Author Topic: X series time table  (Read 12846 times)

CyberHippy

• Padawan
  • Bass Bass Bass
Re: X series time table
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2013, 05:53:39 PM »
I think the title of the post gives a clue? Then again its just as useless as the Dl without a iPad. The core can be controlled from the front panel unlike the DL. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. From a price point of view they're close enough from a capabilities point of view they're miles apart.

The title of the post is "X series time table" - so OK, you're informing us of the shipping time table for a product from a competitor, that isn't in direct price competition with the DL (both need the iPad to be truly useful, don't tell me you're going to be mixing a show using the front panel input on that thing).

As far as I can tell the entire purpose of your post and follow-up is to troll DL users, which given my response has been a rousing success.

@Jerry: "all the behringer digital mixers are in direct competition to Mackie D" … I disagree. None of them have the same functionality & price point, other than the X16 which is currently not available.

A friend of mine was very interested in the X32 but was struggling with the "Behringer" factor. He wound up getting the Soundcraft Expression 3, which I used at a show this past weekend. The other mixer he was looking at was the Presonus Studiolive 32. The DL1604 wasn't considered because it wasn't right for his needs. The guy that sold him the Expression said "You can thank Behringer for that - without them that would be a $10,000 mixer"

The X32 products mentioned in your post are not in direct competition with the DL1608 as they need an additional investment for I/O.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2013, 06:05:43 PM »
Once again it's about a time table of availability for the X series which seem to be of interest to a lot of the forum members and nothing else. So take your own advise Hippie and Shut Up!
When in doubt KISS

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2013, 10:37:54 PM »
Every mixing board on the planet is in direct competition with the Mackie. And behringer made theirs to have iPad control to DIRECTLY compete with any mixer that uses iPad control. Just because it more $ doesn't mean it's not in direct competition. That's like saying a Lamborghini is not in direct competition with Ferrari because there is a price difference. Guess what, they also complete with corvettes, porche and lotus all which are tons cheaper.

And you say they don't have the same functionality? Ok, they don't have a dock connector, but other than that not only do they have the same functionality but they have a lot more. And for only a little more $. I sure call that direct competition. A much, much better mixer for only a little more money. The $500 is puny compared to the features you get. If I wasn't playing a gig right now I would add a ton more to this.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 02:43:26 AM by RoadRanger »

CyberHippy

• Padawan
  • Bass Bass Bass
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2013, 03:48:52 PM »
<special sauce removed> Every mixing board on the planet is in direct competition with the Mackie. And behringer made theirs to have iPad control to DIRECTLY compete with any mixer that uses iPad control. Just because it more $ doesn't mean it's not in direct competition. That's like saying a Lamborghini is not in direct competition with Ferrari because there is a price difference. Guess what, they also complete with corvettes, porche and lotus all which are tons cheaper.

Soooo… "every mixing board on the planet is in direct competition with the Mackie" so the Soundcraft Vi series, DiGiCo, Digidesign Venue… all of them?

Clearly we have a different concept of "competition" - in my world there are niches where strong competition takes place (Ferari/Lamborghini in your comparison) and areas where there is no competition (Ferrari vs Corvette - the people who are buying Ferraris aren't looking at current Corvettes, possibly they're considering a '55 corvette for their collection).

In this case we're talking about a $999 mixer with 16 preamps and 8 outputs vs. a $999 mixer with digital I/O that requires further investment to get the sound sources into it. I don't see that as direct competition.

And you say they don't have the same functionality? Ok, they don't have a dock connector, but other than that not only do they have the same functionality but they have a lot more. And for only a little more $. I sure call that direct competition. A much, much better mixer for only a little more money. The $500 is puny compared to the features you get. If I wasn't playing a gig right now I would add a ton more to this.

The lack of preamps is actually the major difference in functionality I was referring to. The X32 is completely non-functional without an external I/O device, which costs money ($899 was the first I found in my quick search) so in reality to get to the same level of capability as the DL1608 your minimum investment is $1898 - that extra $899 is certainly going to be a major stumbling block for the average user (which is the demographic for the 1608).

The X16 will be direct competition for the DL1608 if it ever materializes.

Price point is one area of competition, name recognition and reputation is another of course. Many people have had perfectly good experiences with Behringer - for me their outboard gear and amps have worked well and consistently. But every time I've been asked to use one of their mixers there has been something wrong I had to work around on it - often the master fader has gone bad so you have to mix through aux's or alt. So my taste for their name is sour.

Once again it's about a time table of availability for the X series which seem to be of interest to a lot of the forum members and nothing else. So take your own advise Hippie and Shut Up!

Sorry I accused you of trolling, I get where you're coming from now. I've been doing a lot of festival work, running a stage & helping with the setup & teardown of main stages, so after several 50+-hour work-weekends I'm getting kinda burnt out… which makes me punchy.

