Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Feedback quandary

<< < (9/9)

Greg C.:

--- Quote from: WK154 on July 21, 2013, 03:53:27 PM ---The open mic problem with pickup of drums can be addressed with the gate, of course mute on the channel will do the job. Done successfully with automatic mixers all the time and referred to as NOM (number of open mics). This when properly set should eliminate the drum pickup problem and also reduce potential feedback.

--- End quote ---

I've found gating of vocal mics to keep out other instruments & stage wash to be pretty ineffective, especially stages with loud drummers. The snare will always trip the gate if it's the loudest thing on stage. Also, even if you can get the gate to behave well enough to only open when the vocalist is on the mic, I find it disconcerting when the gate does open because it also causes a jump in the level of stage wash which then pops off when the gate closes again even if the gate is set for a relatively low level of attenuation. IMHO, it's better to use mics with high off-axis rejection like Audiix OM6s and 7s. If you have vocalists with poor mic technique on a loud stage where they can't use such a mic and have to go with a more forgiving SM58, no amount of processing is going to fix it anyway. It is what it is.

WK154:
Agreed I don't use gates except in very uniform background situations and then rarely. I certainly agree with finding the right mic for the job and stopping the problem at the source instead of band aids down the road. In the above  case mute is the most effective.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version