Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

My first four 'big' gigs

(1/2) > >>

lightguy48:
So I after buying my DL1608 last year and basically working a lot of smaller gigs where it was really convenient to not have to run a snake or mix from stage and wander back and forth to tweak all night long I finally got around to my first weekend of decent sized gigs. 

I was given the job of running sound at one of the venues at Tulsa's Center of the Universe festival, four bands over two nights.  I used a total of four tops, two subs, three powered wedges, and with one band with an IEM for the lead vocalist.

Most all bands had the same set up, kick, snare, rack, floor, bass, two guitars, keys or acoustic, and 2 to 3 vocal mics so typically 11 - 12 channels.

I was running an Airport Express for my access point/switch as I was also running Luminair with an Enttec DMX interface for lighting.

Technically I had zero issues other than at one point the number of bodies in the venue started absorbing too much of the wifi signal as it was sitting on the floor of the stage.  In the future if I get this gig again I will have to look at raising the location of the AP to keep it more line of sight. I never lost my connection once but as the venue reached capacity I could see some latency in the meters at times.

Unfortunately I have to beat a dead horse because they issues I had were the typical ones we all complain about.

When I have an aux set to pre I don't want my EQ's going to the monitors, it was a constant battle with the wedges on a very confined staged.  I run a DBX AFS-224 and rang out the stage ahead of the main performance but there is no way to set presets on the AFS-224 like you can on the 1608 so when I had s couple of singers bring their own mics (one being a really hot Beyerdynamic) and it was battle because I had to tone one down significantly due to the exaggerated sibilance on it yet he liked the brightness on stage. It's really frustrating to have to be conservative about adjustments in the main mix adjustments knowing that what I'm doing is skewing the stage monitors too.

Tempo tap was an issue not being able to access it from the main screen.

Considering I wasn't using all 16 channels being able to hide unused channels would have been nice to cut down on the side-to-side scrolling getting down to the effects faders.

I can't believe I never accidentally hit a mute button getting to the EQ, a first for me but I still think the placement is poor.

While I didn't have any stereo feeds at this show I normally do for my other shows and stereo linking is still a sore spot for me.

Some muting options would also be nice, maybe on the title bar like 4 muting groups on side and the effects short cut / tempo tap on the other side

Overall the shows went very well and the bands were happy with everything I just wish I had a little more confidence in my mixing freedoms because the monitor/aux issues continue to restrain my options for the main mix

iamdunker:
Yo,  I got 40 shows under my belt using the dl1608 with a few comments as well.  1st and foremost complaint is that if the temp is above 90 degrees Fahrenheit,  forget it,  iPad says that it is to hot to run.  Ok, that is an apple thing i understand,  but it is oh so important.  Second is obviously it the aux sends being pre fx switchable.  Third and I'm honestly gonna say that this is a three way tie,  is the tap tempo delay button not being on the Home screen. I access that page literally 40 to 60 times some shows.  These three , well two things addressed as one isn't mackies fault, would make this thing worth its weight in gold.  Also,  first post.  Hi!!!

RoadRanger:
Apple sez  0º and 35º C (32º to 95º F). It was 90 yesterday when I was running two - no problem. You obviously can't have them in the sun - you'd not be able to read it anyways.

iamdunker:
Yo road ranger,  thx for The reply.  Here in central eastern Iowa,  90 degrees f.  Can feel like 105.  Thehighsun and the 85% humidity.  I have no doubt that you were operating in the conditions you specified.  This was only one gig for me.  I had backup analog mackie board ready to go as I already knew that thehumid direct sunlight heat was going to present a problem.  My ipad would just not cooperate.  Believe me,  I tried and it cost me about 15 min down time but I was prepared.

RoadRanger:
It's not clear from your posts if the iPad was in direct sunlight or not? Is it an iPad 2 or 3? The latter runs hotter - mine are a "2" and "mini", the latter is based on the "2" I believe.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version