And no, I'm not gonna Shut Up   ;D

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2013, 06:22:49 PM »
Cyber again you have no clue what you are talking about.  "The x32 is completely nonfunctional without an external I/O device." Please read what you are saying before you submit it. Maybe you haven't heard of the x32 rack, the x32 producer, the x32 compact or even the x32. All of which have a lot more I/O then the dl1608. You really need to get over the $$$$ thing. There are thousands and thousands of products in direct competition with other products that are priced way different. Direct competition is not all about price. It's more about needs and wants. I think your only need is to save $$$. And your only want is to have a narrow mind and believe that your opinion on price and competition, though very flawed, is the only one that matters. Isn't there a huge ad campaign on television right now regarding a windows tablet and a iPad? The biggest point they make is that one is $299 and the other is $699. But cyber, if we use your logic, they are not in competition at all. Too bad a billion dollar company disagrees with you.

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2013, 06:33:45 PM »
Something else to add to cybers flawed idea of competition. How many people remember the old forums where many were debating between the DL, presonus 16.4, and the line 6. With cybers thinking at 999 vs 1999 vs 2499 it shouldn't have been a debate at all because price level says that they are not in direct competition. Why would anyone even be talking about them if they weren't direct competition. Why did Mackie delete my post about the x32 rack if it wasn't direct competition? Why are we even talking about the x32 on another Mackie forums if they are not in direct competition? Etc etc etc …

CyberHippy

• Padawan
  • Bass Bass Bass
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2013, 08:09:14 PM »
Cyber again you have no clue what you are talking about.  "The x32 is completely nonfunctional without an external I/O device." Please read what you are saying before you submit it. Maybe you haven't heard of the x32 rack, the x32 producer, the x32 compact or even the x32. All of which have a lot more I/O then the dl1608. You really need to get over the $$$$ thing. There are thousands and thousands of products in direct competition with other products that are priced way different. Direct competition is not all about price. It's more about needs and wants. I think your only need is to save $$$. And your only want is to have a narrow mind and believe that your opinion on price and competition, though very flawed, is the only one that matters. Isn't there a huge ad campaign on television right now regarding a windows tablet and a iPad? The biggest point they make is that one is $299 and the other is $699. But cyber, if we use your logic, they are not in competition at all. Too bad a billion dollar company disagrees with you.

You're right, I was focused on the Core in my replies because it seemed like the closest price to the DL1608 (thus the argument about direct competition), but now I see the Compact and the Rack both have XLR/preamps.

So, really the Rack at $1499 is the real competition to the DL1608 until the X16 materializes.

It would certainly be a good choice for an advanced user like any of us in this conversation, but I've installed DL1608's in several small clubs & wine-tasting rooms (NorCal) and I would still go that way over the X32 Rack at this time - setup & training has been very successful and they have no need to hire an engineer for most of their shows.

Greg C.

• Forty-Two
  • Knight
    • Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2013, 06:01:19 PM »
Be that as it may, I can see installing the DL over the X32 Rack for novice users. The X32 generally speaking is a relatively complex beast. The DL "looks" more alike analog board to basic users that can barely operate an all-in-one PA head with hardly any knobs. Now if it were only myself and more experienced users running the mixer, X32 all the way.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 02:45:06 AM by RoadRanger »
Procrastinators of the World, Contemplate Uniting!

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2013, 10:11:22 PM »
The down side to all this that it's about LOVE, HATE, EGOS, and MONEY, but the good part is that it's NON-TRANSFERABLE. FGS it's a timetable!!!
Prove me wrong just send $$$.
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2013, 02:13:01 AM »
OK, I knew the dogsleds were faster than the slow boat from China. Finland has racks and not the ones on their reindeer. October 8th is actually the 8 week cycle and the current best guess from major suppliers is October 10. Not too far off after fighting those cruise ship pirates!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 02:14:52 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2013, 06:47:59 AM »
Finally after 12 weeks the rack is finally shipping from Sweetwater and others. Probably the most popular form of the X32 line is out in the US. This changes the otherwise consistent 8 week cycle from China. It was good while it lasted but still in time for Xmas.
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2013, 07:41:03 AM »
The iX16 apparently didn't fare to well. The latest from a B person is that it was redesigned to add more features. Hmmm were have I heard that before?
When in doubt KISS

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2013, 01:26:15 PM »
The iX16 apparently didn't fare to well. The latest from a B person is that it was redesigned to add more features. Hmmm were have I heard that before?
I'm guessing that they found that designing a wired interface for the iPads was a lot harder than the rest of the design. Apple sucks. OTOH I hope they are going to add a 1/8" stereo input and maybe a talkback input in addition to the 16 channels of a DL1608 - having to burn three channels for that sucks, a 16 channel mixer would be much more useful than the 13 you end up with on the DL1608 :( .

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2013, 03:36:21 PM »
I don't think that's the problem since they already have that in the iStudio. I think it has far more to do with production and factory space and people. I wouldn't be surprised if this is slated to be the first unit to be build in the new factory that's being build and targeted for completion in the fall of 2014 (with luck). Outsourcing this may be a bad decision and the damage if QC isn't super tight could be immense not to mention more costly. They could just let it trickle out of the present facility and bear the grumbling. Mackie now has to make a decision on when to release V2 now that they have more time. Should be interesting.
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2013, 08:42:20 AM »
Here's one for the conspiracy theorists. Mackie paid Sweetwater to buy up all the X32 racks and delay selling them for as long as they dared. V2 of MF needed more time.  >:D
When in doubt KISS