Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

More Phantom Power questions

(1/2) > >>

Fluddman:
I know there has been some discussion on phantom power but I couldn't find answers to these questions.

With phantom power turned on;

1. Will phantom power be present on the 1/4'' TRS jacks on the combi inputs (channels 13 to 16)? (I assume the answer is yes as the manual says not to plug an unbalanced jack into these connectors when Phantom Power is on - supposedly as this would short out the phantom power).

2. Can I connect a direct out from an instrument amplifier (for example a Gallien Krueger bass amp) to the DL (The manual says some line level signal may be unhappy).

3. Is it safe to plug the outs of another mixer into the DL? (For example a keyboard submix).

Cheers

WK154:
Don't believe everything you read especially from a Mackie manual. On pg. 19 top they actually have it right balanced and unbalanced into TRS 13-16 connectors NO phantom power. The next page they try to tell you that aux 1-6 are inputs and outputs. An amazing piece of gear!
1. NO
2. Yes TRS 13-16.
3. Yes TRS 13-16.
Open that bottle of Cab from your last gig and have one on me. Somewhere I read that a good cab has a special affect on hi-pass filters.
Down under is on my list of places to visit someday soon.
G'day mate

Fluddman:

--- Quote from: WK154 on July 29, 2013, 04:08:25 AM ---Don't believe everything you read especially from a Mackie manual. On pg. 19 top they actually have it right balanced and unbalanced into TRS 13-16 connectors NO phantom power. The next page they try to tell you that aux 1-6 are inputs and outputs. An amazing piece of gear!
1. NO
2. Yes TRS 13-16.
3. Yes TRS 13-16.
Open that bottle of Cab from your last gig and have one on me. Somewhere I read that a good cab has a special affect on hi-pass filters.
Down under is on my list of places to visit someday soon.
G'day mate

--- End quote ---

Thanks WK.

Yeah, it could have been the Cab, Cab-Sav-Shiraz is my favorite, affecting my perception. We had a four hour wait between sound check and the actual gig so there was plenty of time to sample the local product.

This gig was in the Hunter Valley, which is a couple of hours north of Sydney. It is more famous for white wine, the red we were drinking comes from the Barossa Valley in South Australia. Both places are worth visiting if you ever get down under.

Cheers

Greg C.:

--- Quote from: Fluddman on July 29, 2013, 12:35:58 AM ---2. Can I connect a direct out from an instrument amplifier (for example a Gallien Krueger bass amp) to the DL (The manual says some line level signal may be unhappy)

--- End quote ---

I'll just add that with certain bass heads that have DI outputs which are intended for mic level inputs, you do have to be careful about phantom power. Not all built in DIs have protection for it and I've witnesses a few DI output circuits fry as well as the entire line output circuit after having phantom power applied. So generally speaking, make sure the phantom is turned off on the bass channel before connecting it directly to a bass amp's DI output.

Fluddman:

--- Quote from: Greg C. on July 29, 2013, 06:38:09 AM ---
--- Quote from: Fluddman on July 29, 2013, 12:35:58 AM ---2. Can I connect a direct out from an instrument amplifier (for example a Gallien Krueger bass amp) to the DL (The manual says some line level signal may be unhappy)

--- End quote ---

I'll just add that with certain bass heads that have DI outputs which are intended for mic level inputs, you do have to be careful about phantom power. Not all built in DIs have protection for it and I've witnesses a few DI output circuits fry as well as the entire line output circuit after having phantom power applied. So generally speaking, make sure the phantom is turned off on the bass channel before connecting it directly to a bass amp's DI output.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Greg. As WK154 suggested, best to use the TRS in on inputs 13 to 16 (be nice if they did a few more combo ins).

Cheers

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version