Author Topic: Just Joined the Club!  (Read 18037 times)

Fluddman

• Knight
Just Joined the Club!
« on: July 18, 2013, 02:06:48 AM »
Wow I surprised myself and came home with a new DL1608 yesterday

Despite being well aware of its shortcomings and the imminent arrival of the iX16, I still went ahead and bought it. :facepalm:

In my defense, I have gigs coming up where I will use every one of the 16 mic preamps and there is nothing (at the moment) comparable at this price point. 

The Master Fader App really impressed me and it was the main reason for my tempory lack of sanity.

Must go and vote on my preferences for the next update  ;)

Cheers

Harpman

• Knight
  • “If music be the food of love, play on"
    • Stefani Entertainment
Re: Just Joined the Club!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 04:29:26 AM »
Welcome aboard Fluddman!  The iX16 may not make it on this years Xmas list. Behringer is already holding up the other X32 units. My buddy is a Behringer distributor and can't get the S16 snake to go with his X32. Their X32-Mix software IMHO has a steeper learning curve than Master Fader, but is also way more granular and detailed. Can't really put my finger on it. Their production line seems way behind in relation to their marketing hype. I also couldn't hold out for the iX16 either.
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment
"We Bring Good Music to Life"

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 04:45:10 AM »
Thanks Harpman.

I am guessing it will take even longer for the iX16 to make it to Australia!

My first gig with the DL1608 is on Saturday. My biggest worry as you alluded to in another post is feedback in the foldbacks. One of the singers can go from a whisper to a scream so I usally run a heavy does of compression on his mic. Don't reckon I'll get away with more than a tad of compression with DL - but we'll so how it goes!

Cheers

Harpman

• Knight
  • “If music be the food of love, play on"
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 05:42:25 AM »
I looked back on my compression and gating settings for the venue we just played (reloaded the show) and compression and gating were OFF for the vocal channels. Must have inadvertently loaded another show or preset.  The threshold was set for -20dB, ratio at 4:1, soft knee with fast attack/release and about 7dB in makeup gain. Now its starting to make sense  :eek:
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment
"We Bring Good Music to Life"

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 02:28:23 AM »
My biggest worry as you alluded to in another post is feedback in the foldbacks. One of the singers can go from a whisper to a scream so I usally run a heavy does of compression on his mic. Don't reckon I'll get away with more than a tad of compression with DL - but we'll so how it goes!
I just use it as a limiter - set it so normally there is no gain reduction but it does limit on "screams".

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 02:49:45 AM »
Thanks RR

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 06:30:15 AM »
You bought a great little mixer. I have no regrets at all, and like already mentioned, I wouldn't be holding my breath waiting for the iX16!
The older I get, the better I was!

ijpengelly

• Knight
  • Weekend Warrior
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 07:02:34 AM »
Its a fantastic little mixer and I think there are a few people that have overly optimistic expectations from a device at this price point (and therefore can be quite negative) and which has essentially changed the game for a whole range of musicians and engineers. The fact of the matter is that it is perfectly useable, stability is very very good and any additions from this point on are a welcome bonus. You'll have a great time with it.

With regards to the compression and feedback, I run a reasonable amount of compression on my vocals and don't have much of an issue with feedback, obviously there are limits. Careful choice of mics and monitor positions will help to stop this becoming too much of an issue.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 07:08:22 AM »
Its a fantastic little mixer and I think there are a few people that have overly optimistic expectations from a device at this price point (and therefore can be quite negative) and which has essentially changed the game for a whole range of musicians and engineers. The fact of the matter is that it is perfectly useable, stability is very very good and any additions from this point on are a welcome bonus. You'll have a great time with it.

With regards to the compression and feedback, I run a reasonable amount of compression on my vocals and don't have much of an issue with feedback, obviously there are limits. Careful choice of mics and monitor positions will help to stop this becoming too much of an issue.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Couldn't have put it better myself!
The older I get, the better I was!

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 07:23:09 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement guys!

I am sure it will do the job and I look forward to using it for the first time tomorrow.

Cheers

ijpengelly

• Knight
  • Weekend Warrior
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2013, 07:57:33 AM »
Couldn't have put it better myself!

Thanks Robbocurry  :D

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2013, 02:06:52 PM »
Also new to the club and traded in a Presonus SL16.4.2 to go the wireless route.
Still have a lot to learn and worry a bit about monitor feedback.  Until I'm comfortable I still run the aux sends thru a EQ unit prior to the power amps.  This way I can pull the level down in a nano second if I hear feedback.  As I get better I will phase that piece of gear out.

Love the 1608 and the technology.  Plus it more fun to mix when I can walk the room.
I mixed one set with the ipad and the second using my iphone and the myfader app.
Both worked well except the myfader is really only good for levels and mute.  No EQ, pan, FX options.   There are things I would improve on the next software upgrade...but thats a different topic.   

Love seeing others comments.
Your never to old to learn something stupid

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2013, 05:06:26 AM »
G'day Rdmitch,

Interesting that you traded in the SL16.4.2 - I own a SL16.0.2 (still do) and bought the DL1602 to get a few extra preamps and better EQ.

Had I owned the 16.4.2 (instead of the 16.0.2) I reckon I would have held off on the DL1602 and waited to have a look at the Behringers.

Were you not mixing wirelessly with the SL16.4.2? I am curious because I aways thought the 16.4.2 is a much better mixer than its little brother and probably better than the DL1602.

Cheers

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2013, 05:14:21 AM »
Forgot to mention that my first gig with the DL1608 was a non event. Although I did lots of testing at home prior to the gig I didn't realise that the Airport Express I use for gigs did not have a Lan port to connect to the DL1608  :facepalm:

I ended up using the StudioLive for the night. The DL1608 will just have to wait until next week  :lol:

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 01:33:29 AM »
The SL 16.4.2 was a great board, but wireless operation required way too much work and I need fast set up and ease of use.  While the SL had great FX and probably was a better thought out board, I had it go out on me at shows at least 3 times (at different shows) and honestly I just could not trust it in a live situation.  In a studio or permanent installation it would have been great.
Calls and emails to Presonus really did not solve the problem so the chance to trade it in for the DL was an easy call.  I don't need ultra sophistication since I mostly do small shows and my own small combo gigs. The ability to eliminate snakes, run sound from the floor or adjust my monitors and do quick fixes from on stage was a great help
Your never to old to learn something stupid