Author Topic: PLEASE URGENT HELP! Mackie Onyx 1640i Recording problem  (Read 5041 times)

mixerman

• Initiate
PLEASE URGENT HELP! Mackie Onyx 1640i Recording problem
« on: August 13, 2013, 11:47:41 AM »
Hey guys, I've been trying to find out how to fix this problem I have encountered with my Mackie Onyx 1640i through Tracktion 3 and it couldn't come at a worse time. I'm in the middle of recording an album (I'm only 17) and am about to record a band on sunday (both cash jobs) and my interface has gone an screwed with me.

I've been running my Mackie 1640i through Tracktion 3 windows xp for roughly a year and a half now with few avoidable problems. I tried getting help from techsupport/Mackie/tracktion who just told me to upgrade to tracktion 4 however I can't because the only computer with firewire is my windows xp setup that can't upgrade to windows 7 which means I can't upgrade to tracktion 4.

ANYWAY THE MAIN PROBLEM

The other day I was running 14 inputs (as usual) through Tracktion 3. When I finished recording I noticed tracks 5-8 had recorded but no audio picked up. Tracks 1-4 were fine but the remaining tracks were a weird mashup/duplicate of the vocal track coming through track 11. I've tried reinstalling drivers, programs and OS with no success, now I'm going to try another DAW program (Reaper, which I have no idea how to use) but I have a feeling it may be something wrong with the firewire connection. The mixer works perfectly fine but there is no audio recording for tracks 5-8 and I'm not sure if it's still under warranty. If anyone could help with this it would mean the world, I've tried getting help with so many others but no one has bothered to help/not known what's wrong.

Also the other day tracks 15 and 16 (the tracks I have the main stereo out from tracktion routed to) was making a weird digital delay noise that when turned up would go extremely loud. This doesn't happen anymore but maybe it's part of the problem.

I've contacted various technical help and am waiting on an email but I need this fixed urgently. If anyone knows what wrong your help is GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Thanks for your help

mixerman

• Initiate
Re: PLEASE URGENT HELP! Mackie Onyx 1640i Recording problem
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 01:46:16 PM »
Ok I just managed to hook it up to Cubase AI4 but same problem :(. All tracks record the right audio except 5-8 which again have nothing. They pick up audio on the mixer fine but appear to send nothing to the program? I hope this is just a digital issue and not an actual issue with the mixer.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Re: PLEASE URGENT HELP! Mackie Onyx 1640i Recording problem
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 11:51:55 PM »
You've pretty well exhausted all the receiving end and communications paths which unfortunately leaves the 1640i AD and serialization to Firewire circuits. My advise if you can swing it is rent a 1640i to complete your commitments, send the unit for repair and wait. The next step I would take is to sell it get a Midas U16 and don't look back.
When in doubt KISS