Author Topic: Wireless streaming to the DL1608  (Read 19643 times)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Re: Wireless streaming to the DL1608
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2013, 07:20:19 AM »
Your iPhone 4 does not have 5 gig capability so it will only be in 2.4 gig band. This may be the cause of your dropouts. IPhone 5 is the first working 5 gig unit, yes 4S has it but it's useless for the most part. Check all the channels being used in your area and their strengths and maybe you can switch to a cleaner channel or get a iPhone 5. Your Mini iPad should be able to give you all the answers. This tells me that your iPad mini is setup for 2.4 gig. Are you also tied in with the school network for Internet access ? You only need it for updates or if you are downloading Music. Both can be done without constant internet connection. I would disconnect wire access from school net WAN port for performances.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 04:14:26 AM by RoadRanger »
When in doubt KISS

BlendedMix

• Youngling
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2013, 03:33:48 PM »
Hi Topsee...there are all sorts of rules I have to abide by...no dodging them.  After yesterday, I have reigned myself that the iPad is going to be used strictly to run the system with the Airport Express non-broadcast SSID.  It is not on the Internet. 

Because I see scenarios where it is still convenient to play CD's, I am moving forward with teaching the staff to simply use the Rapco device.  It seems to just be a more simple approach for them and we avoid several issues.  I realize it is not ideal by any stretch, but it works for an elementary school. 

What I'm learning quickly is that if I don't simplify this, they are never going to be able to grasp it and run it themselves.  I'm sure I could find apps and ways to work around these limitations, but it's too much to expect them to be able to do it and I can't be up there very time they use it.  I used screen shots and PowerPoint and put together a detailed laminated basic guide and they are thrilled and at least able to use it.  If I start in on turning off everything, using Tango etc., that's a whole new can of worms. 

They are thrilled with the sound, and the ability to pull snapshots with pre-set levels.  It sounds great and is already infinitely better than what they had. 

I can't thank everyone here enough for their help!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 04:15:30 AM by RoadRanger »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2013, 04:08:21 PM »
There's and old proverb "You live and learn" good luck with the upcoming iPad fader adjustments etc. problems with the staff.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 04:15:45 AM by RoadRanger »
When in doubt KISS

BlendedMix

• Youngling
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2013, 04:45:33 PM »
There's and old proverb "You live and learn" good luck with the upcoming iPad fader adjustments etc. problems with the staff.

Yeah, I anticipate that happening.  But, we're ahead of schedule on the staff members who will use the system being comfortable with it.  The laminated step-by-step guide worked well enough for my wife, non tech savvy, to fire it up, speak through the mic, and play music through it.  So...for those who may run it occasionally, it is working exactly as planned.  If anyone ever reads this board who is in my shoes, and would like a copy of that guide...let me know.   

The Snapshots are the best feature of the system for me, which is exactly what I was hoping for.  They can touch one button and have settings that will work for MOST scenarios without ever touching even a fader.   

A great example is their upcoming 10 person talent show.  I set the levels for each kid during rehearsal (some play guitar and sing...piano and sing, some sing over music, some dance, etc).  We named their snapshot for each kid under the show "Talent Show."  So...as each kid comes up, we just recall the next snapshot with their name and everything is pre-configured for them.  That can all be done from in front of the stage, and the ONLY thing that has to move from the locked sound cabinet is the iPad.  The speakers are all mounted permanently so there is nothing to move in that regard either.  NOW...will there be a kid or two who isn't exactly the same distance from the mic during their performance, or some minor issues?  Absolutely....but having that starting point is a LOT better than having someone up there stage left where the sound system's cabinet is, trying to run a 12 channel mixing board with no experience.      

There will still be a learning curve, and I get that...but it's a LOT less than having a 12 channel board up there with a bunch of knobs that there's no chance anyone will ever understand.  While nothing is ever quite "set it and forget it," this DL 1608 system is doing exactly what I had hoped it would do to this point.  As people become more comfortable and we can play with it more, hopefully we can take advantage of even more of the features that it offers, and investigate more with how to make it work ideally rather than just usefully.

You guys have given me all sorts of ideas to try, and when I have time I'm going to try them to see what makes the most sense.  I'll report back...since I know you're all on the edge of your seats with this.   :D    Thanks for listening! 

« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 04:16:06 AM by RoadRanger »

BlendedMix

• Youngling
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2013, 05:01:03 PM »
Your iPhone 4 does not have 5 gig capability so it will only be in 2.4 gig band. This may be the cause of your dropouts. IPhone 5 is the first working 5 gig unit, yes 4S has it but it's useless for the most part. Check all the channels being used in your area and their strengths and maybe you can switch to a cleaner channel or get a iPhone 5. Your Mini iPad should be able to give you all the answers. This tells me that your iPad mini is setup for 2.4 gig. Are you also tied in with the school network for Internet access ? You only need it for updates or if you are downloading Music. Both can be done without constant internet connection. I would disconnect wire access from school net WAN port for performances.

I wanted to address this one specifically.  First off, thank you for clarifying the 5 Gig limitations.  I spoke with Apple, and even with the router being in a metal cabinet with the door open, it should reach up to 100ft. with no issue, so even on the 2.4 gig network, we should be able to narrow it down to what might be causing the drops.  I'll work on that.  I did want to emphasize that was ONLY with music streaming from my iPhone 4, and the MasterFader and MyFader apps worked flawlessly with my Mini and Iphone 4 from even the back of the 70 ft. Auditorium.   

The other issue is, the school has blocked their network from being able to download from iTunes.  Found that one out the hard way.  The Asst. Principal logged into the school network with the iPad 2 we are using.  We logged into her iTunes account.  BUT...as we quickly found out, we were not able to download anything on the school's network, even if it was only to pull up her library, much less even download a free app. 

I understand that there is a work around for that involving gift cards and special passwords from the Tech team, and I'm going to investigate that option today.  Ultimately, we will need to have that iPad to at least have access to the MasterFader app for updates, so I might as well cross that bridge now. 

Now..keep in mind, we ARE NOT reliant on that network...we have our own AE router, which is working well non-broadcast SSID.  So, we've gotten over that hurdle to at least run the system from FOH.  The next step, in a perfect world, is to have the ability to log into the Asst. Principal's iTunes account through the school's network when needed, and have the PTO give her iTunes gift cards to cover whatever expense there may be associated with downloading whatever they need.  I just have to get over that hurdle with the Tech Support group, and I'm hopeful we can make that happen.

I'm chipping away at the logistical hurdles.  I don't want to lose sight of the fact that the system is really working well, and sounds magnificent.     

« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 04:16:24 AM by RoadRanger »

BlendedMix

• Youngling
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2013, 05:34:51 PM »
OK..so just hung up with Tech Support.  The work around is to have the Asst. Principal take the iPad home, and download whatever she wants to the iPad.  Using the school network...not going to happen.  It has a big old filter that won't even allow podcasts designed to help teachers with lessons to get through, and that is a big point of contention up there apparently.  Sounded like an open can of worms that I stumbled onto. 

At least I know where we stand in that regard, and we can work around it.  Now I just have to figure out how to stream music from an IOS device without dropping, and we're on our way!  Thanks for the things to try...   
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 04:16:46 AM by RoadRanger »

Topsøe

• Knight
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2013, 01:32:21 PM »
It sounds like your "tech support" missed the entry test to the police academmy , and now want to impose redicolus rules on everybody as a revenge.
Stil the iPad has to be synced with a computer to be able to use itunes in the first place , that computer must be in your "tech support" as they set it up , so now al you have to do is every time you need something (as often as possible) put it on their table and ask them to do it , after some time they will give you acces :-)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 04:16:59 AM by RoadRanger »
If in doubt ask

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2013, 03:33:23 PM »
That's the tip of the iceberg. You need parent pressure to whip the tech dept. into shape. Preferably someone in the network business who knows what their doing. They're using FUD tactics against a non tech savvy admin. The administration clearly has lost control. The tail is waging the dog. A list of must haves needs to be generated that tech dept. needs to comply with and a performance review is in order. If they are so concerned about school records then they need to setup a Intranet just for that with encrypted data.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 04:17:15 AM by RoadRanger »
When in doubt KISS

BlendedMix

• Youngling
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2013, 04:19:48 PM »
That's the tip of the iceberg. You need parent pressure to whip the tech dept. into shape. Preferably someone in the network business who knows what their doing. They're using FUD tactics against a non tech savvy admin. The administration clearly has lost control. The tail is waging the dog. A list of must haves needs to be generated that tech dept. needs to comply with and a performance review is in order. If they are so concerned about school records then they need to setup a Intranet just for that with encrypted data.

Oh my...  :o    Well, I don't know about all of that.  I'm the parent of my 3rd grade son, and right now my main goal is to get the staff trained to use the system efficiently so I can step aside and get away from it.  My plan was not to be tethered to that school forever more, and it's not going to happen.  They have my services until the end of the school year, and then they are on their own next year.  The PTO paid for the system, but that didn't come with a lifetime service of me showing up to run the board.

As far as I'm concerned, it's running fine now.  Even if it never gets another MasterFader update, it won't matter to them.  As I said in the outset, this system was built on aesthetics, user friendliness, and geared toward voice intelligibility.  I could go up there tomorrow with my Yamaha 1000W mixing board, two S115V mains, and my Yamaha 18" Sub and run people out of that cafeteria. 
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 04:15:03 AM by RoadRanger »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2013, 12:19:10 AM »
Leaving it for the next guy heh! On your 2.4 gig connection you may be either helped or hindered by the orientation of the antenna inside the AE. Since I have no idea about the physical layout let me tell you the general principle that would help. If there is a flat metal surface (cover etc. from your metal enclosure in a preferably  horizontal orientation) that you can place the AE on, then the metal surface would act as a ground plane, orient the AE antenna (internal) perpendicular to the ground plane. Rotate AE (all axis's) until you get max signal 75' away (I don't know the antenna orientation inside the AE so do a trial and error method). If this doesn't solve you dropout problem there are more drastic measures I won't go into now  and you still need to check your WIFI channel usage and select the clearest one. BTW tech support should be able to help you with the signal strength measurement.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 04:14:43 AM by RoadRanger »
When in doubt KISS