Author Topic: FAQ: Aux Driven Sub via Panning Left and Right  (Read 13595 times)

musicman7722

• Knight
    • Triple Play
FAQ: Aux Driven Sub via Panning Left and Right
« on: July 11, 2013, 11:52:07 AM »
Well I thought I'd start up a clean thread on panning the fronts.  There have been other conversations within threads but I felt it deserves a dedicated thread.  In the past I have tried and liked the aux out to sub but felt in my current situation it was a bit awkward.  I just purchased my second QSC K12 sub so gave panning a try.  For newbies this means I set my bass, kick and keys dead center and panned all my other channels hard left.  I did this so the headphone out left send goes to my IEM with all the channels.  The left out goes to my tops and the right to my subs.  Man this was a huge effect.  My whole system cleaned right up and I tell you putting just the kick, bass and keys in the sub really added some thunder to the low end, really!

I like this as well because when I adjust the foh master both are adjusted at the same time.  Also if tops or subs seem to much in a room it is easy to adjust at the speaker as they are all QSC powered boxes.  Hope to hear from others.

Chris
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 05:58:03 PM by RoadRanger »

Nottoodeaf

• Padawan
Re: Panning FOH left and right
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 03:30:57 PM »
I did this with my analog boards before I purchased the DL and have used the DL in this manner from day one.  Since I am not using powered speakers that might have dsp and/or filters, I run my left FOH out to one side of my Driverack and on to my tops and the right FOH out to ther other side of the Driverack and on to my subs.  Works like a charm.
Does that have to be there?  Not anymore!

abzurd

Re: FAQ: Aux Driven Sub via Panning Left and Right
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 05:16:12 PM »
Yep, using panning works fine, especially if you're running mono and are using all of your auxes. I'll just add that you don't necessarily want to set the things you wish to go to the subs in the center position. In addition to keeping the lows out of most channels, the other benefit of aux feeding is to have precise control of the low end in the things you want subs in.

When I've done this in the past I actually choose "hard right" for no subs (I think "L" for lows). As you move toward center you begin adding lows. At the center position you have "full signal" of both right and left outputs. As you go towards the left you start reducing the high end signal. So in practice you probably never want to go past center, but you could very well have various positions of the pan between center and right. Just understand "center" is the max low end you'll get in any channel.

Nottoodeaf

• Padawan
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 05:37:27 PM »
I'll just add that you don't necessarily want to set the things you wish to go to the subs in the center position.

I default to the center position for channels that I wish to feed to the subs as all sources that I send to the subs also have higher frequency content.  Since I am using the same crossover points for tops and subs, this assures that I have full spectrum frequency control over the source through the channel EQ.

abzurd

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 05:43:27 PM »
I'll just add that you don't necessarily want to set the things you wish to go to the subs in the center position.

I default to the center position for channels that I wish to feed to the subs as all sources that I send to the subs also have higher frequency content.  Since I am using the same crossover points for tops and subs, this assures that I have full spectrum frequency control over the source through the channel EQ.

Right, I understand that. My point is that, in addition to getting the gak out of the channels you don't wish to have sub in, the other benefit of aux subs is precise control of how much sub you want in each instrument. So there is no fixed place you want to put the balance control. It should be anywhere from the center (full subs) to hard panned (no subs). The correct position is "where ever it sounds best".

Nottoodeaf

• Padawan
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 05:48:34 PM »
The correct position is "where ever it sounds best".
There you go, using your ears to do sound!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 05:52:33 PM by RoadRanger »

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 06:15:24 PM »
The correct position is "where ever it sounds best".
There you go, using your ears to do sound!

What a novel idea  :lol:

abzurd

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 06:21:21 PM »
Yet the original instruction was not to listen but rather turn the knob to a specific setting .....  ;)  I'm just letting the "newbies" you're speaking to in your original explanation know that, while it will work as you describe, you do indeed want to listen and not just set it in the middle.  :thu:

musicman7722

• Knight
    • Triple Play
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 02:07:25 PM »
I do agree that using an aux out allows a lot more control of the signal as you can easily bring things upo or down.  But I find I have to much to deal with when mixing from stage so I opted for the easier of the two.

I also agree L makes more sense for lows on the pan but I actually mix with my IEM and feed them off the the left hand side which doesn't require me to use a special cable.

It's all good.

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 06:53:32 AM »
Tbh, this sounds archaic/over complicated to me!
But if it works for you guys - happy days!
The older I get, the better I was!

musicman7722

• Knight
    • Triple Play
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 11:51:02 AM »
"Tbh, this sounds archaic/over complicated to me!
But if it works for you guys - happy days!"

Do you mean the entire subject because if you do I am suprised at your comment.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2013, 02:42:16 PM »
Tbh, this sounds archaic/over complicated to me!
It's actually not that hard once you've done it once 8). Not something to be tried at a gig for the first time (although I think that's what I did  :facepalm:).

musicman7722

• Knight
    • Triple Play
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 03:46:21 PM »
I did but I have done the aux 6 thing in the past and I tested it out with one side of the system in my garage so no suprises.  I will say it again just having the bass and kick in 2 QSC K12 subs was jaw dropping.  iMHO it is so clean becausue no matter how good a crossover says it is unneeded stuff filters through to the sub.

jlb

• Padawan
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2013, 03:47:09 PM »
I would rather run subs with the pan or subgroup method. This way the subs track with the mains. You are more likely to cause issues at the crossover point if one continually adjusts individual aux/sub levels.

Nottoodeaf

• Padawan
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 04:01:27 PM »
True dat RR. Once you set it up, which is not difficult, you will find that you tend to forget that you are using that method.  I put my DL into service at a critical public event and was debating, in light of it being my first whirl with the new console, not using the aux sub method for fear of complicating my first use.  Decided to bite the bullet and the results were seamless, as expected, and while I explored the console all night, I never once had to be concerned with the aux fed method....master fader up = FOH volume up.  Master fader down = FOH volume down....system always in balance just as if I were using a traditional crossover method.