Author Topic: Just Joined the Club!  (Read 18031 times)

Fluddman

• Knight
Re: Just Joined the Club!
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2013, 02:32:12 AM »
Fair enough RDmitch - sounds like the DL will be a good match for your requirements. I hope it works out very well for you.

Cheers

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2013, 04:31:49 AM »
After last weeks gig being a non-event, at least as far as the DL was concerned, I am starting to get organised for tomorrow's gig where hopefuly the DL will make its debut. I've tested and retested the wireless operation with a new Airport Express and I am confident of a great gig.

It's at a nearby winery - so I think the biggest challenge will be staying off the local product  :o for the four hour gap between sound check at 6:00pm and the actually gig at 10:00pm (dinner and drinks are part of the deal  :eek:).

Hopefully the DL can hold its liquor  :lol:

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2013, 09:26:45 AM »
I'm sure both you and the DL will do just great. 

Just be careful not to drop or spill anything on the pad when you go wireless.  I found that
I tend to play with the settings a lot out of boredom and because its so convenient.
I have to learn to use more restraint and after it sounds good to set it and forget it!

This weekend I have to do a outdoor car show and mix from onstage while playing drums.
I'll get a good overall mix during sound check, and than friend with "good ears" out in the audience
will signal me with any tweeks to be made.

Your never to old to learn something stupid

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2013, 01:11:22 PM »
Why not give the friend with good ears (and an iPhone maybe) My Fader and let him tweak as required  ;D

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2013, 02:43:18 AM »
Well I finally did my first gig with the DL1608.

Apart from a few teething problems, such as convincing the venue that no we couldn't just use one power outlet and then getting the wireless to connect, the gig went very well. In fact I was surprised at how good it sounded and in particular how well the GEQs worked on the aux sends. I had absolutely no feedback issues (as this was my biggest concern) - I still worry about the lack of a master fader page and the how much time it would take to flip through the aux sends (especially in a panic) to adjust any offending levels but this certainly wasn't a problem last night.

Another thing that surprised me was how loud it seemed to be in comparison to the Studiolive I used the week before. Of course this is very hard to substantiate because I was in a different room with a different band, but I seemed to have more headroom. The week before I was constantly tickling the limiters on my FOH speakers (JBL PRX)- this week there was't even a flicker on the limiter lights and it really seemed louder, particularly in terms of the vocals cutting through. My guess is that the Eq works much better on the Mackie - especially the high pass filters.

I think it will take a few more gigs before I stop taking the Studiolive with me as a backup but my confidence in the DL is definitely growing :)

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2013, 06:18:41 PM »
While I prefer not to, I generally have no problem running off one circuit, backline and all.

Greg C.

• Forty-Two
  • Knight
    • Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2013, 08:53:24 PM »
Another thing that surprised me was how loud it seemed to be in comparison to the Studiolive I used the week before. Of course this is very hard to substantiate because I was in a different room with a different band, but I seemed to have more headroom. The week before I was constantly tickling the limiters on my FOH speakers (JBL PRX)- this week there was't even a flicker on the limiter lights and it really seemed louder, particularly in terms of the vocals cutting through.

I doubt that the console was the difference. Most likely as you suggested, the different band and room are the likely factors.
Procrastinators of the World, Contemplate Uniting!

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2013, 09:57:59 PM »
+1 Acoustics, mics, mike placement and technique, speaker placement, and gain structure are by far more of an influence than any mixer. Your desire to have the new setup sound better also will influence your opinion.
When in doubt KISS

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2013, 10:25:49 PM »
While I prefer not to, I generally have no problem running off one circuit, backline and all.
Cheers RR

I can't quite do it on one outlet as I run lots of lights. The one outlet that they wanted me to use was also powering a very large drinks fridge. It was a recipe for disaster!

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2013, 10:33:55 PM »
Greg C and WK154 - you are probably right.

I do reckon that the high pass filters work much better on the DL1608 than on the Studiolive.

Cheers

Greg C.

• Forty-Two
  • Knight
    • Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2013, 06:18:32 AM »
I do reckon that the high pass filters work much better on the DL1608 than on the Studiolive.

You reckon correctly. I forgot that the HPFs on the Studio Live are a confounding 6dB per octave slope which is awful. Whoever made that choice of slope need to get their head checked. That alone for me is a reason to not buy one.  12dB per octave is the minimum slope you would want on any mixer. 18dB per octave is better though I'm not a fan of odd order filters. I really dig the 24dB per octave HPFs on the higher end console I use.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 07:03:22 AM by Greg C. »

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2013, 07:02:00 AM »

You reckon correctly. I forgot that the HPFs on the Studio Live are a confounding 6dB per octave slope which is awful. Whoever made that choice of slope need to get their head checked. That alone for me is a reason to not buy one.  12dB per octave is the minimum slope you would want on any mixer. 18dB per octave is better though I'm not a fan of odd order filters. I really dig the 24dB per HPFs on the higher end console I use.

Ooh maybe that's it! I am looking forward to trying the DL in a room I'm more familiar with. Hopefully I'll notice the same pleasant improvement.

Cheers

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2013, 04:57:31 PM »
On second thought send that bottle of Cab to the Presonus software guys so they can fix that 6 dB HPF slope problem. Since it is software and as as Greg pointed out.
You reckon correctly. I forgot that the HPFs on the Studio Live are a confounding 6dB per octave slope which is awful. Whoever made that choice of slope need to get their head checked. That alone for me is a reason to not buy one.  12dB per octave is the minimum slope you would want on any mixer. 18dB per octave is better though I'm not a fan of odd order filters. I really dig the 24dB per octave HPFs on the higher end console I use.
It should be fixed and maybe even made variable 6-24 dB. It is also noticeably absent from their specs.
When in doubt KISS

Greg C.

• Forty-Two
  • Knight
    • Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2013, 05:07:59 PM »
People have been complaining about it since the first version shipped. I can't believe they haven't done anything about it. I'm assuming they haven't since the user guide still states, "The High Pass Filter’s slope is -6 dB/octave."

Blech.

Greg C.

• Forty-Two
  • Knight
    • Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2013, 06:30:04 PM »
Just checked the user guide for the Presonous 32.4.2AI. 6dB/oct. high pass on that one too. Seriously, on a $4000 console?