Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Pops on turn off - is it just me

<< < (2/2)

Greg C.:

--- Quote from: prosoundco guy on July 22, 2013, 02:30:01 PM ---You'll get a pop on power down with most mixers. Amps off first. No exceptions/ excuses for not following proper procedures.

--- End quote ---

I had a huge PTouch label on my processing rack at FOH for a while, "AMPS ON LAST. AMPS OFF 1st!". Then at a show on Saturday I bungled and had the amps powered up by mistake when I powered up the mixer. Normally the Avid Venues don't make noise powering them on or off. But this time it did, probably when the AES clock on my XTA speaker processor locked up to the desk. BOOM! Thank goodness I have the look-ahead limiters set correctly on the XTA or the horns probably would have blown. It was loud like a gun shot. Last year a mistake like that would have cost me ~ $2400 bucks as it could take out the TAD 1" compression drivers in my mains (4x $600 each). I swapped those 1" drivers this year for less costly and stronger 18 Sound 1" drivers. The 2" JBL drivers in the tops are far less fragile, but board power-on pops can certainly reduce their life expectancy :)

CyberHippy:
Yep, standard operating procedure for all setups - I've never met a mixer that doesn't pop on power on/off.

Fluddman:

--- Quote from: CyberHippy on July 23, 2013, 02:55:29 PM ---Yep, standard operating procedure for all setups - I've never met a mixer that doesn't pop on power on/off.

--- End quote ---

Agreed, but I've never had one as loud as the DL1608 and I can't believe it couldn't have been reduced. By comparison my Studiolive is amost silent.

Greg C.:

--- Quote from: Fluddman on July 23, 2013, 10:30:12 PM ---
--- Quote from: CyberHippy on July 23, 2013, 02:55:29 PM ---Yep, standard operating procedure for all setups - I've never met a mixer that doesn't pop on power on/off.

--- End quote ---

Agreed, but I've never had one as loud as the DL1608 and I can't believe it couldn't have been reduced. By comparison my Studiolive is amost silent.

--- End quote ---

A mechanical muting relay is usually required to for prevention of pops on power on/off of devices. The upside is relatively silent power cycling. The downside is potential failure and extra cost of manufacture. Before I made the jump to digital gear, I had a couple of Yamaha SPX90s where the muting relays failed and they wouldn't pass signal. They were pretty old though. I just removed the relays and put jumpers in to get them going. Just had to make sure the return channels on my mixer were muted before powering it on or off with a hot system. If I powered up my processing rack before the amps and/or mixer, it was never a worry at all.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version