Author Topic: Newbie with a live setup question(s)  (Read 6389 times)

Deadhead

• Initiate
Newbie with a live setup question(s)
« on: July 02, 2013, 07:35:09 AM »
Hello All,

This is my first post to this forum so I apologize in advance if I'm asking the wrong questions in the wrong forum.

What I was looking for is some advice lots of it on how to set up some equipment  we have for a backyard 4th of July party.  We are not professional musicians by any means just a bunch of people who like to hang out and play on there guitars.

Off the top of my head this is most of the equipment we will be using. I will add to this list tomorrow to include some of the smaller pieces of gear that we have.

PPM608 powered mixer
C 300z speakers
Fender bronco amp
Fender passport 150 PA with a extra set of passive speakers
Boss GT-6 that I wanted to run out to the fender amp and mic to the Mackie mixer
One of the biggest things I wanted to accomplish is the best way to set up a monitoring system. That's what I was thinking I could use the fender passport as powered speakers and the extra set as passive monitors.
I also have a vocal harmonizer I would like added into the mix
I have another older mackie mixer (1202VLZ PRO) that I was going to use as a sub mixer in case we wind up with more instruments than inputs.

I know this is not a lot of information to go with but please tear it up ask for more detail were I need it and I will provide it. All suggestions are welcome.  If you think I need something not listed please tell me.

One other thing to mention. This is set up like a open mic. There is no set list. So songs singers and instruments will be constantly changing. We are hoping we will have enough inputs to keep everything plugged in and just mute the channels not being used. I was looking for some advice on what setting are the most important to be monitoring on the PA system as performances change.

Thank you in advance for anybody's help comments or questions,

Jerry

Greg C.

• Forty-Two
  • Knight
    • Cameron Pro Audio
Re: Newbie with a live setup question(s)
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 07:38:38 PM »
The PPM608 is a pretty weak amp. I would't run anything through it other than vocals unless you have instruments that aren't amplified at all that need reinforcement.
Procrastinators of the World, Contemplate Uniting!

Deadhead

• Initiate
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 10:38:52 PM »
Really. Like I said were no pros and don't play on a regular basis but we have gotten together before and had 3 guitars and 3 mic's plugged in at once and was plenty loud enough for us. But like I said were just playing in the backyard with about 40 people there.  I have a couple rack mount crown amps that I could run the mix out through if you think I really need it.
Is there any other common mistakes when setting up system like this for a backyard party. Any precautions I should take to avoid microphone feed back. I want to be able to turn up vocals for different performers but had run into feedback problems in the past.
I'm looking for any tips and tricks people are willing to share. We really don't know what were doing at all when it comes to all the settings on the mixer so any info is great for us.
Thanks again,

Jerry

Greg C.

• Forty-Two
  • Knight
    • Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 07:09:08 PM »
If the setup is working ok for you, by all means. What I was referring to with my comment is that the PPM608 produces a maximum of 150 watts into 8 ohm speakers (like your C300z speakers) with 1% THD/clipping. That's not a lot of power. The more instruments you run into it, the less headroom will be available for vocal reproduction.

As far as feedback issues, mic pickup pattern relative to speaker placement is the first thing to consider mitigating feedback. Mics behind the main speakers rather than in front and monitors outside of the rear lobe pickup pattern of cardioid mics are a good start. Good vocal mic technique would be the second consideration. Feedback is far more likely when people don't put their lips on the mic as more gain is required at the mixer to get the vocal mics to usable levels. My biggest feedback headaches happen with loud bands that have vocalists with crappy mic technique where they're too far from the mic or getting off axis with it's pickup pattern. You should never be more than a few inches from the mic except when someone is really "belting it out" where pulling back a bit helps control dynamics. But a properly used compressor can do the same thing with someone constantly on the mic. The last thing for feedback mitigation is EQ used to "notch out" problematic frequencies that want to "take off". This is both for mains and monitors. The PPM EQ is nearly useless for this because it requires precision to get rid of problematic frequencies in a manner that won't suck the lift out of the mix. So unless you're going to purchase external EQs for this purpose and learn how to use them, mic placement and mic technique are going to be your best bet.
Procrastinators of the World, Contemplate Uniting!

Deadhead

• Initiate
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 03:02:17 AM »
Thanks for all the input I will be sure to put it to use the next time we set up.
Thanks again.