Author Topic: FAQ: 1/4" Plug Stuck in Combo Jack  (Read 14632 times)

nottooloud

• Knight
FAQ: 1/4" Plug Stuck in Combo Jack
« on: June 23, 2013, 04:43:53 PM »
I vaguely remember reading something about some 1/4" plugs wrecking the combo jack. Just happened to me. Has anyone here looked into replacing one?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 06:38:56 PM by RoadRanger »

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
Re: 1/4" plug ruined combo jack
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 12:08:49 AM »
with a new connector it's a piece o cake provided you have a good soldering pencil, solder wick and good vision.

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 02:39:12 AM »
Got a part number?

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 07:17:22 AM »
Got a part number?

No, but Mackie might tell you the Neutrik part number, if they don't let me know and I will open mine and find out.
Dan

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 02:13:39 PM »
Replacing the combo jack may be easy but getting to it is no small task. When you get to the analog part and DC converters take pics. Lots of baggies or trays for all the screws you need to remove is essential. Hopefully you  can get at the connector board without tearing the whole thing apart. Lots of cables connecting the digital and analog section. See http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?topic=346.0  Dan you may want to hold off trying to get a part # by dis-assembly. Good luck!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 02:15:22 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 04:45:26 AM »
Hey isn't this DL still under warranty? Send it back to Mackie and have them repair it. I'd consider it a defective part.
When in doubt KISS

Harpman

• Knight
  • “If music be the food of love, play on"
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 09:39:11 PM »
This happened to me with a cheap 1/4" cable where the tip came off inside.  Luckily, I was able to use long forceps to extract.  Not sure if this is exact but check it out: http://www.neutrik.us/en-us/xlr/combo-i-series/ncj5fi-s-0
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment
"We Bring Good Music to Life"

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 10:22:31 PM »
Hey isn't this DL still under warranty? Send it back to Mackie and have them repair it. I'd consider it a defective part.

The support query page on Mackie's website failed with an internal server error.
The Locate Service Center page insisted that I choose a product after choosing DL1608.
Emailed tech support directly, got a reply within minutes. They're shipping me a new one, and a label to return the old one after.

Third time's a charm.

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 10:51:41 PM »
Result  :) (as it should be)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 03:07:19 AM »
I was hoping that you would have taking it apart for Pics but you took my advise instead. Glad it worked out.
When in doubt KISS

LeeSteel

• Super Lee
  • Padawan
    • Lee Steel
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 08:43:48 PM »
I have already had a 1/4" plug stuck in one of my combo jacks. It took excessive force to remove it but I managed to do so without damage to the mixer or the cable.
Plug up one ear and make it mono!

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 09:50:23 PM »
There is definitely a problem with some combo jack/xlr sockets and also some switchcraft jack sockets when used with non original Neutrik copy jacks. I have had issues with a Soundcraft Live 7 desk with two or three jack sockets actually breaking contacts. The desk in question was in my little used home studio and was not subjected to the rigours of live work so I was disappointed that so called quality jack sockets had this problem. I almost never use the jack inputs on the DL1608 preferring to use DI boxes so I hope I won't run into trouble with the Mackie.

LeeSteel

• Super Lee
  • Padawan
    • Lee Steel
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2013, 10:52:12 PM »
Well fortunately, this plug is going to stay in and doesn't need to be removed. It's the return from my reverb unit.
Plug up one ear and make it mono!

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2013, 01:55:35 AM »
I suspect you're blaming the wrong side of the connection. I have certainly tossed my share of 1/4 inch connectors in my time. Some are cast some machined but the problem ones either have a sharp edge on the tip side or have a lack of insulation leaving sharp edges (ring and sleeve) to catch on. Some have been damaged in the solder process by melting the insulation making them weak. There are also sockets that have sharp edges on the contacts to catch on. Brute force in any case is not the solution, work it out by rotation and tilting for release.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 06:40:58 PM by RoadRanger »
When in doubt KISS

Iowaguy

• Youngling
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 05:48:17 PM »
Thanks for this tip:  "Brute force in any case is not the solution, work it out by rotation and tilting for release."
I just had two stuck and that tip saved me time, money and frustration.  I put a vise grip on the plug and gently rotated and tilted and they popped  right out. (It just occurred to me that if you look at this post just the right way it takes on a seamy undertone).
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 06:40:23 PM by RoadRanger »