Author Topic: DL1608 tonality comparisons....?  (Read 3844 times)

Chimmychango

• Initiate
DL1608 tonality comparisons....?
« on: June 28, 2013, 10:34:46 PM »
Hi all, new to this forum and the 1608/806
Has anyone noticed the difference in the sound of their system when using a 1608/806 compared to another console? (Flat, no EQ)
Mine seems to sound as if it has a HPF set to 400Hz, with like a 3-6db slope over the masters.
Is there a firmware upgrade I'm missing? ;D
The output level on the auxes also seems to be down a fair bit too......?
Well, I'll be investigating this further today as most of these observations were gleaned on first impressions.
I'll keep you posted.

stevegarris

• Knight
Re: DL1608 tonality comparisons....?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 09:55:22 PM »
I purchased my dl1608 early this year after borrowing one to do a show. My old mixer was an Allen & Heath Mixwiz3, used with a rack of analog eq's, comp's and effects. I've done many shows now using the Mackie, and many at the same clubs and same band as before. At every show, the sound not only is as good but has improved. I feel I'm getting better, clearer definition between the instruments, and the ability to walk the room and mix makes for a better sound throughout.

As far as output, I see no difference at all. Every channel has a HPF, and I use it as needed except on the kick and bass guitar. The gates work very effectively if you have a ringing drum kit. I use the comp's on vocals very lightly. The eq's are different than what I'm used to, and I find that I use them in an extreme fashion, with steeper filter curves and I use them to add considerably when needed. These eq's are digital and free from noise in my opinion.

I'm using my board with a JBL PRX portable system. I've used the on-board effects a few times and find them adequate, but for high-end effects I recommend a separate box.

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
Re: DL1608 tonality comparisons....?
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 03:47:37 PM »
I think the DL1608 is a very good sounding desk, as good or better than anything I've used in it's price range (and a step higher). I get complements from people who know so it's not just me and my rose tinted specs having spent the money  :lol: