Author Topic: Please, step off the stage, just for a few!!!  (Read 16318 times)

ChordGirl

• Charter Member
  • Padawan
Please, step off the stage, just for a few!!!
« on: April 14, 2010, 04:08:57 PM »
The Mustang Sally thread got me thinking about this.  Have you ever seen a musician/band that you wish would take a break?  Not necessarily because they sucked, but just to give your ears/mind a break? 

There are a couple of people I know who just love to play so much that they'll sit there for 3-4 hours and play straight through, or only take 1 10 minute break.  It actually drives me nuts.  Both are acoustic solo acts, and one is actually pretty technically good with excellent tone.  The main problem is after I hear a solo act for 1 1/2 hours, I want to hear either silence for a few minutes, or the juke box for a few songs, just for a change of pace.   One of these guys actually brought 7 guitars to his last solo show, and played one tuned in open G for an hour.  That was the main reason I wanted him to stop.  One hours worth of songs in open G =  :o :o :o .  Talk about redundancy.   :facepalm:

Anyone else find this to be annoying?   

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
Re: Please, step off the stage, just for a few!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 04:22:22 PM »
At the very least the band should get out and mingle with the audience a bit ;).

ChordGirl

• Charter Member
  • Padawan
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 04:33:35 PM »
That was a small part of it, too.  He is a nice guy, and I went to see him play that gig.  I was going to hang out for an hour or 2 and leave.  I didn't even get to say hello to him between sets, so I was waiting for him to break.   :facepalm:  I guess I just should have left. 

monthlymixcd

• Charter Member
  • Padawan
  • Rink Rash is Sexy. Support Your Local Roller Girls
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 05:26:32 PM »
How GREAT could it have been if he threw in an Open G tune and switched guitars for it on every 3rd or 4th song... that would have been SO interesting... from a purely "aural excitement" angle.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 05:40:19 PM »
IME many solo acts are just that because they suck at interacting with other people...

rhat

• Charter Member
  • Youngling
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 08:37:24 PM »
The Mustang Sally thread got me thinking about this.  Have you ever seen a musician/band that you wish would take a break?  Not necessarily because they sucked, but just to give your ears/mind a break? 

There are a couple of people I know who just love to play so much that they'll sit there for 3-4 hours and play straight through, or only take 1 10 minute break.  It actually drives me nuts.  Both are acoustic solo acts, and one is actually pretty technically good with excellent tone.  The main problem is after I hear a solo act for 1 1/2 hours, I want to hear either silence for a few minutes, or the juke box for a few songs, just for a change of pace.   One of these guys actually brought 7 guitars to his last solo show, and played one tuned in open G for an hour.  That was the main reason I wanted him to stop.  One hours worth of songs in open G =  :o :o :o .  Talk about redundancy.   :facepalm:

Anyone else find this to be annoying?

In a way ,, but If the place pays on the register tape....you can increase your take by watching the bar
room and know damb well if you take that break , you will have people use it as the que to leave ,,
keep playing and you sell another round at a few tables.  I agree though ,,, a break is nice, especially
with a full band that is louder.  You need some chill time.  Its nice for the entertainers to mingle with
the peeps too.  that is a draw builder.  No hard fast rules really.

Nobody Told Me

• Charter Member
  • Youngling
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 12:18:16 PM »
I saw a band several years ago in a popular Des Moines rock bar.  They were soooooo loud that you wanted them to take a break.  The guitar player used 4 4x12 cabs (in a bar!).  I really felt sorry  for the people sitting in his "paint peeling" zone.  This was a cover band doing a 4 hour show, and we left less than halfway through  - it was just too painful to stay.

BillESC

• Preferred Vendor
  • Padawan
  • President of Entertainment Systems Corporation
    • Entertainment Systems Corporation
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 12:45:11 PM »
Hot Tuna used to jam for hours on end without a break.... at around 130dB.  Hated that job.
Thanks,

Bill ESC

Entertainment Systems Corporation
Innovative production services since 1973
800-582-2421
bill@entsyscorp.com

rhat

• Charter Member
  • Youngling
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 01:17:25 PM »
HUH??????

too loud is bad news.  We moved a regular gig we had to another bar this spring that is alot smaller
and is what I call the classic bunker room.   The first couple gigs there were too loud.  My hearing was
jacked up for a couple days.   Thank god its been moved again.  Now I just need to get my butt back
down to texas so I can play the thing. This moving deal is hell.  I think I have craigslist fatigue,,, but
the stuff is going out the door.  Thank god the for sale sign goes on the house next week..   

ChordGirl

• Charter Member
  • Padawan
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 04:39:12 PM »
Howdy Tim!!!!   :thu:

I totally agree that breaks sometimes need to be determined by the crowd flow.  I also definitely believe in breaks--because I feel like I need them.   :thu:   I'm just remembering a few circumstances where I wanted a break from the band myself.   :)

Hot Tuna used to jam for hours on end without a break.... at around 130dB.  Hated that job.

Are you being serious about hating that job, or are you just making fun of me?   :D   ;)

ChordGirl

• Charter Member
  • Padawan
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 04:42:40 PM »
I saw a band several years ago in a popular Des Moines rock bar.  They were soooooo loud that you wanted them to take a break.  The guitar player used 4 4x12 cabs (in a bar!) I really felt sorry  for the people sitting in his "paint peeling" zone.  This was a cover band doing a 4 hour show, and we left less than halfway through  - it was just too painful to stay.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

rhat

• Charter Member
  • Youngling
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 05:18:14 PM »
Howdy Tim!!!!   :thu:

I totally agree that breaks sometimes need to be determined by the crowd flow.  I also definitely believe in breaks--because I feel like I need them.   :thu:   I'm just remembering a few circumstances where I wanted a break from the band myself.   :)

Are you being serious about hating that job, or are you just making fun of me?   :D   ;)

I did alot of those jam nights 3 hours straight without a break.... we rotated guys through the band
sitting in.. and if a keyboard guy didnt show up I would end up playing all ,, night.  I would request a
zz pee song ,,, just to hit the jon since I liked to lay out of the power trio stuff. 

ChordGirl

• Charter Member
  • Padawan
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 05:26:11 PM »
We used to do that on occasion with my old band.  But we'd be rotating 4-7 lead singers in, and lots of different players, so it wasn't monotonous that way.  There are many bands I'd love to see play the whole time.  I'm sure yours is one of them.  :) 

rhat

• Charter Member
  • Youngling
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 05:35:12 PM »
We used to do that on occasion with my old band.  But we'd be rotating 4-7 lead singers in, and lots of different players, so it wasn't monotonous that way.  There are many bands I'd love to see play the whole time.  I'm sure yours is one of them.  :)

LOL   Well we do have a good time and so do the people that comes to the sunday gig.  We might be
real good or just get them whooped up enough that they dont wanna drive for several hours. its like a
stockcar race ,, they may just like thinking they will see a  crash.  We are pretty fearless  one knows
it one had heard it and a couple are clueless ,,, you get the key of the song and we will give it a whirl>  There There are no
egos on stage big enough to worry about too much.  Its just a fun night.  Live fire band practice so to
speak.  Watch hell.. .No way would you get off that easy ,,, you would be up there playing.  We would put ya to work. 
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 05:38:52 PM by rhat »

ChordGirl

• Charter Member
  • Padawan
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 05:57:21 PM »
 I sure am used to that practicing on stage thing.  ;D

I'll meet you in TX in a couple of months.   :thu:  LOL!