Author Topic: Powered sub suggestions around $1000  (Read 10041 times)

samkokajko

• Charter Member
  • Youngling
Powered sub suggestions around $1000
« on: April 13, 2010, 09:49:41 PM »
A local dance troupe is looking for a sound system to use for their practice and performances. Because of their experience level and compactness/ease of setup I'm thinking all powered speakers. They have placed their budget around $2000, but that is a little unrealistic I think. They wil spend what they have to.

What I was thinking is 2x Titan Active 12s, 2x Proel Flash 15 subs, a small Yamaha/Peavey mixer in asmall slant top rack case with CD player, iPod cable, maybe a wireless mic, etc.

So basically are there any subs (or tops for that matter) that would fit around that price range? Maybe a single sub that would perform better for them then the pair of Proels?

It needs to have crossover built in for the sub and also to HPF the tops for eas of use.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
Re: Powered sub suggestions around $1000
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 10:10:22 PM »
Hard to beat that!

samkokajko

• Charter Member
  • Youngling
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 10:20:03 PM »
I guess I should also add in some rough prices we found.

For the tops I have seen the Titan Active 12s for $380/ea
The Proel Flash 15s I have seen for about $500/ea

So for the speakers total would be $1760.

I found a 8U top 2U bottom slant top mixer case (gator) for about $115 on clearance new.
$100 for a small mixer and we hit the $2000 mark.

Add a mic, XLR cables, CD player, iPod cable, speaker stands etc. and you have a nice little rig.

monthlymixcd

• Charter Member
  • Padawan
  • Rink Rash is Sexy. Support Your Local Roller Girls
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 05:16:21 PM »
You're probably not going to find anything else that compares for the money.

I have a couple of suggestions:

Have them get a 10/6 rack instead... they're easier to find (especially used) and will allow them to expand or if nothing else throw a rack drawer in the bottom to store cables, hardware, and manuals.

Maybe consider a pair of speaker stands for the tops (always nice to have in case they wouldn't need the subs) and just getting ONE good sub instead of two. There are many options (new and used) for a $1,000 powered sub. You could even lay a rubber mat between the rack and sub (to reduce vibration and keep the rack from sliding off) and the powered sub would also elevate the rack to the proper height for use... I'm guessing from stage, right?

BillESC

• Preferred Vendor
  • Padawan
  • President of Entertainment Systems Corporation
    • Entertainment Systems Corporation
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 08:27:00 PM »
A pair of SxA360's and one SbA760.  A bit over your budget but better sounding, more power and American made.
Thanks,

Bill ESC

Entertainment Systems Corporation
Innovative production services since 1973
800-582-2421
bill@entsyscorp.com

abzurd

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 03:26:55 PM »
The Wharfedale/Proel combo isn't the most robust in the world, but given it's exclusively for pre-recorded music I think it would make a fine little system. Pre-recorded stuff is heavily compressed and without the wild transients of live music. This puts far less strain on the system. I'm assuming it would also be used for general announcements during the show too. For that I'd put a compressor/limiter on the microphone, especially if you're going to have different people speaking or if you won't always be near the mixer to adjust volume quickly.

TimmyP1955

• Charter Member
  • Youngling
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 05:47:44 AM »
I heard a band using a B52 Matrix system, and it sounded quite good.  Sub and two sats, all power, under $2000.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 04:28:24 PM »
I heard a band using a B52 Matrix system, and it sounded quite good.  Sub and two sats, all power, under $2000.
There's some guy running around using two of those at the same time - supposedly sounds pretty good.

musicman7722

• Knight
    • Triple Play
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 11:43:54 PM »
There's some guy running around using two of those at the same time - supposedly sounds pretty good.

I used one of the 15" B52 tri system for quite a few years for my 5 piece band and it was very good.  I also used the tops for mons on occasion and I was blown away by them for quality.  I have a QSC system K12s and Ksub but am finding the low a bit lacking.  I noticed that Peavey seems to have a branded verson of the B52 system now for under $1000.  I am tempted to buy two of those and move away from my QSC's.