.  I will check on that later today and see if I can move it to 5 if possible and see if that helps. 

It made me leery, but it would be nice to lose the Rapco method of getting the music into the mix.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 04:19:55 AM by RoadRanger »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2013, 04:33:24 PM »
Which devise are you streaming music from? What iPhone model? You may be limited from iPhone.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 04:20:09 AM by RoadRanger »
When in doubt KISS

BlendedMix

• Youngling
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2013, 04:39:06 PM »
iPhone 4.  It was working well, but then would just drop completely.  I had to restart completely.  In fairness, I also moved closer, so hard to say if distance was the issue or not.

What dawned on me is that regardless of how we get the signal to the board, they will have to turn off everything...text, phone, etc.  Total drop for anything incoming. 
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 04:20:23 AM by RoadRanger »

Topsøe

• Knight
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2013, 07:01:56 PM »
Why not use Tango remote , and play from the docked ipad ? Then you only have to transmit control data.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 04:20:36 AM by RoadRanger »
If in doubt ask

BlendedMix

• Youngling
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2013, 07:08:20 PM »
That may ultimately be the best option.  Where I hit snags is with no Internet access for that iPad to download anything.  The tech staff has all that blocked even if a teacher with a password gets on the network. 

I'm working on a way to make that work, but logistically it would be difficult.  I know nothing about that app either.  Could they start and stop the music and select tracks pretty easily from the first row?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 04:20:52 AM by RoadRanger »

Topsøe

• Knight
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2013, 07:13:52 PM »
Yes , start stop select track .. The works  :)
The ipad is synced to some computer , so just fill it up with music from there.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 04:21:05 AM by RoadRanger »
If in doubt ask

Topsøe

• Knight
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2013, 07:16:37 PM »
And it does not take up 2 channels  :)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 04:21:18 AM by RoadRanger »
If in doubt ask